ADVERTISEMENT

Serious question....what do the people assigned to the college basketball section at ESPN do?

Jun 29, 2018
Because pretty much every team has a full roster now and they still haven't updated the rosters. It really wouldn't take that long to do either.

Reactions: BigKari
I mean, still a bunch of dudes in the portal, and unsigned players. And it's mid June. If you just go looking for things to complain about, have at it I guess. It's not trivial to update rosters for 351 D1 schools unless there is some universal API you can call on with automation. (There isn't)

No one cares about college basketball until March. ESPN knows this.
That's actually pretty accurate. Outside of some big rivalries or early season tournament games on a boring Saturday, a lot of people don't really care much about college basketball until people start hearing words like "madness, bubble, or bracket".

If people at ESPN are looking for something to do, maybe do some actual journalism and see why a Chiefs player is getting arrested seemingly once a week. Where's that conversation?

Reactions: flacat22
ESPN spends most of their time and money promoting argumentative round table shows about football, and finding ways to milk every ounce of controversy out of any topic they can find. College basketball is months away, so that won't be looked at for a good while I'm sure.

OP, how about you go list EVERY roster for EVERY team,,, in June. Teams are not complete, hell we still have one more addition. I see no need listing rosters in June, only to have to go back and alter them when teams add players. Not EVERY teams roster is complete. But go knock yourself out, LOL.

Ok, I get that there are still some people that are not yet committed, and it is mid-June, but they do have a website allegedly about sports. They have this information and they maintain it. So, I don't know, maybe they should do that.

I'm sure they can have some interns or low-level employees do the grunt work. I don't go to Target's website to get this info, so I'm not ragging on them for not having it. This is ESPN, so yeah, I expect them to. BTW, I know it's not just them. CBSSports.com doesn't either.

OP, how about you go list EVERY roster for EVERY team,,, in June. Teams are not complete, hell we still have one more addition. I see no need listing rosters in June, only to have to go back and alter them when teams add players. Not EVERY teams roster is complete. But go knock yourself out, LOL.
When I become a multi-billion dollar network with a ton of employees and resources maybe I will. Also, I don't think you used all caps enough. Do better.

I’m sorry, is silents working for ESPN? Is it his job to cover that angle for ESPN? He’s merely suggesting a SPORTS NETWORK have lineups adjusted so people can see them up to date in real time. Too much to ask?

Your post makes no sense.

I’m sorry, is silents working for ESPN? Is it his job to cover that angle for ESPN? He’s merely suggesting a SPORTS NETWORK have lineups adjusted so people can see them up to date in real time. Too much to ask?

Your post makes no sense.
OK, how about YOU do all the rosters 4/5 months before the season starts and get them to the OP. My post makes plenty of sense. He asked why the rosters wasn't up on team sites, I simply stated that is a lot of work to do months before the season, especially when some team rosters are not a final roster. Don't you think it is kind of odd NOBODY (ESPN, CBS, NBC, Fox, Sports Reference, etc. etc.) has done it yet ? So just like me, they to think it is way too early to do it. If it wasn't too soon, some sports sites would have done it already. Just like UK hasn't listed the 24-25 schedule yet. It is NOT complete yet, so no need having to do it two or three times just to appease bored fans.

Obviously @RunninRichie hates whiteness. You should see his anti-south rants. The way he promotes the north and big government upsets me but there’s not much you can do.

OK, how about YOU do all the rosters 4/5 months before the season starts and get them to the OP. My post makes plenty of sense. He asked why the rosters wasn't up on team sites, I simply stated that is a lot of work to do months before the season, especially when some team rosters are not a final roster. Don't you think it is kind of odd NOBODY (ESPN, CBS, NBC, Fox, Sports Reference, etc. etc.) has done it yet ? So just like me, they to think it is way too early to do it. If it wasn't too soon, some sports sites would have done it already. Just like UK hasn't listed the 24-25 schedule yet. It is NOT complete yet, so no need having to do it two or three times just to appease bored fans.

It’s a sports network. What do you mean a lot of work? It’s literally all they do lol. They have thousands of employees and this is a major billion dollar sport. Yes, they should do something as simple as update rosters in real time especially the power programs like the SEC and BIG10. Most teams are fairly complete right now too, so there’s no reason not to at least have their major contracted conferences updated. This isn’t middle school.

ESPN doesn’t do it because the network has turned into MTV and doesn’t care about sports the way they used to. They’ve got other obligations, like inviting racial dynamics and being a passive mouthpiece for preferred political parties. If they can spend hours on end doing half of the crap they do then they can update a major sports’ major conference team rosters which is their JOB in the first place. This isn’t the sports section in a local newspaper, this is supposed to be the world wide leader in sports. Something as simple as updated rosters at this point shouldn’t be in debate. No, it makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigKari
I mean, still a bunch of dudes in the portal, and unsigned players. And it's mid June. If you just go looking for things to complain about, have at it I guess. It's not trivial to update rosters for 351 D1 schools unless there is some universal API you can call on with automation. (There isn't)
It is fairly trivial. Yahoo is mostly updated. No reason to believe it would be any great burden on Disney. We’re talking 1 intern using available tools, at a cost of maybe $10 a day of labor.

Reactions: Killswitch24
I could have every current P5 roster uploaded by the end of the day, and all rosters complete by the end of the week. ESPN, come find me I’ll work for a reasonable rate. It really is unfathomable laziness on their part.

Reactions: Killswitch24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT