ADVERTISEMENT

Shocking: NCAA investigating Arizona!! What would make them do that lol

anigif_enhanced-buzz-19195-1377272136-18.gif

I was going to post this link, but you did it first. Thanks.

Fans who have been saying Cal has been "losing his recruiting touch", or that "we need Coach O back", or that Mitch Barnhart has not been a good AD, really need to read the link, study findings of the FBI investigation, wake up, and try to understand the full scope of what has really been going on here.

Thanks to Eli Capilouto, Lee Todd, Sandy Bell, and Barnhart, UK complies with NCAA rules. If our fans fully understand this, most will agree and approve.

For years, Cal's recruiting board has been restricted because he drops basketball prospects whose families have their hands out. Given current evidence, I suspect this is exactly why Cal dropped Romeo Langford, Naz Reid, DeAndre Ayton, and Mohamed Bamba, and also why Bol Bol, Zion Williamson, and Cam Reddish dropped UK from their lists. It is why Cal never recruited Billy Preston or Trevon Duval.

Despite being restricted to recruiting only players who weren't looking for a financial signing bonus, Cal still signs one of the top two classes in the country every year. He also gets players like Herro and Booker, who weren't on the boards of other top programs, and he coaches them up to become high first round OADs. And now that we have solid circumstantial (better than that, in some cases) evidence that Duke, Arizona, Kansas, UL, Oregon, LSU, and Auburn have been paying players to sign, Cal's accomplishments at UK are doubly impressive in that light.

Last edited:
Well they had to somehow destroy one wildcat program. Since they have nothing on us or Villanova it falls on Arizona

https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...ecruiting-villanova-fbi-investigation-arizona

5-Star PG Jahvon Quinerly Decommits from Arizona amid FBI Probe

The fve-star point guard and former Arizona commit has pledged to Villanova.

Quinerly was allegedly the recruit that got Arizona into trouble:

How do we know it’s Quinerly? The document reported that Richardson took a total of $20,000 in bribes and gave most of it to a “top point guard” who committed “around three days” before Aug. 11. Quinerly, a five-star point guard, announced on ESPNU on Aug. 8 that he would play for to Arizona.

I believe Quinerly is currently in the transfer portal.

I guess it is a slow period for the NCAA and if they don't start investigating they might have to lay off a few people.
The NCAA is understaffed. That's why they have to hire contract investigators, counsel, and other outside consultants. I am not going to defend them, but it would be better if critics had a clue. The NCAA was formed and is run by its members, including UK. They are not some mysterious, nefarious third party.

Reactions: Chase4UK
We know now why Cal didn't give Ayton a look..It was the cheaters that recruited him..KU and Ari...
It seemed so bizarre at the time that they wouldn’t give him the time of day. He had basically said early on that Kentucky was his leader, then Cal avoided him like he had Ebola. Again, situations like that are why I’m not worried about Kentucky getting caught up in this mess.

Fans who have been saying Cal has been "losing his recruiting touch", or that "we need Coach O back", or that Mitch Barnhart has not been a good AD, really need to read the link, study findings of the FBI investigation, wake up, and try to understand the full scope of what has really been going on here.

Thanks to Eli Capilouto, Lee Todd, Sandy Bell, and Barnhart, UK complies with NCAA rules. If our fans fully understand this, most will agree and approve.

For years, Cal's recruiting board has been restricted because he drops basketball prospects whose families have their hands out. Given current evidence, I suspect this is exactly why Cal dropped Romeo Langford, Naz Reid, DeAndre Ayton, and Mohamed Bamba, and also why Bol Bol, Zion Williamson, and Cam Reddish dropped UK from their lists. It is why Cal never recruited Billy Preston or Trevon Duval.

Despite being restricted to recruiting only players who weren't looking for a financial signing bonus, Cal still signs one of the top two classes in the country every year. He also gets players like Herro and Booker, who weren't on the boards of other top programs, and he coaches them up to become high first round OADs. And now that we have solid circumstantial (better than that, in some cases) evidence that Duke, Arizona, Kansas, UL, Oregon, LSU, and Auburn have been paying players to sign, Cal's accomplishments at UK are doubly impressive in that light.
Well said

This. It's truly amazing what Cal has been able to do, while recruiting with one arm tied behind his back. We are so lucky to have him as our Coach. Some of our fans need to wake up and realize that. He single handedly saved our program from mediocrity. That's the truth.

It seemed so bizarre at the time that they wouldn’t give him the time of day. He had basically said early on that Kentucky was his leader, then Cal avoided him like he had Ebola. Again, situations like that are why I’m not worried about Kentucky getting caught up in this mess.
Yep. Several of us here knew what was really going on at that time, you included. Then, several here thought we were full of it. Well, their tune has probably changed completely since.

Well you know I was one of the fans that was wrong it sucks that Cal had to recruit against this! The NCAA needs to not just open up an investigation against Arizona I think there is quite a few other schools that are involved in this pay for play too!!!!!

Well you know I was one of the fans that was wrong it sucks that Cal had to recruit against this! The NCAA needs to not just open up an investigation against Arizona I think there is quite a few other schools that are involved in this pay for play too!!!!!
Agreed. I would like to hear @miracle7s thoughts on this. He says players were being paid to come to UK for the first five or six years Cal was here.

This. It's truly amazing what Cal has been able to do, while recruiting with one arm tied behind his back. We are so lucky to have him as our Coach. Some of our fans need to wake up and realize that. He single handedly saved our program from mediocrity. That's the truth.
I wouldn't agree that Cal "singlehandedly saved our program from mediocrity". Basketball is a team sport, and there is some credit to go around. UK won 7 national championships before Cal got here, and UK will win more national championships after Cal retires. But I would certainly agree with the idea that Cal retooled our program faster from the consequences of BCG's alcoholism and poor coping skills in the limelight than any other coach could have at that particular time. So maybe we are saying the same thing in different ways.

We will never know if Cal, left strictly to his own devices, would have ended up like Hank Iba or like Sean Miller. We just don't know that. But we know that Cal, in an athletics dept. under the supervision of Mitch Barnhart and Sandy Bell, is emerging as one of the few true good guys in college basketball, at a time when some very successful coaches like Rick Pitino, Bill Self, and Sean Miller are watching their careers go up in smoke due to airing of their dirty laundry. Many posters here said it would never happen to Pitino. Now they say it will never happen to Coach K. They were dead wrong about Pitino, and they will also be wrong about Coach K unless Nike can drop a large bag over the whole Zion thing after the cat is already halfway out.

But in contrast, Cal is looking more and more like the long term winner, while still recruiting top classes and developing more NBA players than anyone else. Cal and Barnhart have played it perfectly, and it is time our own fans give them some real credit.

Yep. Several of us here knew what was really going on at that time, you included. Then, several here thought we were full of it. Well, their tune has probably changed completely since.
It was common knowledge..When UK, Duke, UNC are not recruiting the #1 player in the class, you know he's dirty

Reactions: kl40504
I wouldn't agree that Cal "singlehandedly saved our program from mediocrity". Basketball is a team sport, and there is some credit to go around. UK won 7 national championships before Cal got here, and UK will win more national championships after Cal retires. But I would certainly agree with the idea that Cal retooled our program faster from the consequences of BCG's alcoholism and poor coping skills in the limelight than any other coach could have at that particular time. So maybe we are saying the same thing in different ways.

We will never know if Cal, left strictly to his own devices, would have ended up like Hank Iba or like Sean Miller. We just don't know that. But we know that Cal, in an athletics dept. under the supervision of Mitch Barnhart and Sandy Bell, is emerging as one of the few true good guys in college basketball, at a time when some very successful coaches like Rick Pitino, Bill Self, and Sean Miller are watching their careers go up in smoke due to airing of their dirty laundry. Many posters here said it would never happen to Pitino. Now they say it will never happen to Coach K. They were dead wrong about Pitino, and they will also be wrong about Coach K unless Nike can drop a large bag over the whole Zion thing after the cat is already halfway out.

But in contrast, Cal is looking more and more like the long term winner, while still recruiting top classes and developing more NBA players than anyone else. Cal and Barnhart have played it perfectly, and it is time our own fans give them some real credit.
Yeah, maybe I didn't word that right. We were never really consistently mediocre, but it was headed that direction. The last few years of Tubby and the two years of the drunk were most definitely consistently mediocre years, all in succession.

Cal's first three years, we went to the EE, FF and won a title. His first year, 2010, we probably should've won the title, but had one terrible night shooting and got bounced. We were one player away IMO. Had Jodie returned, we go undefeated in Cal's first year. JMO. Then, in 2011, we were one player away yet again. Had the NCAA allowed Kanter to play, we cut down the nets. Again, JMO.

Anyway, that's what I mean about Cal saving the program. We haven't had this kind of success since the 90s, possibly ever. Imagine if there was a level playing field in recruiting and on the court. We're most likely looking at a Wooden/UCLA type of run. Cal has done it without having any team continuity from one year to the next, whatsoever.

What he has done and continues to do, with a handicap mind you, is unbelievable really. I still say he's the best coach in the country. The hell with whoever doesn't like it. No, I'm not talking about you lol

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t posted on here that they don’t have a new rule where they don’t have to do investigations since they can use the evidence that FBI will provide them?

I’m starting to feel better and better. Lots of hard evidence has been gathered thus far and none of it implicated Duke. Long way to go though.

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t posted on here that they don’t have a new rule where they don’t have to do investigations since they can use the evidence that FBI will provide them?
Yes, to a point. They'll still investigate but they will use evidence from court proceedings as is. Ruh-roh

Reactions: CatfanMike47

I totally agree with you. I am so proud of Cal that he refuses to play ball, so to speak. I would rather not have the top class and have the #2 class (lol) if we have to pay to get it. I mean, look at Duke. They had the top class and top 3 players (assuming bought and paid for) and it did t help them at all. Actually we did better without having to pay. I believe Cal is a man of honor and integrity. And although some of the things he does irritates me, they are really small in the grand scheme of things. I am glad he is our coach and that he represents UK. Thanks, Cal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT