ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like Nobody Cares about Championships

I am about one more lackluster season away from throwing in the towel. Don’t blame the players at all. Constant roster turnover to make more money doesn’t inspire much loyalty on my part.

I haven’t posted much because I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. Mark Pope is a very underwhelming hire. IMO, he would be a perfect Ivy League coach. I just don’t see a positive future at all. I think he will have to overpay for mid tier players and the NIL folks will get tired of writing large checks for poor results.

I like him more than Cal, but that’s not saying much.

It’s pretty much this….
1f5

I hate what college basketball and college sports in general are becoming. NIL and the transfer portal, if not regulated properly, will kill off college sports.

It’s all about the bag of cash. Kinda sickening really. Traveling all star teams, pretty soon they will stop calling traveling and palming the ball. There has to be some parameters set. This process of portaling every damn year will be maddening. Sadly, it’s still a process of one and done. You should only be able to attend 2 schools in a 4 year period. There should be a cap on the amount of money involved. College Basketball as we have known it is over. Not sure I like this shit.
Those kids at UCONN seem to

This current NIL model and transfer portal stuff wont last. It's gonna be all about Schools making players sign contracts.

The game I and all of older fans grew up with is gone and it's never coming back.
As fan you either adapt and except it or simply don't watch if it upsets you that much.
I don't like it. But it is what it is. I watch every UK game and will till I'm dead. I watch less and less regular season non UK games now.
Still enjoy watching conference tournament week and the NCAA tournament games.

And every single one of you that were guaranteed life changing money would leave UK and go where that money was.
It's easy to say you wouldn't when you're behind a keyboard and don't have the money offer.

Don't blame Reed or any of these players that are guaranteed that type of money. Blame the one and done program and blame the NBA sure. But to blame kids for accepting life changing money is crazy. Understand blaming the ones leaving who aren't lottery picks or the ones who have little to no chance to even be drafted.

Last edited:
It’s all about the bag of cash. Kinda sickening really. Traveling all star teams, pretty soon they will stop calling traveling and palming the ball. There has to be some parameters set. This process of portaling every damn year will be maddening. Sadly, it’s still a process of one and done. You should only be able to attend 2 schools in a 4 year period. There should be a cap on the amount of money involved. College Basketball as we have known it is over. Not sure I like this shit.
If you’re a 19 year old, or any age for that matter, and you dont have any money, then yes money is the most important factor

It’ll be hard to put what I mean into words, but I’ll try.

I like that NCAA players are getting paid, but there has to be something in place (incentives for wins, tourneys, etcetera) for these guys to care about leaving it on the floor. Some guys are flat competitors and will bring it every night regardless. Others will take their “bags” and mail it in. I think we (as fans) just want to know that the players are playing hard i.e. doing their job and not mailing it in.

Will NCAA ball become more watered down? Will fans lose interest? Is this the best way to keep fans engaged, players paid, and programs strong? Is it overall better now? It is for the players, for sure…

I don’t have the answers, but so far I’m 50-50 on the portal stuff. It certainly makes things more fluid for coaches and players, but when does it get plain silly?

Portaling is at a peak right now but will eventually settle down.

The extra covid year is running out which had a lot to do with all the turnover the last couple of years.

Also, as pay/NIL becomes more organized/standardized there will eventually be some expectations. Chief among those expectations will be staying put.

Right now there is no real set market. A player can say "i'm worth this much, and some dumb f8ck school will pay it..."

Eventually, we'll see a more professional collectively bargained model with criteria. There will be pay scales and transparency. Everyone will be able to see who's getting what.

I think there will be a shift back to a more traditional model. Thanks largely to the women's game and Caitlyn Clark of all things.

There are no men getting State Farm commercials and the women's game coincidentally exploded in popularity setting ratings records over the past couple of years. There's a reason and science behind that.

The men's game lost its ability to create stars via OAD and transferring. Women do not transfer as often, and they do not go pro as early. Thus, staying put at a program you become familiar and loved or hated...either way the audience/interest grows.

Casual fans can name more women's CBB players right now. Ice cube isn't offering Kentucky or any other top tier program kids 5-million-dollar contracts to play in his big 3 league. The big-name girls are getting on SNL, late night shows, podcasts, Pat Macafee, etc... Not the men. Why? Because nobody knows or cares who the f8ck they are.

Nobody is trying to follow a kid to 2-3 different schools. Nobody is following a freshman who most likely leave in 6 months and disappear into the NBA.

Reactions: meow_cat
If you’re a 19 year old, or any age for that matter, and you dont have any money, then yes money is the most important factor
This, and none of those pushing against players getting paid would ever turn money down.

The NCAA has been benefitting from the students busting their asses for decades. And quite frankly, millions vs the cost of an education, which is additional work on top of them already working their asses off is not a fair trade.

• Love
Reactions: dakid_0812
Money rules all. We've seen it for over a decade w/UK players jumping to the league for that paycheck. Yes, as a red blooded American, if I had enough talent to get paid for it...I'm getting paid. Sorry real truth, but I'm sure my sentiment is shared with plenty of players whether they can go to the NBA or not.

Most of us called this a mile away....

But there were those who argued 17 year old kids should be allowed to chase the bag no matter the cost or consequences. Some argued like this was going to be 'power to the people, comrade!', and that the players should be allowed to do whatever they want and demand whatever they want.

So it's not surprising to see hall of fame coaches retire. It's not surprising for NCAA tournament viewership to be less than what it was a decade ago. There is a reason pro leagues have salary rules and restrictions, and no, it's not because owners are greedy.

NIL opened the floodgates, but the only people really benefitting are the top 2% of football/basketball players, and female gymnasts. Also, not surprising.

You see how quickly things changed in 2+ years. Give it ten years from now and college basketball will look nothing like it did ten years ago.

Then they need to quit pretending that they’re going to college. Why do they even bother with “scholarships”? What is the NCAA’s role in all this? Answer: to make money.
Scholarships….the forgotten item in this relationship. Some of these guys should be setting up scholarships instead of receiving them.

realistically why should players care about championships as long as they’re being well paid?
winning a championship isn’t going to put anymore money in their pocket.
now if you want to talk about incentive pay along with their base pay they might play harder. see where all this is headed?

Reactions: KailuaCat
Then they need to quit pretending that they’re going to college. Why do they even bother with “scholarships”? What is the NCAA’s role in all this? Answer: to make money.
i think scholarships will still be part of the recruit’s package when he’s hired but whether he uses it will be optional. like you said it’s ludicrous to pretend to be a “student” athlete when anyone with a pea sized brain can see it’s just a charade.

Reactions: HeismaNole
I am about one more lackluster season away from throwing in the towel. Don’t blame the players at all. Constant roster turnover to make more money doesn’t inspire much loyalty on my part.

I haven’t posted much because I don’t want to rain on anyone’s parade. Mark Pope is a very underwhelming hire. IMO, he would be a perfect Ivy League coach. I just don’t see a positive future at all. I think he will have to overpay for mid tier players and the NIL folks will get tired of writing large checks for poor results.

I like him more than Cal, but that’s not saying much.
This post speaks to our entitlement as a fanbase. I believe in expecting excellence, but I also know that it isn't always sustainable. These times measure our loyalty to an institution we are proud of. Also, times like this make getting back on top much more enjoyable and impressive.
Anyone who would throw in the towel now was never much of a fan.

This post speaks to our entitlement as a fanbase. I believe in expecting excellence, but I also know that it isn't always sustainable. These times measure our loyalty to an institution we are proud of. Also, times like this make getting back on top much more enjoyable and impressive.
Anyone who would throw in the towel now was never much of a fan.
Yeah yeah. To each their own. Tired of writing checks every year for no loyalty. Hopefully I am wrong about Pope.

The game I and all of older fans grew up with is gone and it's never coming back.
As fan you either adapt and except it or simply don't watch if it upsets you that much.
I don't like it. But it is what it is. I watch every UK game and will till I'm dead. I watch less and less regular season non UK games now.
Still enjoy watching conference tournament week and the NCAA tournament games.

And every single one of you that were guaranteed life changing money would leave UK and go where that money was.
It's easy to say you wouldn't when you're behind a keyboard and don't have the money offer.

Don't blame Reed or any of these players that are guaranteed that type of money. Blame the one and done program and blame the NBA sure. But to blame kids for accepting life changing money is crazy. Understand blaming the ones leaving who aren't lottery picks or the ones who have little to no chance to even be drafted.
I would do the same thing if I was in their shoes. Just a different game now.

All of this is what makes me leery about our new situation. We're banking on kids caring about a rabid fanbase and tradition. Those were our strengths in the past.

Kids nowadays don't care about any of that. It's the pros and money they can make now. Kinda feels like our approach is gonna go the way of the dodo. It's pretty crappy to watch, but we've seen the decline over the last few years, like right after the 2020 team.
The odds any college player make a pro team is slim and none. Tell the kids the truth, recruit to your system, and never mention the GD pros again. The NBA is the real problem here because of their greed

They don't make money off attendance...

They make money off TV watchers, and in that regard, it's been downhill ever since they began claiming everyone was racist.
Go woke go broke. I guess that’s why they’re making record revenues and have 18 guys making over $40 million a year 44 making over $30 million, and 75 making over $20 million. Maybe boycott them like y’all did the NFL and they will start to fall apart like the NFL. 😂🤣

BTW, they absolutely make money of attendance, merchandise, sponsorships, as well as the TV deals. Maybe boycott them too. 😄

• Love
Go woke go broke. I guess that’s why they’re making record revenues and have 18 guys making over $40 million a year 44 making over $30 million, and 75 making over $20 million. Maybe boycott them like y’all did the NFL and they will start to fall apart like the NFL. 😂🤣

BTW, they absolutely make money of attendance, merchandise, sponsorships, as well as the TV deals. Maybe boycott them too. 😄
Not sure what player salaries have to do with how many people are watching the games, but...

'The revenue of 30 NBA teams in 2021 stands at $6.41 billion.
This is a 19% decrease from 2020, and the second year in a row with a decrease in revenue, after dropping by 10% in 2020.

During the first decade of the 21st century, the league revenue had an average year-by-year growth of 5%. Every season had positive growth.

From the 2010/11 season, the league's revenue has been growing at an average rate of 8%. However, 3 seasons faced negative revenue growth, including the 2020/21 season.'

I'm not wrong.

Laughy face, laughy face.

Not watching is not the same as boycotting. I can not bother to watch the games without making a statement, weirdo.

Tell that to UConn.

Kentucky has to completely rebuild its culture from the ground up. How about you give the new coach more than 5 days to do it?
Maybe Pope could just borrow/steal UConns culture for the first couple of years. We wanted Hurley anyway. I have never heard of BYU culture. UConn has actually won an NCAA game.

Not sure what player salaries have to do with how many people are watching the games, but...

'The revenue of 30 NBA teams in 2021 stands at $6.41 billion.
This is a 19% decrease from 2020, and the second year in a row with a decrease in revenue, after dropping by 10% in 2020.

During the first decade of the 21st century, the league revenue had an average year-by-year growth of 5%. Every season had positive growth.

From the 2010/11 season, the league's revenue has been growing at an average rate of 8%. However, 3 seasons faced negative revenue growth, including the 2020/21 season.'

I'm not wrong.

Laughy face, laughy face.

Not watching is not the same as boycotting. I can not bother to watch the games without making a statement, weirdo.
So revenue dropped during the covid years, imagine that. It’s 2024 now and revenues and salaries are soaring. LOL at how triggered you are. Just a FYI, no one cares what you watch or don’t watch. Funny how the people who hate the NBA and don’t watch the NBA are experts on the NBA.

• Love
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT