ADVERTISEMENT

SIAP: Gabriel surprise of summer

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...t-see-coming-uk-wildcats-basketball/91579394/

Didn't see this yet.

Is it possible we are sleeping on this kid? Early on, people were very high about what he'd bring THIS YEAR, then everyone sort of settled into a pattern of seeing him as a spot duty guy.

A 6'10'' guy with incredible athleticism, an high revving, perpetual motor and stellar work ethic? Sounds vaguely familiar -- and no, I'm not going there. Gabriel is a better shooter.

But seriously, what is the 2016-2017 ceiling for Wenyen?

I imagine his growth from the first game to March Madness could be quite fun to watch.

I'm hoping he can provide some defense. His length and motor should make him a defense force as a 3/4 player.

I don't know what to expect on offense.

I thought Matt Jones said this guy was behind the others and to be patient with him. Then Cal comes out singing his praises and the players call him the most surprising. Who to believe.

I can't help but think that Gabriel is that shut-down multi-position defender, fierce rebounder, and motor guy that is going to be on the floor at the end of tight games. Hopefully he can shoot free throws.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I thought Matt Jones said this guy was behind the others and to be patient with him. Then Cal comes out singing his praises and the players call him the most surprising. Who to believe.

I can't help but think that Gabriel is that shut-down multi-position defender, fierce rebounder, and motor guy that is going to be on the floor at the end of tight games. Hopefully he can shoot free throws.

I'm unaware of the Matt Jones reference, but if it's true, it's not surprising that so many took his words as Gospel. It also wouldn't be surprising if Jones projected incorrectly.

Cal doesn't traditionally overhype kids. If he is saying promising things about a kid, it's worth paying attention to.

Reactions: Pluto is a Planet
I'm unaware of the Matt Jones reference, but if it's true, it's not surprising that so many took his words as Gospel. It also wouldn't be surprising if Jones projected incorrectly.

Cal doesn't traditionally overhype kids. If he is saying promising things about a kid, it's worth paying attention to.

I think Jones proclaimed it during one of his periscopes. Might even have had a story about it on KSR. I kind of thought it was bullsheet at the time because I don't think most expect Gabriel to be a sure fire OAD star on the level of Bam, but that doesn't mean he won't be a major contributor and eventually a damned good player at UK and future pro.

I like Matt, but I do think he talks out his azz sometimes just to have something to say.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul and awf

Really? Who to believe?

I think Jones proclaimed it during one of his periscopes. Might even have had a story about it on KSR. I kind of thought it was bullsheet at the time because I don't think most expect Gabriel to be a sure fire OAD star on the level of Bam, but that doesn't mean he won't be a major contributor and eventually a damned good player at UK and future pro.

I like Matt, but I do think he talks out his azz sometimes just to have something to say.
Ya think.....[eyeroll]

If Bam is going to be the major inside force this year (and he is), Gabriel might make more sense than anyone as his frontcourt running partner. All the talk was about him manning the 3, and I just don't see that, but all that talk was occurring before Briscoe came back. With him back, it's pretty obvious that UK is going to be playing huge chunks of time without a 3. Gabriel probably offers more defense (certainly more defensive versatility) and more rebounding than Willis or Humphries. Shooting would be a question mark, but you could always plug Willis in for Briscoe (or Fox, if Briscoe takes over at point for certain stretches of the game).

And IF Gabriel shows some shooting ability, then he's exactly the type of 4 I'd love to see. He doesn't have to drain 80 three pointers, but if he can hit over 35% on a limited amount, the defense will have to respect him, and all the positives he brings won't come with the downside of his presence making it easier for the opponent to pack the lane.

Last edited:
For those of us keeping score at home let's see...so far we have;

1.Monk-better than expected

2.Humphries- a whole new guy that his momma don't even recognize

3 Gabriel- the surprise of summer

4.Briscoe -shooting much better

5.Willis-more dedicated and focused

Did I leave anything out... oh yeah,

6. Bam- funnier than hell in the two interviews I have seen

I'm telling, you these kids Cal is getting. I am so impressed. Just great kids. Somebody's really doing a great job not only evaluating their ability but the kind of people they are.
Said it before.....Cal's recruiting abilities/reputation allows him to be very picky. Most people think that means he gets the best players, and that's part of it. But it also means he gets to be picky about character, too. If you've only got a few months - not years - to mold a team, and especially if that team is going to have several 5 star kids used to being The Man, you can't take bad kids if you can help it .....

He's behind BUT his motor makes him almost equal at times and probably surpasses some at times. When you have a high motor you can, at times, have more of a impact than those who are more skilled. Ala Kenneth Faried or Ben Wallace.

Also, has anyone noticed that if a reporter gives a unfavorable scouting report some tend to call him/it bull BUT when the coaching staff gives a glowing report then that must be 200% correct? Reality is somewhere in between. Cal has said Wenyen is behind skill wise in some aspect and said he is more of a stretch four than a three. Just like H.S he is a jack of many trades and a master of none BUT his motor allows him to have a impact while he tries to master it

Last edited:
My expectation for quite some time has been that our scariest lineup by March will be Fox/Monk/Briscoe/Gabriel/Bam.

Scary from a defense and transition standpoint. But can they put it in the basket well enough to play for long stretches?

My expectation for quite some time has been that our scariest lineup by March will be Fox/Monk/Briscoe/Gabriel/Bam.

Scary from a defense and transition standpoint. But can they put it in the basket well enough to play for long stretches?

I agree Aike. Willis 6th man as designated dagger deliverer.

I'd go with mj on this. He's coached no one, Cal can't coach and is a poor talent evaluator. Yeah, WG is no good and mj(who talks for a living but does...?) is likely more skilled in assessing talent, has ruled out WG, is fo show spot on.
Btw, I'm not an anti mj guy, appreciate his info. Just don't believe he knows his limits. Understand that a rift or distraction in bbn brings attention.
Maybe WG gets to block or dunk one off his head this year. Yesss!

So your stating Bam's got that Cuz thing going on...

Question is where does he play on offense?

His SF skills were over exaggerated.

He'd be a very thin PF.

Hasn't shown the range to be a stretch 4 yet.

Athletically and defense wise kid has to play somewhere, be interesting to watch his progress.

Doc, we see this type of hype every year even going back to Tubbys years when Josh Carrier was draining threes from everywhere. I think I will wait and watch a few games before forming my opinion. I read this every year only to be disappointed with the exception of the 12 team.

Reactions: oldfanofuk
Doc, we see this type of hype every year even going back to Tubbys years when Josh Carrier was draining threes from everywhere. I think I will wait and watch a few games before forming my opinion. I read this every year only to be disappointed with the exception of the 12 team.

You're so right. None of our players have delivered on expectations except for that championship team.

Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Knight, Randle, Towns, Booker, Ulis, Murray. What let downs.

So true, on another subject is there any chance that hurricane Matthew blows UNC off the map or does NCAA protection cover hurricanes as well:sunglasses:

Ok here is the difference of why we are paying attention to what Coach says vs MJ. Name one time coach over exaggerated a player? He tends to do the opposite. He tends to talk them down to keep the sometimes over lofty expectation of our fan base at a minimum. So I tend to listen because when Coach says something about a player he is usually spot on.

Said it before.....Cal's recruiting abilities/reputation allows him to be very picky. Most people think that means he gets the best players, and that's part of it. But it also means he gets to be picky about character, too. If you've only got a few months - not years - to mold a team, and especially if that team is going to have several 5 star kids used to being The Man, you can't take bad kids if you can help it .....
Very true and a very good post.

It's a non starter, Willis or Hump are both ahead of Wenyen right now. Both brings things UK needs more than what Wenyen brings. Every scouting report pretty much says one of those two will start

It's a non starter, Willis or Hump are both ahead of Wenyen right now. Both brings things UK needs more than what Wenyen brings. Every scouting report pretty much says one of those two will start

We aren't just talking about who will start next month.

Actually, we are much more concerned with how we will look in March.

His intangibles will be huge for UK this year (defense, rebounding, running the floor). I think WG has a really good year and is a first round pick in next year's draft. His height and wingspan, combined with his high motor and upside will get him drafted in the first round, IMO. You can't teach height and/or effort.

He's 213 pounds on the roster with a 7 foot wingspan. He'll be fine at the 4. Early on his benefit is gonna be mostly defensively.

He has definitely put on some muscle, but he is a lean kid.

My 213 pounds looks more like 250, his.. 175.

Reactions: UKrazycat2
This kid can shoot...he can defend...block shots..and handle it pretty well for a big...He'll play 15-20 min a game..8pts, 5 rbs 1 block, 2 assists and 1 steal per game also. he can do it all

This kid can shoot...he can defend...block shots..and handle it pretty well for a big...He'll play 15-20 min a game..8pts, 5 rbs 1 block, 2 assists and 1 steal per game also. he can do it all

He has definitley improved but I still think shooting is his biggest weaknesses followed by handles.

He shot 20% from 3 in the AAU circuit last year.

He will benefit playing off of the 3 guards pentrating IMO.

He has definitley improved but I still think shooting is his biggest weaknesses followed by handles.

He shot 20% from 3 in the AAU circuit last year.

He will benefit playing off of the 3 guards pentrating IMO.
This is a very good assessment. WG can impact the game in several ways, without having the ball in his hands. He can be the fifth option on offense and still get you double digit points and boards. He should be on the receiving end of a ton of lobs and will get a lot of second chance buckets. Dude plays with an abundance of energy. Again, intangibles.

Reactions: brianpoe
He does have a smooth jumper, especially from the elbow.
By mid season WG will be getting more minutes than Willis. Willis can't defend never could never will. Yes, he Willis can shoot, and I've always cheered for him to be the go to guy. I think when March comes around you will see Fox, Monk, Briscoe, Bam and WG starting for this team with Willis,Humphries and the Richmond Tornado coming off the bench. I just have a good feeling about this team and come March we will be kicking a$$ and taking names. Rat face will be in our way, but I can see our boys running over them in the semi-final came of the NC on our way to #9.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT