ADVERTISEMENT

Skyy Clark official visit to Kentucky next month

I’m glad he getting a visit in now rather than later. This should either cement his commitment or cause him to look elsewhere. I hope he will be CAT. My son knew him in Nashville and said he is N outstanding young man on and off the court.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
How much better is Johnson than Clark?

(I know from reading here that Johnson may go to one of those pro leagues)
Dior's talented, but he's flaky. I'm not taking him as a serious option until UK signed him because he's the type of kid who could end changing his list 100 more times, say he's going to a school and then within 2 mins sign with one of the alternative leagues.

Clark's issue has been that others have caught/passed him in age group and he's also added bad weight. Kevin Boyle told him he needs to drop 15/20 lbs to play. People who go to these events and are friendly with UK staff have not been kind to how he's played but he's surrounded by a bunch of enablers who hype him all the damn time.

Rivals rankings come out and it'll be interesting if politics play a role because guy I trust a great deal said he's seen 20-25 GUARDS better then Clark this Spring--not players--GUARDS.

Also doesn't help when you've lied about things--because 6'4 guys with 39 inch verticals leap out off the screen--you can't improve until you face reality and listen to criticism. Lying about things isn't going to make it come true. Closer to 6'0 then 6'4, and hasn't shot well, turned it over, and can't defend opposing guards. It's been ugly. Up to him to get it right but he seems more interested in being famous and using UK to promote his brand then improving. And doing 180's before you take a step back or side step 3 isn't helping things. Work on making shots in games and getting in shape.

Dior's talented, but he's flaky. I'm not taking him as a serious option until UK signed him because he's the type of kid who could end changing his list 100 more times, say he's going to a school and then within 2 mins sign with one of the alternative leagues.

Clark's issue has been that others have caught/passed him in age group and he's also added bad weight. Kevin Boyle told him he needs to drop 15/20 lbs to play. People who go to these events and are friendly with UK staff have not been kind to how he's played but he's surrounded by a bunch of enablers who hype him all the damn time.

Rivals rankings come out and it'll be interesting if politics play a role because guy I trust a great deal said he's seen 20-25 GUARDS better then Clark this Spring--not players--GUARDS.

Also doesn't help when you've lied about things--because 6'4 guys with 39 inch verticals leap out off the screen--you can't improve until you face reality and listen to criticism. Lying about things isn't going to make it come true. Closer to 6'0 then 6'4, and hasn't shot well, turned it over, and can't defend opposing guards. It's been ugly. Up to him to get it right but he seems more interested in being famous and using UK to promote his brand then improving. And doing 180's before you take a step back or side step 3 isn't helping things. Work on making shots in games and getting in shape.
sheesh 20-25 guards that’s tough . I always wondered your thought on Dior . I didn’t know if he gave off Josh Christopher vibes

Damn nation, so Clark got all fat on us?

So who in your opinion is the best PG in the class?

Damn nation, so Clark got all fat on us?

So who in your opinion is the best PG in the class?
I've not seen them all so unfair to comment but a guy I'm very high on is Jazian Gortman. He is Duke's #1 PG target in the class. From South Carolina. Athletic, quick, can shoot/distribute. I love Dior's game/talent, Cason Wallace as a combo-think he's better then Skyy in that regard, Tre Holloman (a better version of Jaden Bradley) from MN, Bradley as a distributor first--problem is he still can't make a shot, Jayden Epps has looked very good this Spring and just got Kansas offer, Rodney Rice, Thompson Twin who runs PG (get them confused and obviously won't matter now they are with Overtime), Corey Floyd who is running PG for Team Final/UConn commit, Bryce Griggs who is a guy who plays like Clark but has made more shots this Spring, Arterio Morris is the most talented but has off the court stuff-but if you watch highlights of him he looks like a UK guard. Zion Cruz, Derrian Ford, and Chandler Jackson has had a huge Spring to this point as well. So off the top of my head I named 14/15 guys who I've heard more about and some others have been mentioned to friends but they've not seen them play yet. I'm excluding some guys who are wings but play a lot of PG for their AAU teams too.

Clark's film as a younger player is what you'd expect, his film the past year is trash. He looks slow, doesn't make shots, puts up training videos against air/chairs and has hype men acting like he's De'Aaron Fox. Then he's in games and hasn't played well. The most talked about guard in MoKan elite system with guys I speak with is 16U Bryson Warren from Arkansas and many think MoKan would've won the games they've lost if he was running the team instead of Clark.

I appreciate the honesty. These are not good things to hear. If he is just riding the UK commit hype and not working, could be Askew all over again and that is not acceptable imo.

If Wheelers stays 2 years, could he and Cason Wallace work in the backcourt?

A long time for that worry, but if Skyy is fading and dropping, Cal and UK need to move on if the kid is not willing to put in the work and is content to just have the UK commit tag to prop him up.

I appreciate the honesty. These are not good things to hear. If he is just riding the UK commit hype and not working, could be Askew all over again and that is not acceptable imo.
It's up to the player to do what is needed. He's only person in all this that controls his performance. But being a HS celebrity doesn't mean you are better then others. What bothers most of the people who attend these things is they watch him play the entire game and every game in an event. They are there as eyes/ears and most elite programs do the same. The reports from media may hype him up say one thing and these guys just got done seeing him get 3 fouls in a Half because he couldn't and wouldn't move his feet on defense against a more athletic guard. The clip where he gets destroyed by Thompson Twin and then didn't even fight/cut hard to get open in a sequence your team loses by 1 point-and you personally gave up 4 pts in less then 5 secs. Gortman killed him....and Skyy refused to acknowledge the ass kicking let alone his comments about "We're all out there to try and make each other better"--ugh---the other guys are out to kill and see his ranking and are killing. That's how competitive people are built and that's what Kevin Boyle flat out told him-and why he's got to get in better shape and get better overall. So what the hell are these trainers telling him? Or do they not care because they are getting $?

He's got one trainer who has produced 2 busts at elite blueblood schools--Mark Edwards. The guy had Ryan Harrow and Derryck Thornton. Harrow you know about. Thornton attended Duke, then USC, and then ended up at Boston College. So between his 2 hyped prodigies, they attended 6 schools and couldn't handle the spotlight at the highest level. One respected recruiting guy off the record doesn't think Skyy's cut out for the UK type of environment either. So there's a lot here to raise more then an eyebrow--add him being a Justus recruit and the guys who are at these events are not sending back glowing reports.

So what will he do? More edits? Workouts against air where he's wasting time doing **** you never will do against a player in an actual game? Or stay off the grid and work? All players work on their game. Most of them don't broadcast the work because it speaks for itself.

If Wheelers stays 2 years, could he and Cason Wallace work in the backcourt?

A long time for that worry, but if Skyy is fading and dropping, Cal and UK need to move on if the kid is not willing to put in the work and is content to just have the UK commit tag to prop him up.
No idea but I'm just sharing what I'm told and from those who have been on site to see the Spring. As I've always said, he'd not be the PG I'd target, but if he shows up to Lexington, hope it works out, but would be lying if I told you I've liked anything I've seen for the past year.

sheesh 20-25 guards that’s tough . I always wondered your thought on Dior . I didn’t know if he gave off Josh Christopher vibes
That's based on how he/they've played this Spring. I told a few people if you watch his film when he was younger, I get the excitement and hype. He looks the part and is quick and more explosive. Now he looks thick, slow, lacks lateral quickness, and he gets abused on defensive end too much. Has had to carry a name/rep for a longtime and maybe that's gotten to him but biggest problem being reported back is all the yes men around him/family that keep telling him he's playing great and is the best....etc....it's built a need for constant reassurance and seeking "love" from fans. Nobody's out there with you on the court, so that doesn't matter. It's how you play and you fall back to your training and he's looked unprepared while others are improving and getting better.

Dior has a different background. Christopher is one of the biggest ass***** off the court you can imagine. Friend told me that and he informed UK staff. Of course Poison Joel was going to bring him and Jalen Green in (Insert Coach O's We need to know tomorrow's news yesterday compared to Poison Joel's let's find out about yesterday's news next year) with Askew as the PG. So we'd have lost Green to G-League, had Christopher who was part of a team worse then UK in '21 and we all saw Askew. It's why the Poison was sent to Tempe.

It's up to the player to do what is needed. He's only person in all this that controls his performance. But being a HS celebrity doesn't mean you are better then others. What bothers most of the people who attend these things is they watch him play the entire game and every game in an event. They are there as eyes/ears and most elite programs do the same. The reports from media may hype him up say one thing and these guys just got done seeing him get 3 fouls in a Half because he couldn't and wouldn't move his feet on defense against a more athletic guard. The clip where he gets destroyed by Thompson Twin and then didn't even fight/cut hard to get open in a sequence your team loses by 1 point-and you personally gave up 4 pts in less then 5 secs. Gortman killed him....and Skyy refused to acknowledge the ass kicking let alone his comments about "We're all out there to try and make each other better"--ugh---the other guys are out to kill and see his ranking and are killing. That's how competitive people are built and that's what Kevin Boyle flat out told him-and why he's got to get in better shape and get better overall. So what the hell are these trainers telling him? Or do they not care because they are getting $?

He's got one trainer who has produced 2 busts at elite blueblood schools--Mark Edwards. The guy had Ryan Harrow and Derryck Thornton. Harrow you know about. Thornton attended Duke, then USC, and then ended up at Boston College. So between his 2 hyped prodigies, they attended 6 schools and couldn't handle the spotlight at the highest level. One respected recruiting guy off the record doesn't think Skyy's cut out for the UK type of environment either. So there's a lot here to raise more then an eyebrow--add him being a Justus recruit and the guys who are at these events are not sending back glowing reports.

So what will he do? More edits? Workouts against air where he's wasting time doing **** you never will do against a player in an actual game? Or stay off the grid and work? All players work on their game. Most of them don't broadcast the work because it speaks for itself.

Gortman. Guess he will be Duke bound. Which sucks because I hate them. But..

Who's he comparable to?

Gortman. Guess he will be Duke bound. Which sucks because I hate them. But..

Who's he comparable to?
Thing with '22 class is a lot of teams are going to have great classes, but Duke is looking strong at moment for: Jazian Gortman, Dariq Whitehead, and Kyle Flipowski who is a '22 version of Laettner in both how he plays--but also the edge he plays with. He manhandled the Team Final Frontline and that's their only loss in AAU this Spring--to his Rens team. He took Duren outside and dominated. Lively couldn't handle him either. Very skilled and has a great game.

So many possibilities in this class for several schools though. I was talking with friend and he said a guy who is 5th option at a position could be #1 recruit for most classes (school wise, not overall ranking) in the country in past years.

That's based on how he/they've played this Spring. I told a few people if you watch his film when he was younger, I get the excitement and hype. He looks the part and is quick and more explosive. Now he looks thick, slow, lacks lateral quickness, and he gets abused on defensive end too much. Has had to carry a name/rep for a longtime and maybe that's gotten to him but biggest problem being reported back is all the yes men around him/family that keep telling him he's playing great and is the best....etc....it's built a need for constant reassurance and seeking "love" from fans. Nobody's out there with you on the court, so that doesn't matter. It's how you play and you fall back to your training and he's looked unprepared while others are improving and getting better.

Dior has a different background. Christopher is one of the biggest ass***** off the court you can imagine. Friend told me that and he informed UK staff. Of course Poison Joel was going to bring him and Jalen Green in (Insert Coach O's We need to know tomorrow's news yesterday compared to Poison Joel's let's find out about yesterday's news next year) with Askew as the PG. So we'd have lost Green to G-League, had Christopher who was part of a team worse then UK in '21 and we all saw Askew. It's why the Poison was sent to Tempe.
So glad he’s gone. So glad. Also, thanks for the email, I responded.

Thing with '22 class is a lot of teams are going to have great classes, but Duke is looking strong at moment for: Jazian Gortman, Dariq Whitehead, and Kyle Flipowski who is a '22 version of Laettner in both how he plays--but also the edge he plays with. He manhandled the Team Final Frontline and that's their only loss in AAU this Spring--to his Rens team. He took Duren outside and dominated. Lively couldn't handle him either. Very skilled and has a great game.

So many possibilities in this class for several schools though. I was talking with friend and he said a guy who is 5th option at a position could be #1 recruit for most classes (school wise, not overall ranking) in the country in past years.

Any Wagner insights?

Pretty eye opening that Duren and Lively got taken to school. Have they reached their peak?

No idea but I'm just sharing what I'm told and from those who have been on site to see the Spring. As I've always said, he'd not be the PG I'd target, but if he shows up to Lexington, hope it works out, but would be lying if I told you I've liked anything I've seen for the past year.
Sounds like he's riding on his laurels and not being pushed or told anything but what he wants to hear.

Any Wagner insights?

Pretty eye opening that Duren and Lively got taken to school. Have they reached their peak?
Wagner is quiet assassin. You won't hear anything-he just plays. His team is made up of mostly '23 guys and they are playing up on 17U level which is great to see. He looks like he's grown an inch or two as well. Likely closer to 6'4 then 6'1. Had a rough weekend shooting at Southern Invitational last weekend but he plays hard all the time.

Not at all. Jalen Duren and Dereck Lively are awesome talents. It may have been the big weekend they had before got them cocky and Rens are always a tough organization and compete. They had a lot better teammates for Flipowski then Bates had--so when Jalen went out and tried to defend Kyle--he was getting caught. That's why you compete/play and it's how you get better. We all saw how he responded this past weekend.

These are still young guys. It's best to watch the longer version of the games that are still edited but at least show them missing shots, getting beat, etc....instead of the highlights where they never miss, always are dunking on someone, look perfect. Jalen Duren is about as perfect of a frontcourt prospect as you could draw up. His passing is NBA level for a 6'10 240 lb specimen. Lively has arguably the most upside and is a huge Anthony Davis fan. Flipowski just played really well and is a great player too. This is how it should be-great players going at it and you don't always dominate/win. Now Team Final added Emoni Bates--they'd have likely won that game as Bates would've been a weapon they didn't have, but it's fun to see guys going at it.

As a pure PG prospect, Tre Holloman is up there. He is a tremendous passer/defensive player. Former Mpls North guard as a 7th/8th grader and then transferred to Cretin Derham Hall in St. Paul. He's 6'2 and long armed but a tremendous passer/distributor. He outplayed another highly regarded guard this past weekend in Seth Tremble of Team Phenom. (Tyler Herro's team) Tremble is blowing up and has recent offer from Michigan. Holloman is offered by Michigan State, UVA, MN, Purdue, Michigan is showing interest but grew up a huge Kentucky fan. He loved the Fox/Monk backcourt. He is a winner and led team to wins over Jalen Suggs, Chet Holmgren and Minnehaha 2x-once as an 8th grader and then 10th grader--giving them one of 3 losses. I want to see him play Jaden Bradley head up because in person seeing both, I like Tre more. Longer/taller and better court vision. Both need better jumpers but I know Tre shoots 80+ percent from FT line so it's possible to improve his jumper--Bradley's lack of jumper is still a concern but he's a great PG too. Holloman also is a D1 FB recruit getting major offers after playing DB last year for first time. If Holloman was in '21 class, he'd have been a top 3 PG prospect, In this class he's around 10th right now but I love the guy's game. Looks a little like Wood Harris the actor who played Avon Barksdale in The Wire.

Wagner is quiet assassin. You won't hear anything-he just plays. His team is made up of mostly '23 guys and they are playing up on 17U level which is great to see. He looks like he's grown an inch or two as well. Likely closer to 6'4 then 6'1. Had a rough weekend shooting at Southern Invitational last weekend but he plays hard all the time.

Not at all. Jalen Duren and Dereck Lively are awesome talents. It may have been the big weekend they had before got them cocky and Rens are always a tough organization and compete. They had a lot better teammates for Flipowski then Bates had--so when Jalen went out and tried to defend Kyle--he was getting caught. That's why you compete/play and it's how you get better. We all saw how he responded this past weekend.

These are still young guys. It's best to watch the longer version of the games that are still edited but at least show them missing shots, getting beat, etc....instead of the highlights where they never miss, always are dunking on someone, look perfect. Jalen Duren is about as perfect of a frontcourt prospect as you could draw up. His passing is NBA level for a 6'10 240 lb specimen. Lively has arguably the most upside and is a huge Anthony Davis fan. Flipowski just played really well and is a great player too. This is how it should be-great players going at it and you don't always dominate/win. Now Team Final added Emoni Bates--they'd have likely won that game as Bates would've been a weapon they didn't have, but it's fun to see guys going at it.

As a pure PG prospect, Tre Holloman is up there. He is a tremendous passer/defensive player. Former Mpls North guard as a 7th/8th grader and then transferred to Cretin Derham Hall in St. Paul. He's 6'2 and long armed but a tremendous passer/distributor. He outplayed another highly regarded guard this past weekend in Seth Tremble of Team Phenom. (Tyler Herro's team) Tremble is blowing up and has recent offer from Michigan. Holloman is offered by Michigan State, UVA, MN, Purdue, Michigan is showing interest but grew up a huge Kentucky fan. He loved the Fox/Monk backcourt. He is a winner and led team to wins over Jalen Suggs, Chet Holmgren and Minnehaha 2x-once as an 8th grader and then 10th grader--giving them one of 3 losses. I want to see him play Jaden Bradley head up because in person seeing both, I like Tre more. Longer/taller and better court vision. Both need better jumpers but I know Tre shoots 80+ percent from FT line so it's possible to improve his jumper--Bradley's lack of jumper is still a concern but he's a great PG too. Holloman also is a D1 FB recruit getting major offers after playing DB last year for first time. If Holloman was in '21 class, he'd have been a top 3 PG prospect, In this class he's around 10th right now but I love the guy's game. Looks a little like Wood Harris the actor who played Avon Barksdale in The Wire.

Great info. Thank you for all the info that you give to us.

On Monday night, Clark tweeted that he would take an official visit to UK on the weekend of June 11. On Tuesday, his father praised Kentucky’s new coaches, saying the family is in constant contact with Coleman and that Clark also talks regularly with Calipari and Antigua.

“We love those dudes,” Kenny Clark said. “They’ve showed us nothing but love. It just makes it feel right. Those dudes are definitely making him feel like a priority. Even though they’re new — and we had built a relationship with Coach Justus — we’re locked in with the University of Kentucky. That’s not changing.”

The elder Clark said his son and the rest of the family were looking forward to getting back on UK’s campus next month. They visited Lexington in early 2020 — just a few weeks before COVID-19 shut down college recruiting travel — and the NCAA-mandated “dead period” that followed restricted high school recruits from visiting college campuses.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...cruiting/article251676783.html?#storylink=cpy

Feels like UK is playing catch up. Looking at who has UK offers, the only player I feel UK has a shot with is Sharpe.

Off Topic: So is it true Bradley Beal Elite's coach doesn't want his kids going to UK? Both Smith and Miller are being recruited by UK.

On Monday night, Clark tweeted that he would take an official visit to UK on the weekend of June 11. On Tuesday, his father praised Kentucky’s new coaches, saying the family is in constant contact with Coleman and that Clark also talks regularly with Calipari and Antigua.

“We love those dudes,” Kenny Clark said. “They’ve showed us nothing but love. It just makes it feel right. Those dudes are definitely making him feel like a priority. Even though they’re new — and we had built a relationship with Coach Justus — we’re locked in with the University of Kentucky. That’s not changing.”

The elder Clark said his son and the rest of the family were looking forward to getting back on UK’s campus next month. They visited Lexington in early 2020 — just a few weeks before COVID-19 shut down college recruiting travel — and the NCAA-mandated “dead period” that followed restricted high school recruits from visiting college campuses.

Read more here: https://www.kentucky.com/sports/col...cruiting/article251676783.html?#storylink=cpy
Backs up what @ralphdaltonfan has been saying. The Clark family’s biggest priority is feeling like a priority and “getting love.”

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Backs up what @ralphdaltonfan has been saying. The Clark family’s biggest priority is feeling like a priority and “getting love.”
Yea but skyy may have exactly what chin and Antigua are looking for too. Know they can get him on campus and with a couple of adjustments have the best guard option of the class. I'm not saying this is the case, but I'll take my chances on what chin Coleman believes. We don't for sure know what that is yet...

Yea but skyy may have exactly what chin and Antigua are looking for too. Know they can get him on campus and with a couple of adjustments have the best guard option of the class. I'm not saying this is the case, but I'll take my chances on what chin Coleman believes. We don't for sure know what that is yet...
I trust this staff when it comes to evaluations and judgment. Absolutely agree on that 100%.

And Askew was committed to returning and working on his game....
He got what he wanted--a bunch of likes and fans sucking up to him. That's what this dude's entire last year has consisted of. Go kick some ass on the court and then that statement means a lot more. Right now it's a method of positive reinforcement for the L's he's been taking against peers. Brand, hype, "love" all that crap doesn't mean anything when you take the court.

He got what he wanted--a bunch of likes and fans sucking up to him. That's what this dude's entire last year has consisted of. Go kick some ass on the court and then that statement means a lot more. Right now it's a method of positive reinforcement for the L's he's been taking against peers. Brand, hype, "love" all that crap doesn't mean anything when you take the court.
I think we should rescind his offer. Give me Sharpe, one of Smith/George and Dior Johnson/Cason Wallace and lets roll.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT