ADVERTISEMENT

Shouldn't that have been a safety?

Should have gotten 2 points AND the ball. Don't understand declining that.

I’m thinking the staff made a mental error there. There’s no way you decline that if you know the result is a safety.

Did anyone say it was holding in the end zone or are we speculating?

I know it’s 2 points but staff probably thought it was silly to pass up a possession that starts at the 10.
no way...Stoops couldn't be that silly...could he?
i think the refs ****ed it up; and out staff should have caught it

I was wondering about that myself. Maybe we will know more after the game.

The game has sucked ever since we didn't take the safety. Nothing going right even when something good happens like an interception. I would have taken the 2 points and just wore them down with another long drive. Would probably be up at least 23-0 at the half.

Dont think the refs properly gave the outcome of penalty.. but stoops and staff should have caught it.

If thats a big sec game, those 2 points and possession could have been huge.

Thats one of my only gripes about stoops.. in game, quick decisions.

I would have declined it and taken my chances with 1st down at the 10.

Possible 7, sure 3.

Last edited:
Dont think the refs properly gave the outcome of penalty.. but stoops and staff should have caught it.

If thats a big sec game, those 2 points and possession could have been huge.

Thats one of my only gripes about stoops.. in game, quick decisions.
That's what I think. Given how amateurish this crew has been they must have given the UK staff bad instructions before we decided to decline it. But yeah Stoops still should have caught it.

Reactions: Blueaz
We score on average about 35-40 percent of drives total (and that not bad) Starting drive and needing to go 30-40 yards for a FG takes that chance down even more. And odds are in your favor not to score. You were almost certain for three and a great chance at seven.

Danger if you do, danger if you don’t.

Take safety and punt cost you 1-5 pts. Which would be more likely to happen than getting extra points.

Take in chances of touchdown from 11 to fg from minus 35ish. I think they made correct decision

Reactions: Ugoff
Yeah no question. You take the 2 and let them kick to Bowden. Clearly something went wrong there and we declined it believing it wouldn't be a safety.

Yeah no question. You take the 2 and let them kick to Bowden. Clearly something went wrong there and we declined it believing it wouldn't be a safety.
You not only get points but you are burning time with the subsequent possession. Wrong move no matter what Stoops or anyone else might say.

Still think percentage wise decling that would be best option. Would have to go 30 plus for FG, to come out ahead. We couldn’t go eleven for a td. So better chance to punt then get a fg

You not only get points but you are burning time with the subsequent possession. Wrong move no matter what Stoops or anyone else might say.
I’ve never heard of a team worried about burning time in the 1st half. Especially a power 5 team against a team like EMU.

I think declining was the right call.

I found stats for 2017

Only one team averaged over two points per possession in the county (OSU). Stats say decline that and get the easier points.

I don’t think our offense is near that of OSU in 2017. And we would need safety and fg to come out ahead

Now take a penelty like that in return and you have to go 45-50 yards for any type of points. Plus free kick returns on safety will be limited because of different hangtime

I’ve never heard of a team worried about burning time in the 1st half. Especially a power 5 team against a team like EMU.

I think declining was the right call.

Not necessarily burning clock but possessing the ball. If you have it, they can't score...generally speaking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT