ADVERTISEMENT

Shulga VCU

Man, it almost seems like you'd have to purposely try not end up with a couple decent portal guys because there are so many.

My wish list in order:

1. Small
2. Roach
3. Robinson
4. Mahainey
5. Drexel big...cant remember the name.
And....there are about 2X as many good shooting guards as every other position.

Man, it almost seems like you'd have to purposely try not end up with a couple decent portal guys because there are so many.

My wish list in order:

1. Small
2. Roach
3. Robinson
4. Mahainey
Wishlist:
PG-
Malik Mack (Harvard): FG%: 41 / 2P%: 46 / 3P%: 34 / FT%: 81 / AST/G: 4.8 / STL/G: 1.3 / TOV: 2.5 / PTS: 17
Malik Mack Highlights

SG-
Dominick Harris (Loyola Marymount): FG%: 43 / 2P%: 42 / 3P%: 43 / FT%: 77 / AST/G: 0.3 / STL/G: 0.2 / TOV: 0.9 / PTS: 7.0
Dominick Harris Highlights

SF-
Cade Tyson (Belmont): 2023-24 All-MVC / MVC All-Freshman / 2022-23 MVC ROY / FG%: 49 / 2P%: 53 / 3P%: 45 / FT%: 86 / AST/G: 1.3 / STL/G: .9 / TOV: 2.4 / PTS: 15
Cade Tyson Highlights

PF:
Danny Wolf (Yale): 2023-24 All-Ivy, Ivy Tourney MVP, 2024 All-Ivy Tournament Team / FG%: 46 / 2P%: 51 / 3P%: 34 / FT%: 71 / AST/G: 1.7 / STL/G: 0.7 / TOV: 1.7 / PTS: 9.5
Danny Wolf Highlights

C:
Amari Williams (Drexel): 2023-24 All-CAA, 2x All-CAA, CAA All-Defense, 2x CAA All-Defense, 2023-24 CAA DPOY, 2x CAA DPOY / FG%: 52 / 2P%: 53 / 3P%: 31 / FT%: 63 / TRB: 7.0 / AST: 1.6 / STL: 0.8 /
BLK: 1.8 / TOV: 2.1 / PTS: 10.3
Amari Williams Highlights

Reactions: will1976
I have no idea how coaches differentiate and scout all these similar statistic profiles.

One positive for him is his stats came on a team that played a very slow tempo. With a possession or tempo adjusted stat line his numbers would look even better.

The guy I’ve pinpointed as a fit with Pope is Andrew Carr. Think he’d see a lot of himself with him. Having a tall skilled 4 would also make it easier to recruit an undersized(height) 5.

Random aside: I do wonder if the amount of players entering the portal is limiting their NIL possibilities. Supply and demand. Think of a NFL free agency class. When there are tons of similar options at certain positions, they all kinda get paid less than you’d expect.

Reactions: NociHTTP
Wishlist:
PG-
Malik Mack (Harvard): FG%: 41 / 2P%: 46 / 3P%: 34 / FT%: 81 / AST/G: 4.8 / STL/G: 1.3 / TOV: 2.5 / PTS: 17
Malik Mack Highlights

SG-
Dominick Harris (Loyola Marymount): FG%: 43 / 2P%: 42 / 3P%: 43 / FT%: 77 / AST/G: 0.3 / STL/G: 0.2 / TOV: 0.9 / PTS: 7.0
Dominick Harris Highlights

SF-
Cade Tyson (Belmont): 2023-24 All-MVC / MVC All-Freshman / 2022-23 MVC ROY / FG%: 49 / 2P%: 53 / 3P%: 45 / FT%: 86 / AST/G: 1.3 / STL/G: .9 / TOV: 2.4 / PTS: 15
Cade Tyson Highlights

PF:
Danny Wolf (Yale): 2023-24 All-Ivy, Ivy Tourney MVP, 2024 All-Ivy Tournament Team / FG%: 46 / 2P%: 51 / 3P%: 34 / FT%: 71 / AST/G: 1.7 / STL/G: 0.7 / TOV: 1.7 / PTS: 9.5
Danny Wolf Highlights

C:
Amari Williams (Drexel): 2023-24 All-CAA, 2x All-CAA, CAA All-Defense, 2x CAA All-Defense, 2023-24 CAA DPOY, 2x CAA DPOY / FG%: 52 / 2P%: 53 / 3P%: 31 / FT%: 63 / TRB: 7.0 / AST: 1.6 / STL: 0.8 /
BLK: 1.8 / TOV: 2.1 / PTS: 10.3
Amari Williams Highlights
Mack committed to Georgetown I believe. It’s a lot to keep track of!

I have no idea how coaches differentiate and scout all these similar statistic profiles.

One positive for him is his stats came on a team that played a very slow tempo. With a possession or tempo adjusted stat line his numbers would look even better.

The guy I’ve pinpointed as a fit with Pope is Andrew Carr. Think he’d see a lot of himself with him. Having a tall skilled 4 would also make it easier to recruit an undersized(height) 5.

Random aside: I do wonder if the amount of players entering the portal is limiting their NIL possibilities. Supply and demand. Think of a NFL free agency class. When there are tons of similar options at certain positions, they all kinda get paid less than you’d expect.
Cal be like

"that's why we recruit by numbers of stars. More quality time with my pets"

• Haha
Reactions: deep3

I imagine Stats get them on/off the short list to look at (say 10 at each position), after that I'm sure they watch video of each (a good coach can see things you and I can't).

My wish list in order:

1. Small
2. Roach
3. Robinson
4. Mahainey
Need shooters:
Brea, Tyson, and McKneely

-Coit is undersized but a scorer

-Great Osobor was Mountain West Player of the Yr.

And yes to Amari Williams

Yep. And some may try to return to a place where there is no spot for them.

It's not that hard to scout the guys. The first level of scouting is all the guys in your conference. So Mark Pope has already scouted the guys in the Big 12. He should know them intimately. Then when you look at guys in the portal you will divide it up by role, so PG's, Combo guards, Shooting guards etc. Then you will have a list of guys that you want to look at based of things that fit your team. So if you have noticed Pope has a few things he keeps on looking at, 3 point shooting, 3 point shooting with deep range, and assist rate keeps being focused on over and over. Then once you narrow it down to those guys. You then start to differentiate based off other things you are looking for, and then you try to get a meeting set up and see if the guy is a good fit mentally and has all the other intangibles that you are looking for.

Was he injured down the stretch? His numbers dropped off quite a bit over the last 6 games with point totals of 4, 5, 5 & 6 in four of those final six games.

Yes, Shulga is, indeed, from Ukraine. The last two years his stats are pretty similar except his 3 shooting went up a lot to over 40. It looks like he also rebounds and is a good passer. Stats for these about the same the last two years. Looks pretty solid. Started out at Utah St a few years ago.

If you are your conference POY, or DPOY, or make >40% of your 3's (making 1.0+/gm) then I'm interested!

Reactions: JASUN74
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT