ADVERTISEMENT

Sheppard on pace to break Rondo's single season steals record

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
Adding to that, Sheppard currently leads the SEC in steals at 31 in just 11 games, an average of 2.8 thefts per contest. If he keeps this pace up, he could break Kentucky’s all-time single-season steals record, currently held by Rajon Rondo, who had 87 during the 2004-05 season across 34 games. Sheppard’s current pace would put him at 94 steals in 34 games.

When we get 5 games into SEC play I'll get excited for him. Shep is a nice player and I'm sure glad we have him but when things heat up we'll see

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
You can't call the steals so far a fluke; even if his steals per game go down you can't deny he has great ball and court awareness. If post season steals count towards the record I think he'll have several more games than 34 and get the record.

When we get 5 games into SEC play I'll get excited for him. Shep is a nice player and I'm sure glad we have him but when things heat up we'll see
Good Lord Doc UK has played KU, UNC, Miami, St Joes and Penn and The Ky Kid has excelled. No way the SEC is better than those five teams.

Reed is a 19 yr old phenom.

Reactions: chroix
Rajon Rondo point shaving and sleeping with Patrick Sparks gf was the original Klutch won’t let Bradshaw play RR made up rumor.

Reactions: UKBB4Ever
Adding to that, Sheppard currently leads the SEC in steals at 31 in just 11 games, an average of 2.8 thefts per contest. If he keeps this pace up, he could break Kentucky’s all-time single-season steals record, currently held by Rajon Rondo, who had 87 during the 2004-05 season across 34 games. Sheppard’s current pace would put him at 94 steals in 34 games.

It has been said that Reed Sheppard is the "most well rounded" player on our team. Let's just cut to the chase. Reed is the best player on our team, period. It is a joke that Reed is not starting. Reed and Billingham both ought to be starting. Yes, I know playing at crunch time is more important. Reed and Billingham ought to be doing that too.

It has been said that Reed Sheppard is the "most well rounded" player on our team. Let's just cut to the chase. Reed is the best player on our team, period. It is a joke that Reed is not starting. Reed and Billingham both ought to be starting. Yes, I know playing at crunch time is more important. Reed and Billingham ought to be doing that too.
Who’s this Billingham you speak of?

I never thought I’d see a guard get close to that honestly. Rondo seemed to have 4 steals a game. Best guard I’ve ever seen steal the ball. It would be a hell of an accomplishment to break that record.

I never thought I’d see a guard get close to that honestly. Rondo seemed to have 4 steals a game. Best guard I’ve ever seen steal the ball. It would be a hell of an accomplishment to break that record.
I have a friend who was a college guard and played some pickup games with Rondo. He said Rondo was the hardest defender when it came to protecting the ball. His wingspan and quickness allowed him get his hands on the basketball. He said you always had to protect the ball after you got Rondo on your hip, because he could take it from behind.

Shep is diligent. Plays off the ball in anticipation very well. Sees the offense’s next couple of ball movements before they happen. He also does a great job focusing on the ball in front of him and when he doubles. He is always looking to disrupt. It’s a joy to watch.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nice backhanded compliment, now do DJ
Not intended to be backhanded at all. Shep is a nice player and probably brings as much or more to the table than did college Rondo. They are different types of defensive players. As we get into true road games we will see if Sheps #'s hold up.

So many here seem to be over the top with just about every team or individual stat of this bunch that a little dose of wait and see is deemed criticism. The SEC will be a tough row to hoe this year.

Game is played a lot faster now with far more possessions = more opportunities for steals.

A lot of these all-time stats get skewed by the pace of play changes over the last several years especially.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT