ADVERTISEMENT

Skal and Willie are ballin!

Jamal Murray was going at Damien Lee earlier. I just got to catch a few minutes of it and Murray had about 23 points by then.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Kings sure wasted a top pick on that Pap guy. Guy looks awful. Wish I was 7 foot and 250

James Ham, CSN California

James Ham ‏@James_Ham Jul 10
Skal Labissiere has a chance to be really special. He needs to get stronger, but he can shoot, dribble and has a silky touch.

On a personal level, I wish Skal had come back. I'm happy he has guaranteed money, but he had nowhere to go but up in next year's draft. There's a really high probability he'd have gone in the lottery, even with the notion of a better draft next season.

C - Skal
F- Bam
G - Briscoe
G - Monk
G - Fox

With Gabriel as the energy guy off the bench and Willis as the situational shooter.

On a personal level, I wish Skal had come back. I'm happy he has guaranteed money, but he had nowhere to go but up in next year's draft. There's a really high probability he'd have gone in the lottery, even with the notion of a better draft next season.

C - Skal
F- Bam
G - Briscoe
G - Monk
G - Fox

With Gabriel as the energy guy off the bench and Willis as the situational shooter.
Willis may have to be more than a situational shooter.

C - Skal
F- Bam
G - Briscoe
G - Monk
G - Fox

That's true but if he had another season like he did this past year he could've dropped out of the first round altogether. Staying doesn't always equate to improving. It could also mean more time showing your flaws. Skal May have wanted to strike while the iron was hot.

Reactions: awf
Hate to look like a homer here but I think only Cal can get a guy like Skal who only played the game just a year before coming to a college and turning him into a star in the making shows how awesome our coach is. The way Cal turned him around in mid Feb and to where he is now just shows why recruits should play for Cal. Skal was lost and soft and now he is showing what he's made of. Made a fool out of me and is looking good. I'm glad he is now living his dream and playing well. Thought his career would be over by next season.

Not all credit to just Cal, he worked his butt off as well.

Reactions: jameslee32
Hate to look like a homer here but I think only Cal can get a guy like Skal who only played the game just a year before coming to a college and turning him into a star in the making shows how awesome our coach is. The way Cal turned him around in mid Feb and to where he is now just shows why recruits should play for Cal. Skal was lost and soft and now he is showing what he's made of. Made a fool out of me and is looking good. I'm glad he is now living his dream and playing well. Thought his career would be over by next season.

Forget about Cal. Looks to me like big bro' WCS has turned him around.:D

Reactions: Big Cat fan

C - Skal
F- Bam
G - Briscoe
G - Monk
G - Fox

History tells us that this is not necessarily the case.

I thought it was weird that Thon Maker went so far ahead of Skal. I can totally understand why certain teams might not have been willing to pull the trigger on Skal, given how he performed at UK, but if you're going to take a chance on a skinny 7 foot forward type, what makes you think that Thon Maker is the better choice?

And now Maker has gone and done something amazing. He fouled out of his game yesterday. Fouling out of a summer league game is truly epic, since you get 10, and the game is only 40 minutes long.

Reactions: Sithlyone
The more I see of Skal in the summer league, the more obvious it is that something was off mentally last year. The pressure from family/guardians to be 1 and done? Fear of injury?

He's showing the talent everyone knew he had. It's just summer league but still.

The more I see of Skal in the summer league, the more obvious it is that something was off mentally last year. The pressure from family/guardians to be 1 and done? Fear of injury?

He's showing the talent everyone knew he had. It's just summer league but still.
Honestly, I just don't think Cal utilized him properly and it was too late by the time he tried to make the adjustment. Cal figured it out in February that Skal was never going to be a true 'back to the basket' player. And by then, it was too late to be able to fine tune him. Now that he's had work in the offseason as more of a stretch 4 type of player, he's been able to improve his game. I think Cal saw him as more of a Willie-type of athlete when he first got on campus, but he's obviously more polished offensively than even Cal realized.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
it is obvious that he is playing as a 4. He is playing right now just like he did in high school when he was ranked so high. I said many times last year that he is not a back-to-the-basket player.we would have had a better team if Humphries was playing Center Skal was on the outside as a stretch 4.
I am still singing people listing him as a center. He is not a center

I hope this doesn't hurt Cal in recruiting. Whatever the reasons where as to why he didn't play well here was, it looks really bad.

I think the BBN pressure is far more than he anticipated and the fact that he had pressure to be a OAD really weighed on him. Now all he has to do is focus on BB and our fan base isn't a constant in his life.

You can hear the negative recruiting going on. "See how badly Cal used Skal? You don't want to go there. He dropped out of the lottery. She how well he is playing now? It proves it wasn't Skals fault..." and so on.

6 rebounds? Who is this guy. There must have been a real Space Jam situation going on while Skal was here.

Must have been some long rebounds that he caught 20' from the basket.

Given his skillset, and lack of physicality, could Skal be a 3 in the NBA?

Honestly, I just don't think Cal utilized him properly and it was too late by the time he tried to make the adjustment. Cal figured it out in February that Skal was never going to be a true 'back to the basket' player. And by then, it was too late to be able to fine tune him. Now that he's had work in the offseason as more of a stretch 4 type of player, he's been able to improve his game. I think Cal saw him as more of a Willie-type of athlete when he first got on campus, but he's obviously more polished offensively than even Cal realized.

I think Cal tried to use the Davis & Towns plan on him. Which was to develop/show/prove that you have a low post game, and then the outside game (that you already have) is just icing on the cake (and are a threat with the ball anywhere on the court). Davis & Towns were able to do that. Skal probably could have done it in 2-3 years, but in just one year he simply was not strong enough to do that. It took Cal probably a month longer than it should have to realize that.

Must have been some long rebounds that he caught 20' from the basket.

Given his skillset, and lack of physicality, could Skal be a 3 in the NBA?
No chance. Part of his struggle at UK was that he had terrible footwork and seemingly slow reactions. And that was playing mostly in the lane. How bad would he look trying to guard some 6'8" athletic beast like Kawhi Leonard 25 feet from the basket?

He's purely a stretch 4. If you're the Kings, you encourage him to extend his shooting range out to the 3 point line, and hope that his length can make him a lane/rim protector on D. And with the way the league is trending towards smallball, you cross your fingers that he doesn't have to try to guard very many 250 lbs+ power forwards capable of pushing him out of the way and dunking on his head.

I hope this doesn't hurt Cal in recruiting. Whatever the reasons where as to why he didn't play well here was, it looks really bad.

I think the BBN pressure is far more than he anticipated and the fact that he had pressure to be a OAD really weighed on him. Now all he has to do is focus on BB and our fan base isn't a constant in his life.

You can hear the negative recruiting going on. "See how badly Cal used Skal? You don't want to go there. He dropped out of the lottery. She how well he is playing now? It proves it wasn't Skals fault..." and so on.

Cal coached the 3 best centers in the NBA- including the reigning ROY and future superstar. I think he's going to be all right.

Reactions: Smashcat

I think Cal hurt him more than helped him.

Cal coached the 3 best centers in the NBA- including the reigning ROY and future superstar. I think he's going to be all right.
See you're using what is known as "Common sense"... and my experience in life has proven that it is far from being common so I'm sure there will be ones who are swayed by such a argument and don't look at his record as a whole. My point was that I hope there aren't many that put stock in those claims.

^^^This!!!

Here's another view. Remember when he was easily being scooted aside near the basket at UK?

The problem was we need a Dakari Johnson type at C and didn't have one so Skal was forced to play a role foreign to him. Humphries was nowhere near ready.

Reactions: brianpoe

Nah...college basketball is just kind of crappy. No space, lane is clogged, lots of contact.

KAT really didn't develop in the 6 months away from UK. There were games at UK where he was just ok, or not a factor. First year in the NBA and he just about unstoppable.

Game at the next level is just different and better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT