ADVERTISEMENT

SI; "What's Wrong With KY?"

Didn't read the article but I can give you my opinion, the same thing that is wrong every November...They are young, inexperienced, 2 or 3 key injuries, they have never played together as a team, in March we will see what is right...they will have jelled and their talents will begin to be showcased and they will play themselves out of a UK uniform...and then the next windrow of hay will start feeding into the baler and we will start the process over. "Have a little faith Moriarty" "Have a little faith, no more of those negative waves".!!!

Didn't read the article but I can give you my opinion, the same thing that is wrong every November...They are young, inexperienced, 2 or 3 key injuries, they have never played together as a team, in March we will see what is right...they will have jelled and their talents will begin to be showcased and they will play themselves out of a UK uniform...and then the next windrow of hay will start feeding into the baler and we will start the process over. "Have a little faith Moriarty" "Have a little faith, no more of those negative waves".!!!
Duke seems to be playing well with a mostly inexperienced roster. And before you say it, no I'm not going to go be a fan of Duke. All I'm saying is other teams utilize the OAD too and they don't always look like crap until mid-February every year.

Duke seems to be playing well with a mostly inexperienced roster. And before you say it, no I'm not going to go be a fan of Duke. All I'm saying is other teams utilize the OAD too and they don't always look like crap until mid-February every year.
We do have a win over the top ranked team at the time. November has not been a total waste. That win is going to look good on the resume all year long.

I am not one of those posters that try to cram things down your throat if your opinion is different from mine. I agree Duke does seem to handle the cupcakes, for two reasons in my thinking, first EJ, Ashton, Nick(although he was back playing and IQ were all injured at the time of loss, I believe K plays to win every game whereas Cal is training early on and I really believe he lets them learn some lessons the hard way so they will remember them at the end. It is a little frustrating to the fan. Thank you for civiley sharing your thoughts, never claimed to be right just the way I see it. Have a great Thanksgiving

Sports Illustrated is good for one thing, the Swimsuit Edition.

cover-history.jpg

I am not one of those posters that try to cram things down your throat if your opinion is different from mine. I agree Duke does seem to handle the cupcakes, for two reasons in my thinking, first EJ, Ashton, Nick(although he was back playing and IQ were all injured at the time of loss, I believe K plays to win every game whereas Cal is training early on and I really believe he lets them learn some lessons the hard way so they will remember them at the end. It is a little frustrating to the fan. Thank you for civiley sharing your thoughts, never claimed to be right just the way I see it. Have a great Thanksgiving

And make no mistake, Cal rides them hard early on.

Reactions: jrm693
Looks like someone must have put “ what’s wrong with Kentucky’ in their search engine, When maybe they should have put “what’s wrong with college basketball “.
Another thing that is kind of funny, when UK beats teams by a large margin fans gripe about that also so you can’t please everyone.

I think you speak the truth here, frustrating for fans, but this is Cal chooses to teach lessons.

Reactions: jrm693
Decent read, plus I think last night's second half has started to address some of the article's concerns.

https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/22/kentucky-maryland-indiana-basketball
The SI link offers a review that is very superficial and not necessarily accurate. For example, SI says Juzang is our best three point shooter. That is more dogmatic than factual. It certainly hasn't been proven on the court.

The problems our basketball team has experienced are largely the same problems we have experienced almost every season under John Calipari. Everyone year, the team is very young and inexperienced in November. The players are still learning Cal's system while getting used to the speed and length of the college game. This is why Cal always schedules a bunch of early bunny games in November and December.

This year, we lost one of the bunny games. This happened because of a combination of circumstances, including the usual steep learning curve that we see every year for the freshmen. There were also several key injuries. To think Montgomery's injury didn't influence the outcome of the game would be naive, even for the negative posters who continue to underestimate Montgomery's talent and role.

I have no doubt that this team will play high level basketball in February, just as Cal's teams do every season. As always, the learning process will be evident before January and continue through the SEC season. Those who have seen all of Cal's UK teams know that his modus operandi is to develop his teams to play their best basketball by March. He doesn't care about November, which only represents the first step of team development in Cal's thinking, even though some fans go nuts in November every year.

But there is a caveat. Cal has said publicly that he prefers to have only ten scholarship players at a time. He believes teaching ten players is optimal in the context of the limits of his attention and the available playing time in games. But I think the last couple of years may have exposed the main vulnerability of that logic. As Cal recently acknowledged, his preference for ten scholarship players incorporates an assumption that all ten players remain basically healthy. In recent years, though, the injuries have mounted up-

Vanderbilt
Baker
Washington
Travis
Allen
Montgomery
Quickley

Seldom have recent UK teams been able to practice with ten healthy scholarship players. Seldom has Cal been able to sit players for very long when they weren't playing well, or when he needed to get their attention for teaching purposes.

Cal is a Hall of Fame coach for a good reason. He has my support, and I am not questioning his basketball judgment or savvy. But I would be more comfortable if he would adjust to the lesson of these experiences and keep a roster of 11-12 scholarship players, even if several are high-upside three-stars. Also, I don't think any contending team should try to go through an entire basketball season with only three true bigs. I feel sure Cal is processing all of this.

Last edited:
Dook and I hate them and him have a better bench coach IMO.

Dook and I hate them and him have a better bench coach IMO.
That's like comparing Einstein and Da Vinci. Cal and Kryzewski are two of the best college basketball coaches of all time. Cal has certainly earned the respect of our fans, and should receive it. If some of our fans still don't respect him, that says more about them than him.

Best take right here and believe me the media knows it. This UK team will be scary when the light comes on. Nick has become the center we all wanted and then some. Defensively this team can be better than the fox Monk team. That team lacked a true rim protector this team has one. This team improves like all other Cal teams we will be the best def team in the country. If our offense improves like it always does look out.

U guys remember with the Fox Monk team when we had some sickness and injuries how big a difference one or two guys not being at their best can make with a young team. When we got healthy we started to look like a national title team and it took a crooked official to keep em out. Not only did this team have more injuries we had it to all of our experience except Sestina. Last night all the pieces were back together the other team hit a few circus shots and guys were getting used to the other guys playing again. So we struggled a bit. But we come out second half and put em away. What I saw in the game was. IQ warming back up. I saw EJ hit a three I saw Nick with a solid 15 foot jumper and a deadly ft stroke. If EJ finds his offense and Nick just stays consistent and we are five games in and even with injury he has. Basically we will be waiting on the light to come on for the Freshman and it will. Both the Dragon and Brooks had moments last night but both looked like they are letting the game come to them. If they do that they will help us tremendously. Then when the game slows down for them look out. Adding a healthy Allen back hell just for practice alone will see this team take another step.

this UK team looks like it could develop into a dominant team in a year where there
is no dominant team. I like this teams position a whole lot right now.

Duke is doing better now, but I'm viewing it more as Cal is doing something similar to what Tiger did when he fixed his swing. He started losing quite a bit while he was working on it, but he knew he'd come out far better on the other side.

Duke is letting them stay the same players they were in HS. This means they play better now because there are no adjustments being made, but it's also why they flame out in March and Dukies don't do well in the pros. I think Cal is working at fixing their game and getting them to their highest potential, even if it means stumbling more along the way. Sometimes he runs out of time by March, but he usually has them rolling. I'd take Cal every day of the week.

Last edited:
It is about the same every year, whether it is a loss to someone we shouldn’t lose to, or you get beaten easily by a blue blood. It will continue as long as we have a roster full of young players. In fact, it may get slightly worse, since now, we are getting kids that are reclassifying. 3 and 4 year players are the equal of these 5 star kids, coming out of hs. As they learn the college game, and mature a little as the season progresses, talent starts to edge past the experience. That is why Cal’s teams find their identity, and play well, in Feb. This team will be fine.

UK was ranked #2 preseason this year for a reason: for the first time since the historic 2014-15 season, the Cats had returning sophomore guards and a returning junior center, plus a returning 5* PF and a strong freshman class. Maybe it wasn't fair to expect a start like 2014, but the ingredients were there. No one expected such a talented and experienced team to lose to Evansville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT