ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Greenberg defends UK players and Cal

I missed what this thread is referencing

Apparently some SEC coaches were anonymously interviewed (No clue why or who gives a damn) and asked about UK players last year and they all talked sh** about our guys.
Called Hagans a trash player, Maxey overrated, Quickley a good shooter but not an NBA caliber player, and some other stuff.

Reactions: Fox2monk
There was a day when the Media had morals and would not quote anonymous crap.

So blame the gutless Coaches...but don't overlook the Click Hungry Low Life Scum reporter.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Cal, but if you mess with his kids, he will roast you. I fully expect Cal will know who said what and they will be dealt with.

But what kind of BS is this? Anonymous? Really?

Also, even if you think a player is trash, as a coach, you can't actually say that. This seems odd to me. I could see one guy saying something stupid, but multiple? Nah.

Say what you want about Cal, but if you mess with his kids, he will roast you. I fully expect Cal will know who said what and they will be dealt with.

But what kind of BS is this? Anonymous? Really?

Also, even if you think a player is trash, as a coach, you can't actually say that. This seems odd to me. I could see one guy saying something stupid, but multiple? Nah.
Tipton do this poll?

I very much understand the impulse to attack coaches making derogatory comments about our players, and to defend our players. I applaud the instinct - it's much better than what you sometimes get around here. I just read the column. It didn't bother me. A few thoughts:

1. I'm against anonymous sources as much as the next guy, but in this context, if you don't tell the coaches it'll be anonymous, they won't be honest. All sugarcoated "he's great!" is what you'll get.
2. If you read it, they talked to 7 coaches, and for the most part (Maxey, Quickley, Nick, Hagans) the comments were pretty evenly split. One guy would say he'd like that player, next guy wouldn't.
3. Which sounds about right to me. We're not talking about Wall/Cousins or AD/MKG. These players are flawed, as I think everyone knows and would agree.
4. For EJ and Whitney, it was more brutal, as you'd expect.
5. Regarding the "he's trash" comment, to these middle aged ears, that sounds personal. But I know from my own teenager, it's not - now it just means "he's no good." The coach basically says, he's not very good on offense, he's not overly athletic, and on defense he could be good but he is selfish because he gambles too much and it hurts his team. I mean.......
6. I thought this comment was a validation. Read it and try to square it with "he just rolls the balls out!":

“They had a really weird team. We played them really tough, but I’ll be the first to admit that I had a hard time trying to decide which one of the guards I was most worried about in terms of which one could hurt us the most. Maxey is young. He’d make a bad choice. Quickley isn’t creating for others. Hagans is a whole different deal, and then the bigs are just ‘eh.’ But then you look up and they’re absolutely the best team in our league. I don’t know. It just feels like there isn’t a far and away, no doubt John Wall guy. They didn’t have that at all.”

Last edited:
Ashton was still all defensive team, and there aren't many pg's I would have taken over him. While he made bone headed mistakes at times, our offense still ran much better when he was on the court. And as a defender, he was by far our best player. He definitely wasn't a trash player. Maybe his attitude could be at times.

I swear to you.. you dont see articles like this in other sports, college or pro, individual or team. At least I dont.. and I follow many other sports.

Its unreal the type of shit Kentucky is pulled into and has to deal with. There was actually a conscious effort to slander and deface our players... sorry, PAST players. Why? What kd rven the point?

Even a team that should be universally hated, the Patriots, dont see the level of this disdain (topics around Bill B and Brady aside).

Calling Hagans “trash” shows what kind of men they are. I don’t mind an honest assessment but it’s obvious we kicked your ass and you’re just a sore loser

I know of at least one poster here that called him trash routinely in the game threads. I agree with your assessment.

Fans calling a player they are rooting for trash in the moment means nothing. I’ve said Cal is trash thousands of times at my big screen. I’ve called the players trash when they play like trash. I’ve called myself trash for rooting for trash then called the wife trash for the food being cold. I’ve been fired for calling my boss trash after he chirped at me after UK played like trash. I've even taken the trash out during games when everything going on was pure trash. I’ve named a new puppy trash after watching Skal.

That’s cool to call our players trash after we easily win the SEC. Kentucky being at the top always brings out the best in these rival bitches.

Whoever complained about officiating with Quickley can GTFO ...... he wasnt even given half the benefit that Duke, UNC, KU and other teams players get.

ANd since I'm always going to be angry at Hagans for throwing the Tenn game by acting like a baby... I'll say the trash comment could of been worded better but Hagans better pray the NBA has a need for a defender only as a PG... otherwise its gonna be foreign leagues.

Whoever complained about officiating with Quickley can GTFO ...... he wasnt even given half the benefit that Duke, UNC, KU and other teams players get.

ANd since I'm always going to be angry at Hagans for throwing the Tenn game by acting like a baby... I'll say the trash comment could of been worded better but Hagans better pray the NBA has a need for a defender only as a PG... otherwise its gonna be foreign leagues.
Officiating has been terrible and f ing biased against us for years. But the past 3 years has been too obvious.

The way Cal takes up for his players does not bode well for the other teams after these comments. If there’s a season next year with the players Cal has it’s going to be bad for the SEC. He might run the score up on them just to remind them how much better UK is than them.

The way Cal takes up for his players does not bode well for the other teams after these comments. If there’s a season next year with the players Cal has it’s going to be bad for the SEC. He might run the score up on them just to remind them how much better UK is than them.
If we only play conference games next season and don’t have the cupcakes to beat up on we’ll have some losses.

There are lots of coaches out there who apparently don’t mind trashing teenagers if they can be anonymous.

LOL, read this board. That are a lot of our own fans who don't know jack shit that like to trash our OWN players, so why are you surprised rival coaches do ??? That is what anonymity on the internet is good for. No repercussions for saying stupid and uncalled for shit about people of all walks of life, not just athletes. I understand criticism of all players and if done properly I can live with. But the if a player, coach or team doesn't satisfy a fans own selfish expectations, they bash them for not making THEM happy, Eff what might be best for the players future. Win, win, win, get me a championship so I can run around and brag to people about something I had nothing to do with winning, other than cheering (when they win of course).

Reactions: Cychologist
If we only play conference games next season and don’t have the cupcakes to beat up on we’ll have some losses.

OK, guess that is why we won the SEC by three games last year. We may have some losses, but other teams will have more, so his point is right. This team coming in has the ABILITY to score a ton, do not be surprised that we boat race a bunch of people next year. Last years team did not have the firepower to score in bunches so there where some closer games than normal.

LOL, read this board. That are a lot of our own fans who don't know jack shit that like to trash our OWN players, so why are you surprised rival coaches do ??? That is what anonymity on the internet is good for. No repercussions for saying stupid and uncalled for shit about people of all walks of life, not just athletes. I understand criticism of all players and if done properly I can live with. But the if a player, coach or team doesn't satisfy a fans own selfish expectations, they bash them for not making THEM happy, Eff what might be best for the players future. Win, win, win, get me a championship so I can run around and brag to people about something I had nothing to do with winning, other than cheering (when they win of course).
I agree with this sentiment

The SEC coaches who said this bull needs to own up!
Even the ones that didn’t participate in this, need to address a grown arse man who calls a 19 yr old trash.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT