ADVERTISEMENT

Should sports whose ultimate goal isn't the Olympics be in the Olympics?

Glenn's take

All-American
May 20, 2012
Sports like basketball, golf, soccer even be in the Olympics? I don't believe for a second that anyone on the basketball team wouldn't trade a gold medal for an NBA championship and that's fine. That's what they grew up wanting, not the Olympics. I doubt there is a golfer that wouldn't trade a gold medal for a Players Championship, much less one of the majors. Soccer players want to win a World Cup. If it isn't the top of the profession should they even include it?

Sports like basketball, golf, soccer even be in the Olympics? I don't believe for a second that anyone on the basketball team wouldn't trade a gold medal for an NBA championship and that's fine. That's what they grew up wanting, not the Olympics. I doubt there is a golfer that wouldn't trade a gold medal for a Players Championship, much less one of the majors. Soccer players want to win a World Cup. If it isn't the top of the profession should they even include it?
Transcendental take, Gle(n)n

a spot in the next RUN DMC video?
K9l2.gif

• Love
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
I always thought soccer in the Olympics was dumb, same for golf.

Basketball is fine because country teams don't play each other like in soccer in other events..to my knowledge.

Noticed they've removed baseball and softball. Tho, baseball is tough bc the Olympics take place during the mlb season and that effects several countries not just the US....Dominican, etc

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Just spit balling here, but would guess that the average pro golfer would rate an Olympics medal above Presidents Cup win and below Ryder Cup.

Not in same universe as Masters, either Open or PGA

Yes.

Soccer players don't want to win the World Cup over Premiere League, so why have it.?
Golfers don't want to win the Ben Hogan over the Masters, why does it exist?
Track athletes have the olympics but they still compete in Penn Relays.
Who's like, I hate this collection of NBA all stars playing basketball and instead of just ignoring it, I'll hope it goes away from everybody?

Some of you all look for weird reasons not to have things.

Yes.

Soccer players don't want to win the World Cup over Premiere League, so why have it.?
Golfers don't want to win the Ben Hogan over the Masters, why does it exist?
Track athletes have the olympics but they still compete in Penn Relays.
Who's like, I hate this collection of NBA all stars playing basketball and instead of just ignoring it, I'll hope it goes away from everybody?

Some of you all look for weird reasons not to have things.
Sure, watch whatever you want to watch. One difference though is that golfers and soccer players already compete internationally in huge, long standing historically significant events, e.g., World Cup, Ryder Cup, all the majors, etc. World Cup is exactly like Olympics, i.e., country vs. country. So Olympics is nothing unique. I think I read that the soccer matches are pretty much U23 players, lot of the top stars have opted out. I have not checked the Olympic golf tournament entries, but would guess a lot of top stars are skipping it as well.

I do see your point re basketball, there is no corresponding long standing event matching countries.

Reactions: Glenn's take
Sure, watch whatever you want to watch. One difference though is that golfers and soccer players already compete internationally in huge, long standing historically significant events, e.g., World Cup, Ryder Cup, all the majors, etc. World Cup is exactly like Olympics, i.e., country vs. country. So Olympics is nothing unique. I think I read that the soccer matches are pretty much U23 players, lot of the top stars have opted out. I have not checked the Olympic golf tournament entries, but would guess a lot of top stars are skipping it as well.

I do see your point re basketball, there is no corresponding long standing event matching countries.
I'm not sure if any golfers have opted not to play.

why can't wining the gold medal coexist with winning the NBA? It doesn't have to be 1 or the other. Has everyone lost their allegiance to this country? It sure seems that way most of the time. Ask Brittney Griner if here time in Russia was enjoyable? She was carrying drugs, & got caught. Then she begged the United States to get her freedom, even after she was spewing all of the crap against this country. Does she have more allegiance to the United States and her freedom now? Who knows.
When I was younger and playing a lot of softball, I played in the Bluegrass games in Lexington. I was probably 24 or so, but that was a big deal to me, as well as the other guys. The gold medals weren't real, but they were nice trophies to have.
I'd bet that some of those guys are very proud to represent the United States and want to win.

Stupid take. If it was left to sports with JUST athletes who doesn't play their respective sport other than when the Olympics comes around, there wouldn't be any events. How do they qualify ? Do you just have athletes that are "part time" and work regular jobs ? Just because a player / team plays their sport as their job, doesn't mean it should not be an Olympic sport.

I do wish we could bring our professional boxers to the Olympics. Could you imagine guys like Terrence Crawford, Tank Davis, Devin Haney, Shakur Stevenson, etc. fight in 3 round matches ?

Will MMA ever be considered for an Olympic sport ? Doubt it, but man that would be something.

Just spit balling here, but would guess that the average pro golfer would rate an Olympics medal above Presidents Cup win and below Ryder Cup.

It's essentially a world golf championship w/ a different label, although this doesn't include all of the world's best players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT