ADVERTISEMENT

sliding discussion

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
Was listing to MLB-radio discussion, and with Zobrist of TB dislocating his thumb sliding head first, of course the discussion of head first vs feet first came up. The one guy (I think Hollandsworth) was arguing that you should never slide head first because of hand/wrist injuries. I would argue that you are just as likely to injure a knee or ankle feet first. In both cases the injury is often due to bad technique. And the knee/ankle injuries often last longer than do the hand/wrist ones. Lastly the runner should get there faster with a head first slide than with a feet first slide. But each have their advantages, and I think there are situations where each might be better. Advantages include:
Feet first- easier (especially for a player who doesn't slide much); can pop-up quicker (helpful on an errant throw)
Head first- gets you there faster, can better avoid a tag

Next on sliding, I think I was this discussed on the MLB Network a month or so ago, is sliding into 1B. All of the analysts except Harold Reynolds was saying you should never do that. I disagree with that too. But I think it's rare where that may help, and really does help if the player is shorter and used to head first slides. Video tape proves that it gets you to the base faster. That's why sprinters lunge their body forward at the end of a race. As Reynolds pointed out, to avoid/limit injury, unlike other bases, you can slide past 1B, you just need to tap it with your hand. So you might be doing it a 1/4 step later than another base. Still an injury risk, while still low, is higher than simply running through the base. So I think the situation may also dictate when you might do this.

Others thoughts:
Feet first vs Head first?
Head first into 1B or never?

Feet first vs head first to me was always just based on instinct and feel.

If I felt the ball was going to beat me on a tag play I was going head first, could avoid the tag better.

On a force out or a close play that I thought I'd beat I would go feet first. Always feet first at home as well.

On new field turf you gotta go pop-up slide or head first slide and grab the bag because that stuff is slick and you'll go right on past it.

Head first into 1b - I would only do this when seeing a bad throw pull 1b off the base and try to dodge the sweep tag...other than that I do not believe it is faster and think it is slower...I do believe however that it can make the call tougher for the umpire.

All in all, sliding should be practiced...very important to learn how to do it each technique and correctly.
This post was edited on 5/16 11:33 AM by CatsFanGG24

Feet first, you at least have the protection of your shoe or cleats to hopefully minimize injury, though I have seen ankles get broken when getting hung up. I remember a few years ago that happening to the pirates catcher. It was pretty gruesome.

As for sliding into first, the key is staying in foul territory after the slide if you slide past the bag. Any movement into fair territory or that can be construed as towards second can get you tagged out.

Originally posted by trueblujr2:

As for sliding into first, the key is staying in foul territory after the slide if you slide past the bag. Any movement into fair territory or that can be construed as towards second can get you tagged out.
No. Unless you make a feint to 2nd, doesn't matter where you slide or if standing/running, which way you turn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT