ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: MJ says it’s all on Mitch concerning Cal’s future

The response he had was "I'm not going to quit recruiting HS players/Freshman". Question was will you change how you build a team and he contemplated and then mentioned how he'd built this team with Antonio and Tre, etc....but he was referring to just going older like everyone else and he couldn't envision himself doing just that. Nobody wants that.

What they want is to build the best roster PERIOD. There isn't any set way to do it. UConn had Clinigan last yr who was a key piece. They have Castle this year. Other teams have had key Freshmen as well. But just building through 1 and done guys--you better be getting AD/Wall level guys. Hell Cal's best team prior to '12 was '08 Memphis and it was like a Houston Cougar roster with Derrick Rose added to it. That should be his or any model--get talented, experienced CBB players and then sprinkle in an elite guy if you can from HS. A true program changing player.

Kentucky's starting 5 should look more like

Kel'el Ware--Center
Keshad Johnson--Forward
Dalton Knecht
Antonio Reeves
Rob Dillingham or Reed Sheppard

If you are doing this correctly.
So…you’re saying a 6 plus man recruiting class where the only top 10 prospect is a 16 year old is not how the roster should be built!?!?

The least painful way would be for Cal to invoke that “ambassador” clause in the contract. That leaves UK the most financial flexibility and freedom to bring in the next coach and his staff.

However I’m not confident that CCC will do that based on his stubbornness.
His pride wouldn't let that happen

This needs to be finished this weekend.
Hopefully the coach search has been ongoing for some time and it’s just a matter of a few announcements. If we go into next week then chances are not good for what 99.9% of the fan base wants.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Mitch seems like he is terrified of Cal, I’m not expecting much from all this..
I agree, but why? Isn't Barnhart ccc's boss? Barnhart should fire him for insubordination at the least. The total disrespect is ridiculous. Time to get even.

So if you had to make a choice right now to keep Cal or say ride with Welch for a season m, you stick with what we’ve done for five years? Screw that. If im going or fail at this point let me fail trying something different. I don’t mean Welch is the next coach. Hes a plug that can in offense while you look for the guy you really want.

Trying the same thing and expecting different results is a the definition of insanity.
just stop your making too much scene

Reactions: bbncal02
The response he had was "I'm not going to quit recruiting HS players/Freshman". Question was will you change how you build a team and he contemplated and then mentioned how he'd built this team with Antonio and Tre, etc....but he was referring to just going older like everyone else and he couldn't envision himself doing just that. Nobody wants that.

What they want is to build the best roster PERIOD. There isn't any set way to do it. UConn had Clinigan last yr who was a key piece. They have Castle this year. Other teams have had key Freshmen as well. But just building through 1 and done guys--you better be getting AD/Wall level guys. Hell Cal's best team prior to '12 was '08 Memphis and it was like a Houston Cougar roster with Derrick Rose added to it. That should be his or any model--get talented, experienced CBB players and then sprinkle in an elite guy if you can from HS. A true program changing player.

Kentucky's starting 5 should look more like

Kel'el Ware--Center
Keshad Johnson--Forward
Dalton Knecht
Antonio Reeves
Rob Dillingham or Reed Sheppard

If you are doing this correctly.

I don't understand they point you are trying to make to me since you are basically saying the same thiing I'm saying. I guess you want to flex your knowledge of recruiting. Have it at it.

He wants to keep recruiting the best of the best and add a few older guys. He's doing that now. Not much at all is going to change if he stays. Anyway, agree to disagree about whatever it is we are disagreeing about.

When Roy left, Kansas, it wasn’t the lame duck A.D. who replaced him with Self. It was Dana Anderson our top booster with other boosters. I suspect if Kentucky has boosters putting together money, they’re gonna have a say, and who replaces Calipari.

Funny how you people turn up when you feel you have the upperhand. Blowed out by Gonzaga.

8 > 4
4 + 4 more = 8

Til' next year.

When BCG is the wrong choice, he picked Cal......Now, we are at a point where the pickin' is just plain silly.

If Mitch does not make a change, lordy lordy, someone higher up may have to make AD change.

IIRC Cal didn’t recruit Reeves back,the team did. At least that was the report.

And I easily believe it. Cal was imo willing to go with mainly just the frosh.

And also, imo, Cal has never tried to put together a team with the requisite parts, rather focused on 5 stars whether they fit together or not; or in some cases whether they could even play or not.

Cal is NOT going to put in the work the job requires no matter what he says
Good post

Per Matt Jones this morning:
1 The decision is all in Barnhart’s hand..
2. The money will be there.
3. The University leadership is supportive of whatever he decides, I think we know something by Monday, if not before

If all the above is true, Mitch has to let CCC go. The obstacles ($ and university backing) are no longer. I would think that a list of potential successors has been completed and possible candidates may have already been contacted. I believe Mitch will be hesitant to inqiure about Golden or Oltzelberger (not seasoned enough). Does not want a Billy Clyde repeat!

IMO, Mitch will look for a coach with an experienced coaching resume in Div 1, either Drew or Pearl.

Pearl is a 5 year coach given his age, who will not demand a buyout but will pour his energy and try to re-recruit some of the current year players (Reed, DJ, Z, Thiero, Burks, maybe Edwards), the COW high school recruits, and perhaps bring some of his AU freshmen with him.

Drew is known as an X and O’s coach that we have been missing during the CCC era. He is possibly a 10-year guy at age 53 and has brought a program from the scrap heap to a National Championship. Has not been in trouble with the NCAA and is fairly low key. He is not a charmer or media darling which would be refreshing.

I would think that Mitch is looking for a Drew-type personality as the next coach who does not bring any past baggage with him. Of course, Baylor is still in the tournament so no announcement would be made until Baylor is eliminated or wins it all. My $.02 worth!

Reactions: RunninRichie
Confidence to do what exactly,win 1 NCAA game in 4 years,1 SEC tourney win in 4 years,no SEC titles in 6. You act like we are still in the penthouse fella ,I got news for you ,we are in the outhouse. Nearly ANYBODY we consider could improve on that.
I got news for you fella… there are plenty of examples that not just “ANYBODY” can do it. Look at Indiana. Look at Louisville. Look at UCLA.

I got news for you fella… there are plenty of examples that not just “ANYBODY” can do it. Look at Indiana. Look at Louisville. Look at UCLA.
I agree, the UofL, IU scenario scares me more than losing in the first round of the tournament.

Reactions: RipThru
I know it's fun to poop on Mitch, but that man fires coaches.
He may give them a year longer than some might want.
But Joker, Billy, Kyra, all let go.
I think Gary Henderson and Mickie DeMoss were pushed out.
both quit to be assistants somewhere else the next year.

If that info is getting out, that tells me Cal is gone
And that beginning there speaks to another issue — firing the coaches he hired.

Reactions: catben
I hope Mitch remembers the Calipari treats him like garbage. I hope he lets Calipari know that he has been an absolute fraud the last five years while making $45 million. It’s time to split up and get somebody else like Scott Drew or just about anybody that will coach the kids, and make the fanbase rally behind them

That's not true. I don't want Calipari back, but what he said is that he won't stop recruiting Freshman altogether-he wouldn't just build a team of Portal guys. Nobody wants that either. What they want is the best roster you can put together. Nobody argued with Reed/Rob playing at all this year-in fact everyone wanted them to START--hell we wanted Big Z to start too--so that would be 3 Freshman-but who argued that Reeves shouldn't start? Nobody.

What is needed is the best players you can land. To hear the junk that Bradshaw was pulling you had a talent like Kel'el Ware available and if you added what he brought IU this year--you have a dominant force inside. Could've had Knecht--but you landed Edwards. Didn't know he'd crap bed like he did-but what UK fans would like--Reeves AND Knecht being on same roster.

Another thing I'd bring up-when Calipari used to get elite guards--he'd win. When is the last elite PG Kentucky has had? SGA?

Wall
Knight
No Pg worth dick (NIT)
Harrison
Harrison/Ulis
Ulis
Fox
SGA

Hagans
Askew
Wheeler/TyTy was better but played off the ball-when he did play PG broke school all time record for assists in a game

Wheeler--when he quit, Wallace finally moved to PG and team played it's best all year but he was treated like a CG

This year--improved guard play but Reed/Rob were placed behind DJ Wagner who wasn't even a PG on his HS team in Camden-that was Cian Medley.

Have Boogie Fland signed up who is a true PG and if DJ returns--we know how this is going to play out. I'd rather see DJ Wagner transfer and get St. Joe's Guard with Boogie than DJ blocking Fland who is more natural as a PG/lead guard. He knows when to distribute and when to shoot the ball. He runs a team/manages a game.

So you have a guy who ignores formulas of success and the one thing we're being told is he may have guys return to help him keep his job. Well they need to return with notion that all positions are open and no guarantees in that scenario. This is where fans are fed up as well. We KNOW that isn't going to happen if it's DJ.
100% agree! He continues to play the wrong guys at the detriment of UK and it can’t FN continue!!!

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
Hey fella, one coach won every title at Indiana. One coach won 10/11 at UCLA. One coach won 2/3 titles at U of L.

Kentucky has had 5 coaches win titles. They can get a 6th. Also you could argue that Indiana and Louisville both held on to their best coaches for 5 seasons too long. If anything it mean UK needs to move on NOW.

Hey fella, one coach won every title at Indiana. One coach won 10/11 at UCLA. One coach won 2/3 titles at U of L.

Kentucky has had 5 coaches win titles. They can get a 6th. Also you could argue that Indiana and Louisville both held on to their best coaches for 5 seasons too long. If anything it mean UK needs to move on NOW.
Knight won 3 out of their 5 titles. But yeah, IU before Knight was a flash in the pan, they won 2 titles early on then quickly faltered.

I’m not arguing it’s not time to move on. But who is that guy? Fella…

I compared everyone thinking that the A.D. would make a coaching search decision when boosters are dropping the dime to what actually happens when a booster gives money. A real life example to curb all the hysteria being posted here out of your frustrations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT