ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Slimmed-down QB Cameron Jones recaps UK visit

Hard work during Winter, Spring and Summer can/will make a difference come Fall. Never say never......

Slow....

"When Kosar showed up at the University of Miami in 1982 for his first day of practice, he was under the impression he was the heir apparent to senior Jim Kelly. Then he caught a glimpse of another freshman: Vinny Testaverde. "I ran a 5.6 40-yard dash, he ran a 4.7," Kosar said. "I barely could bench press a buck-85, he lifted 325. I was like, 'I'm dead.'" Kosar told head coach Howard Schnellenberger that he thought he had no chance against the physically superior Testaverde, so he intended to transfer. "If you are going to run from a challenge now, at 18, and go home to mommy, you'll probably do that your whole life," Schnellenberger told him. "If you give your best, you can look at yourself in the mirror, win or lose." Kosar stayed and beat out Testaverde, and at the age of 19, as a redshirt freshman, Kosar led Miami to a national championship."

He's another Tom Brady? We better get him to commit now...

The odds say it's highly doubtful for any HS QB as being another Brady. The suggestion behind my two posts: Don't be so quick to write-off a 16-year old QB based on him being slow afoot. Rather encourage a 16-year old kid to work hard, than to dismiss as too slow. It's been said before by those much wiser than me: A 40 time is the least meaningful combine measurement of a QB.

"The 40-yard dash hasn't been a strong predictor of much of anything among quarterbacks with some of the best passers in the league finishing with some of the slowest times. For quarterbacks, measurements and the throwing drills are the most important parts of the NFL Combine and timing drills don't do much to sway opinions."

Reactions: mattrudd
The odds say it's highly doubtful for any HS QB as being another Brady. The suggestion behind my two posts: Don't be so quick to write-off a 16-year old QB based on him being slow afoot. Rather encourage a 16-year old kid to work hard, than to dismiss as too slow. It's been said before by those much wiser than me: A 40 time is the least meaningful combine measurement of a QB.

"The 40-yard dash hasn't been a strong predictor of much of anything among quarterbacks with some of the best passers in the league finishing with some of the slowest times. For quarterbacks, measurements and the throwing drills are the most important parts of the NFL Combine and timing drills don't do much to sway opinions."

The foot speed question basically came into play when the question of moving to another position came into the discussion.

Of course a QB can be slow of foot but in today's college game, and our offense in particular with proliferation of the RPOs, a cement footed statue is less desired.

As I watch any of these HUDL videos I exit the screen and wonder....
How do you choose one guy over another? All these players look good to me on video... I'd like a Cameron Jones on my team as I would all the rest I see posted of UK QB's that we show interest... We're paying big bucks for guys like Gran to make the decision on who gets offers... I don't know where CJ plays but his move to Lexington and better competition could tell the tale.

Reactions: jauk11
The foot speed question basically came into play when the question of moving to another position came into the discussion.

Of course a QB can be slow of foot but in today's college game, and our offense in particular with proliferation of the RPOs, a cement footed statue is less desired.

No worries. Don't know whether this kid is a "cement'-footed statute' or not, but what I do know is that with hard-work the kid can improve (significantly), including his foot speed, agility, footwork.

On a curious side note, would Andre Woodson be considered a cement footed statute who would not receive a scholarship offer from today's UK?

Would Bernie Kosar, he with the 5.6 40 time upon entering college be passed on by today's college recruiters?

This year will tell the tale. Transferred to play against better competition and get more exposure. Will be interesting to see how that turns out

Reactions: mattrudd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT