ADVERTISEMENT

Should UK have fired Tubby after Team Turmoil and brought back Rick Pitino?

Tubby's in-house presentation the parents loved. But the kid was going"wuut?" He hit on five points. The first was God the second family the third education the 4th basketball growth and the last was the future. The kids want to know how much money will I make and how fast can I get it?
He should have gone in this order.

1. God has given you a special gift that most don't have, and it's one that will make you extraordinarily rich if you work hard.

2. We will teach you how to use that gift in a way that maximize your earnings, so you can continue to pursue your education, help your family, and give back to your community at the maximum output.

Keep it simple.

That running and gunning style was out dated. But 1999, It was dying and we played Epps of all people at point for it all. Lol, like stop you only liked it because you had hope while you were a kid then. Life was simple right, everything good right? Ok, we'll don't get that wrong with losing to a AZ game. Or blowing it against duke or Mich in 92-93 years. We had those in hand and both times the coach messed up by having his best player foul out of the 2 games. That's just poor coaching. What about that Fl St lost in the second round? Let me guess it was ESPN and refs that cost us those.
Outdated my assssss!! It ain't t a loaf 🍞 of Sunbeam bread we talking bout here. Sheeeit son, shot clocks were going from 45 to 35 and Dean had to put his 4 corners up on the shelf beside his 8-7 barn burner final scores and guys shooting more 3s every year. By 1995 Pitino figured out that he needed to get some guys with size who could score down low to go with his shooters and he had big guys who could score it every way. Nazr and Maglorie were more traditional 5 men who didn't take outside shots but that was under Tubby mainly. Tubby may have made you think it was outdated but I believe you silly too.

It might not been as fast looking as the early Pitino teams who ran as a neutralizer but it was never outdated. Tubby promised every year he was gonna run the next yr but it was just a method to get fans simmered down and off his ass as he loved a nice grind it out 60-55 type of win that felt like it took 8 halves of basketball to play at times. I don't hate Tubby but he's not Rick. He didn't wanna be Rick and I respect that too.

In 2002-03 2003-04 years we had fun teams IMO. It was all about having the horses though. Eddie had Sean, Tubby had Saul til 2001 and they were miniature ponies and they don't run those in Triple Crown races. Anthony Epps ran in a couple and won a stake in one and was clutch his whole career who picked up dimes, knocked down FTs, started, came off bench or wtf ever he showed up to play and was unselfish who did whatever it took to get it done instead of constantly looking for his.. but you wanna piss on his name some more. Who was you wanting Ashton Hagans or some high character guy like that lol?

I've ever seen or read a best player foul out in back to back season. It's either that Rick wasn't a coach managed right, or Masburn was awful. Now you tell me? Which. Could you imagine if tubby or cal doing that? Well the real fans knew Rick wasn't that great.

I meant that play style died out in 1999 can you read
LOL. You write like you’re in the third grade. For the second time. Just admit you posted a bunch of crap that was wrong in every way. You actually DID say Epps was running the point in 1999. I guess your jumbled crap even confuses you.

I've ever seen or read a best player foul out in back to back season. It's either that Rick wasn't a coach managed right, or Masburn was awful. Now you tell me? Which. Could you imagine if tubby or cal doing that? Well the real fans knew Rick wasn't that great.
Give it up Scooter. You’re embarrassing yourself.

At the point Tubby was quit? Sure.

He might have had hookers that squirt to the ceiling at UL, but he wouldn't have needed that here.

If you are expecting him to play here the way he did in his intial run you are in for a rude awakening.

Last edited:
By the time Maryland ended Kentucky's season in 2002, it was clear Tubby Smith wasn't going to be winning another title at Kentucky.

The Kentucky coach had just finished the year with his third straight 10 loss season, and was now being bounced early in a season when Kentucky had started the season as one of the favorites to win the national title. Tubby's grand campaign, led by veterans Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans, was over. Bogans would return the following season, but he had regressed as a junior and corroded his draft stock. The UK team had been branded "Team Turmoil" and saw various issues with a multitude of players, include Rashaad Carruth, Cory Sears, Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels, Jules Camara, and Marvin Stone. Tubby's recruiting was progressively getting worse. He had failed once more to land a premier point guard, and it was clear that his best team at Kentucky - his 1998 squad - was mostly great because of consisting of 7 or 8 players who had multi-Final Four experience.

Looking back on it now, should UK have fired Tubby Smith in either 2001 or 2002 and re-hired Pitino? I think if I had been AD, I would have been willing to catch the momentary fire for such a move. Pitino was still only 48 or 49 years old, and would have had another 20 years in the tank. He gets you back faster than Tubby, Billy G, and probably would have at least matched Calipari inflated run at Kentucky. Surely Pitino could have won one more title at Kentucky to match Calipari.

Would you have had the guts to fire Tubby Smith and bring back Pitino? I think I would have. Fortune belongs to the bold.
Screw SEXTINO and the horse he rode in on

Reactions: Catfan in Tn.
At the point Tubby was fired? Sure.

He might have had hookers that squirt to the ceiling at UL, but he wouldn't have needed that here.

If you are expecting him to play here the way he did in his intial run you are in for a rude awakening.
Sorry but Tubby quit was not fired get your facts straight

Corey sears was by far the best high school basketball player I’ve ever watched in person and with the right setup could have been really successful. For a little bit of insight, I think sears was 100X the player shepherd is for context. Dude was doing 360 dunks on everybody.
Was he a little cocky and needed to be centered? Definitely but so did everyone that got a scholly to kentucky.
he owns a car lot down in Corbin and has made a pretty good life for himself. Stand up dude.
Would have loved to see him finish it out at uk
rotfl your smoking crack

Losing in the championship game is different than losing to the peacocks in the first round, or Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT, or missing both the NCAA and NIT. I also think UK got hosed against Arizona in 1997. Arizona didn’t make one field goal in OT and the refs let them live at the foul line. For the game they shot 41 free throws to UKs 17. They made twice as many free throws as UK attempted. They made more free throws in OT than UK did the whole game.
Watch out man don’t be throwing facts out some people can’t handle the truth!

There’s no question that Cal owned Pitino when they coached against each other after Cal came to Kentucky. Cal held his own vs Pitino while he was at UMass and Memphis. If Pitino came back to Kentucky in 01 and then UL hired Cal, could have Cal dominated Pitino the like he did as Kentucky’s coach? Maybe it was for the good that Pitino didn’t return to Kentucky. I believe Cal was the right coach at the right time when Kentucky hired him. If Pitino came back in 01 we probably never get Cal. It was clear that RP wasn’t the same coach at UL that we was at Kentucky.

Reactions: shodaman
Yes Tubby should have been sent packing, but I wouldn’t have rehired Pitino. Tubby has cashed a lot of checks in over 20 years off that one championship.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Yes Tubby should have been sent packing, but I wouldn’t have rehired Pitino. Tubby has cashed a lot of checks in over 20 years off that one championship.
UK's standard was set lower than UConn's was with Kevin Ollie. If the UConn administration had the same logic and reasoning that Kentucky used with Smith, Kevin Ollie would have been given another 9 years worth of chances after his initial title.

There’s no question that Cal owned Pitino when they coached against each other after Cal came to Kentucky. Cal held his own vs Pitino while he was at UMass and Memphis. If Pitino came back to Kentucky in 01 and then UL hired Cal, could have Cal dominated Pitino the like he did as Kentucky’s coach? Maybe it was for the good that Pitino didn’t return to Kentucky. I believe Cal was the right coach at the right time when Kentucky hired him. If Pitino came back in 01 we probably never get Cal. It was clear that RP wasn’t the same coach at UL that we was at Kentucky.
True, but he didn’t have the talent at Loserville that he had at UK. Pitino was the best coach in the country when he was at UK. That’s a fact.

By the time Maryland ended Kentucky's season in 2002, it was clear Tubby Smith wasn't going to be winning another title at Kentucky.

The Kentucky coach had just finished the year with his third straight 10 loss season, and was now being bounced early in a season when Kentucky had started the season as one of the favorites to win the national title. Tubby's grand campaign, led by veterans Tayshaun Prince and Keith Bogans, was over. Bogans would return the following season, but he had regressed as a junior and corroded his draft stock. The UK team had been branded "Team Turmoil" and saw various issues with a multitude of players, include Rashaad Carruth, Cory Sears, Gerald Fitch, Erik Daniels, Jules Camara, and Marvin Stone. Tubby's recruiting was progressively getting worse. He had failed once more to land a premier point guard, and it was clear that his best team at Kentucky - his 1998 squad - was mostly great because of consisting of 7 or 8 players who had multi-Final Four experience.

Looking back on it now, should UK have fired Tubby Smith in either 2001 or 2002 and re-hired Pitino? I think if I had been AD, I would have been willing to catch the momentary fire for such a move. Pitino was still only 48 or 49 years old, and would have had another 20 years in the tank. He gets you back faster than Tubby, Billy G, and probably would have at least matched Calipari inflated run at Kentucky. Surely Pitino could have won one more title at Kentucky to match Calipari.

Would you have had the guts to fire Tubby Smith and bring back Pitino? I think I would have. Fortune belongs to the bold.

I mean, if you're going to start an awful thread, at least have it correct. Pitino came to Louisville in 2001, after we lost to USC. Would I have liked for Pitino to come back? Absolutely. But Tubby won a title in 98'. went to the EE in 99', had a crappy year in 2000, and lost in the Sweet 16 in 2001. I don't think you can fire a coach who accomplishes that. I wish Pitino would have never left, because we would have at least 10 titles by now, but he did. Now if Pitino was available in 2002, I would have been ready for Tubby to be gone, but as an AD, it's a much tougher deal. If you take out the politics, sure, I would have gone with Pitino. That said, this is an awful thread, sorry.

Tubby was great at X's and O's, was a solid bench coach, and his in-game adjustments were top-notch. However, he refused to adapt and recruit. His pregame prep was not always great. He had an old-school style that was not going to work, and he refused to adapt (and continued to do so throughout the remainder of his career). Cal's recruiting and motivation + Tubby's bench coaching = multiple titles for Kentucky.

Last edited:
I mean, if you're going to start an awful thread, at least have it correct. Pitino came to Louisville in 2001, after we lost to USC. Would I have liked for Pitino to come back? Absolutely. But Tubby won a title in 98'. went to the EE in 99', had a crappy year in 2000, and lost in the Sweet 16 in 2001. I don't think you can fire a coach who accomplishes that. I wish Pitino would have never left, because we would have at least 10 titles by now, but he did. Now if Pitino was available in 2002, I would have been ready for Tubby to be gone, but as an AD, it's a much tougher deal. If you take out the politics, sure, I would have gone with Pitino. That said, this is an awful thread, sorry.

Tubby was great at X's and O's, was a solid bench coach, and his in-game adjustments were top-notch. However, he refused to adapt and recruit. His pregame prep was not always great. He had an old-school style that was not going to work, and he refused to adapt (and continued to do so throughout the remainder of his career). Cal's recruiting and motivation + Tubby's bench coaching = multiple titles for Kentucky.
Okay.

So for you the thread becomes justifiable if I had written 2001 instead of 2002?

Gotcha.

True, but he didn’t have the talent at Loserville that he had at UK. Pitino was the best coach in the country when he was at UK. That’s a fact.
It’s his own fault that he didn’t have the talent. He didn’t adjust as the game adjusted (one and done) so he couldn’t get the players

It’s his own fault that he didn’t have the talent. He didn’t adjust as the game adjusted (one and done) so he couldn’t get the players
He couldn’t get the level of talent he had at UK because Loserville isn’t UK. Simple. Just like we don’t get the level of football talent that Alabama gets.

Reactions: EliteBlue
UK's standard was set lower than UConn's was with Kevin Ollie. If the UConn administration had the same logic and reasoning that Kentucky used with Smith, Kevin Ollie would have been given another 9 years worth of chances after his initial title.
Imagine being this clueless. Kevin Ollie won the title then proceed to get popped for NCAA violations, missed the NCAA tournament 3 of the next for years including having not one but two losing seasons. That compares to Tubby's tenure here? Just say you hate Tubby and stop making yourself look like a fool reaching this deep.

When Pitino was at Kentucky no team in America was as feared as Kentucky,s press defense. Kids loved that style and Pitino knew that quickness not bulk wins over time. Also If you were on the team you played. Pitino was a coach that taught defense through discipline on the court. He turned defense into offense as someone said, it was a fun time to be a UK fan.

Imagine being this clueless. Kevin Ollie won the title then proceed to get popped for NCAA violations, missed the NCAA tournament 3 of the next for years including having not one but two losing seasons. That compares to Tubby's tenure here? Just say you hate Tubby and stop making yourself look like a fool reaching this deep.
Hilarious! I can't take you serious when you're on your 70th + account.

Talk about being a complete message board loser. You're like the Sauron of loserhood here. You keep getting kicked out, only to return with a hope of making it click the next go-round, only to get banished by the mods again. It's hilarious, and shows how slimy you are as a poster.

Keep it up. I look forward to your next screen name. You make this place more entertaining.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT