ADVERTISEMENT

Since we hate each other, I'll mention the one huge problem I have with UK....

Why was Andre Riddick NOT covering the throw from Grant Hill!?!?!???! DAMMITT!!! Andre had a wingspan of a 747..... WHY THE #$@% *&$ WASN'T HE COVERING HILL!?!?!?!

OK, I've calmed down.

Finally, Tony Delk is my all-time favorite UK player. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH BOYS!!!!! Give me a team of Delk's ANYTIME!
Who is the wild eyed deranged looking starter on your team this year? Looks scary.

12060758147b4957d4573c61236e6fe7.jpeg

Anybody guarding the in bounds and we win. Just a dumb coaching move by Pitino.

That game was a snapshot of Pitino's whole coaching career. If you could keep the score close to a Pitino team you would win more times than not.

But it was hard to stay close to a Pitino team. That game is a perfect example. We should not have been in that game. I think we were a almost a 20 point dog. No one expected us to win that game or even keep it close. But Pitino's coaching, style and the pure grit of those players made it close. Then he blew it in the end.

It’s a naïve question. Hate Pitino all you want for other things but hating on him for not putting a man on the ball is just ignorant.

Sure it’s easy to pooh-pooh it in retrospect since it turned out one in a million Hill hit Laettner, Laettner turned and set in time and hit the shot, having a clear look at the basket even though we were playing them 5 on 4.

But without magically seeing into the future, you’re really gonna take the chance that freaking Grant Hill can’t slip one past Aminu’s skinny arms and then we’re left with only short people defending Duke 4 on 4 with Laettner 19 for 19 in that game so far and fouls getting called on us every time we breathe on a Duke player? Returning national champion Duke with K at the height of his career and you want to bet your whole season that he can’t draw up a play to score quick playing us 4 on 4?

That’s just plain ignorant.

As it happened the blind squirrel got the nut that day. It happens. Still the only sane way we could have played it, love Pitino or hate him.

Last edited:
I think very few, if any, Kentucky fans hate Iowa. Hell, Coach Stoops has his roots there. Maybe you or other Iowa fans hate Kentucky for some reason, but I have only heard neutral or general positive comments about interactions from both sides the last two bowl games.
Stoops is the reason for my soft spot for Iowa. Before the bowl game last year, it was a love fest on the Lair.

As I discovered this year, they have one of the best fan traditions in all of sports. The BEST. Respect level through the roof.

Caution: Get out the Kleenex. At the moment they do this, I bleed black and gold. I would attend a football game JUST to do this and wave at those kids until my arm falls out of the socket.

Last edited:
It’s a naïve question. Hate Pitino all you want for other things but hating on him for not putting a man on the ball is just ignorant.

Sure it’s easy to pooh-pooh it in retrospect since it turned out one in a million Hill hit Laettner, Laettner turned and set in time and hit the shot, having a clear look at the basket even though we were playing them 5 on 4.

But without magically seeing into the future, you’re really gonna take the chance that freaking Grant Hill can’t slip one past Aminu’s skinny arms and then we’re left with only short people defending Duke 4 on 5 with Laettner 19 for 19 in that game so far and fouls getting called on us every time we breathe on a Duke player? Returning national champion Duke with K at the helm at the height of his career and you want to bet your whole season that he can’t draw up a play to score quick playing us 5 on 4?

As it happened the blind squirrel got the nut that day. It happens. Still the only sane way we could have played it, love Pitino or hate him.
I pretty much agree it's easy to say it after the fact. I do think if you put a man on the ball whether it be Timberlake, Riddick or even Pel or Feldhaus just as long as they at least 6'6 or taller because the Defense can extend arms, jump a couple times and holler Ball, Ball, Ball and with a man that close up on you in that exact pressure situation moment is alot and makes it much less likely to get a clear pass to CL. Now, Pelphrey screwed the play up anyways as he was supposed to stay in front of CL and try to get hand on it to knock it down so time expires and Feldhaus was supposed to be behind him. If Pel had done that then maybe ppl would not still be arguing this 30+ yrs later. But it was still gonna be 4 on 4 with a man on the ball. At that point in the game 5 on 4 don't do ya much good... Especially when it' turns into a 1 on 2 and Pel got his arms raised backed up 3 feet away watching it fall through the net. Like you said though it's easy to make that call now. It was a great time to be a fan during those years right after probation!

I've got no problem with Iowa. We appreciate you guys taking in our native son CJ Fredrick for a couple years. As for the football games, I haven't heard a word of any negative interactions between the fanbases. I wouldn't mind playing someone else next year, just for the sake of variety.

As for having nobody on that inbounds play, I don't know if it would have made a huge difference. The likelihood of that play happening exactly as it did (the perfect pass, the perfect catch, the fake, the turn and quick shot, the made shot from that distance) was very, very slim. It was a great play, of course, but second guessing who was positioned where is pointless. It's been hashed, rehashed, and re-rehashed about a billion times. And we get to see the replay about 20 times (at least) every basketball season.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

But without magically seeing into the future, you’re really gonna take the chance that freaking Grant Hill can’t slip one past Aminu’s skinny arms and then we’re left with only short people defending Duke 4 on 4 with Laettner 19 for 19 in that game so far and fouls getting called on us every time we breathe on a Duke player? Returning national champion Duke with K at the height of his career and you want to bet your whole season that he can’t draw up a play to score quick playing us 4 on 4?

Naive?

Hardly.

Wake Forest beat them in nearly the exact same situation earlier in the year by, you guessed it, putting a man on Grant Hill:

Naive?

Hardly.

Wake Forest beat them in nearly the exact same situation earlier in the year by, you guessed it, putting a man on Grant Hill:

Yes, exactly. Thank you for proving my point. Hill hit Laettner easily from 94 feet even with a man in his face guarding him.

(You want to pretend the man guarding Hill is what made Laettner step out of bounds after catching it, coming down inbounds, pivoting, and taking two steps, please by all means be my guest and enjoy that awesome fantasy. I might daydream about it myself: it sounds fun and daring.. Only, just remember that Wake Forest didn’t have ANYBODY foul out—they weren’t even in the freaking bonus—and Bobby Hurley missed that game with a broken foot so it’s entirely all apples and oranges anyway.)

Nice try though. A for effort.

Why was Andre Riddick NOT covering the throw from Grant Hill!?!?!???! DAMMITT!!! Andre had a wingspan of a 747..... WHY THE #$@% *&$ WASN'T HE COVERING HILL!?!?!?!

OK, I've calmed down.

Finally, Tony Delk is my all-time favorite UK player. SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH BOYS!!!!! Give me a team of Delk's ANYTIME!
You post the question for the ages. Not covering the in bounds passer made zero sense.

OK, I've calmed down.

I was born in Iowa. Married my Bride in Iowa. Moved to Kentucky in December of 1961. Been a Cat fan ever since. I still pull for the “Hawks” when they aren’t playing the Cats. I can remember when Randy Duncan was QB 1, players like Paul Krause, Bob Jeter were winning the Rose Bowl. Iowa fans love their team We love ours, but it just means more to BBN!😜

I met the 1996 team when they came to Washington to meet the President and did a reception at the Capitol. Tony Delk was far and away the nicest guy on that team, signed everything and posed for photos. The rest of them could not be bothered.

Agree about Delk. Have had great interactions with Nazr the few times I’ve bumped into him.

What you’re saying though I agree with (98 team was bad in that regards as well) and it’s one thing I will credit Cal for. I do think he’s done a lot to change that culture. His rosters overall have been the most personable and fan appreciative we’ve had here.

I hate to say rigged but..... That game was rigged for Duke. Plain and simple. But history shows they repaid the debt in 98'. sure did.
Thanks Dukies

Iowa City was where I first saw the Cats in person. Rupp’s Runts beat Dayton then Cazzie Russell and Michigan.

Remember Iowa’s great team J.J. and the dealers. They lost to Jacksonville in Columbus while the Cats were dispatching Austin Carr and Notre Dame.

Still played consolation game in the tourney back then. Iowa had 75 in the first half against ND. Final was something like 123-114 or thereabouts. Was a fun game to watch. Unfortunately the Cats lost to Jacksonville to miss the final four.

• Love
Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Riddick had fouled out, as had Gimel Martinez and Jamal Mashburn. Pitino didn’t have anyone tall enough to guard Grant Hill so he didn’t bother. I was at the game and thought the ball would go to Bobby Hurley for a 3. Never occurred to me that K would try the full court pass to Laettner.

I met the 1996 team when they came to Washington to meet the President and did a reception at the Capitol. Tony Delk was far and away the nicest guy on that team, signed everything and posed for photos. The rest of them could not be bothered.
Riddick had certainly not fouled out. He barely played in the game.

Yes, exactly. Thank you for proving my point. Hill hit Laettner easily from 94 feet even with a man in his face guarding him.

(You want to pretend the man guarding Hill is what made Laettner step out of bounds after catching it, coming down inbounds, pivoting, and taking two steps, please by all means be my guest and enjoy that awesome fantasy. I might daydream about it myself: it sounds fun and daring.. Only, just remember that Wake Forest didn’t have ANYBODY foul out—they weren’t even in the freaking bonus—and Bobby Hurley missed that game with a broken foot so it’s entirely all apples and oranges anyway.)

Nice try though. A for effort.

I have no idea what you are watching, but I guess the brain will tell the eyes what it wants them to see.

Yep, Grant Hill EASILY hit Laettner in stride, as he was busting ass from the top of the key to the sideline 30 feet from the basket. I am certain that was the design, to have the right handed Laettner, catch the ball on the dead sprint, stop his momentum, turn BACK over his left shoulder and drain a 30 footer at the buzzer...THAT is what you believe K drew up?

What most likely happened was that Laettner started MUCH closer to where he did in the UK game and was drawn to the sideline by a terribly errant throw caused, in most part, by the man guarding Hill. Laettner could not stop his momentum. He caught the ball, hopped ONCE and stepped out of bounds AND THEN PIVOTED and drove to the basket AFTER he was ruled out of bounds.

Hill hooked it, plain and simple. Would he have hooked it in the EXACT same situation against UK?

We will never know.

I have no clue what the rest of your post has to do with the either play:

Mashburn and Martinez fouled out. There were AT LEAST two viable options (Riddick and Timberlake) to guard Hill. Hell, even Travis Ford would have been better than nothing.
What does the bonus have to do with anything?
Bobby Hurley not playing had zero effect on the outcome of either individual play. During the UK game, he was moving laterally across mid court, without a hint of being involved. You are reaching.

If you are going to be an asshole you better be right.

I guess one out of two isn't bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT