ADVERTISEMENT

Seems like Nobody Cares about Championships

Nov 5, 2023
It’s all about the bag of cash. Kinda sickening really. Traveling all star teams, pretty soon they will stop calling traveling and palming the ball. There has to be some parameters set. This process of portaling every damn year will be maddening. Sadly, it’s still a process of one and done. You should only be able to attend 2 schools in a 4 year period. There should be a cap on the amount of money involved. College Basketball as we have known it is over. Not sure I like this shit.

yeah I ranted a out this on reddit earlier in the season. The product is ruined. These dudes are professionals now and we already have a professional league that is pretty damn great right now. So what are we doing here? This is G league jr and the only thing keeping it a float is a fans nostalgia of years past. I never imagined saying this 10 years ago but I think the NBA is a better product now and I could prolly stop caring about it and not really miss it.

The NCAA was overstepping for decades, and this is the result. They really screwed the pooch not putting some kind of framework in place. Now that won’t happen without some kind of collective bargaining agreement.

But, you know, free market…. That’s where we are now. The NCAA makes literally billions of dollars, it’s about time that the players get their share. It’s obscene coaches make $5 million + and the star players got only a scholarship when there are billions of dollars bouncing around.

yeah I ranted a out this on reddit earlier in the season. The product is ruined. These dudes are professionals now and we already have a professional league that is pretty damn great right now. So what are we doing here? This is G league jr and the only thing keeping it a float is a fans nostalgia of years past. I never imagined saying this 10 years ago but I think the NBA is a better product now and I could prolly stop caring about it and not really miss it.
The NBA is in its worst spot ever. But I agree with the rest.

The NCAA was overstepping for decades, and this is the result. They really screwed the pooch not putting some kind of framework in place. Now that won’t happen without some kind of collective bargaining agreement.

But, you know, free market…. That’s where we are now. The NCAA makes literally billions of dollars, it’s about time that the players get their share. It’s obscene coaches make $5 million + and the star players got only a scholarship when there are billions of dollars bouncing around.
Only a scholarship? Only free education, a stipend, access to team trainers and medical care, free meals, free housing at some schools. Oh those poor souls.... I would have killed for ''only a scholarship''.

You’re not wrong. The ncaa pushed it off long enough to let other people fund NiL and allow them to keep all their proceeds. The ncaa should be sharing as well.

I'm not a fan of this evolution. The old way was too one-sided in favor of the member institutions, and the new way is the exact opposite. Since the illusion of these being amatuers who are getting an education and playing for the love of their university is gone forever, I wouldn't be opposed to collective bargaining, but have no idea how it would work.

Ideally, the unlimited free transfers needs to stop. Pro sports free agency isn't that absurd. I think 1 freebie and 1 "old school" sit a year per career is plenty with the exception of hardship waivers. But, I know the genie isn't going back in the bottle with this issue.

If the constant turnover becomes unwatchable, changes will be made or the sport will die.

Good for the guys getting money but I'm not a fan of the way things are. The school doesn't matter. What conference you're in doesn't matter. It's all about money. There are a few kids where it's about the relationship with the coach but the money still has to be there.

Reactions: RunninRichie

They get an education if they want it without 250,000 of debt.

Reactions: CatsDomain
It’s all about the bag of cash. Kinda sickening really. Traveling all star teams, pretty soon they will stop calling traveling and palming the ball. There has to be some parameters set. This process of portaling every damn year will be maddening. Sadly, it’s still a process of one and done. You should only be able to attend 2 schools in a 4 year period. There should be a cap on the amount of money involved. College Basketball as we have known it is over. Not sure I like this shit.
The only difference financially is it's out in the open now. This really has been going on for a long time-only it's legal so the other programs who followed the rules or used them as their excuse to not participate on the level you are seeing have joined the fray.

Some of us tried to tell everyone that "Front of the Jersey" thing sounds great to fans and is cool to say-but to get them to wear the jersey at all-you have to engage in making these guys happy with:

1. $
2. Playing Time

The thing that is interesting is how some coaches then turn around and coach them harder than ever because these guys are openly getting paid and are "employees" and others coddle and make excuses (our recent and now ex HC).

Front the Jersey still matters to some, but the Portal isn't where you find that. There's a reason they are all leaving/looking for new opportunities and it's not out of passion for where they are going.

Tell that to UConn.

Kentucky has to completely rebuild its culture from the ground up. How about you give the new coach more than 5 days to do it?
yep, they passed duke for titles, will probably pass unc shortly and be 3rd all-time.

Reddit, really, no offense but did Pioneer Woman respond?

Reactions: CNJ1966
Bingo

I don’t mind the players getting paid but what messed up the game was letting them transfer immediately multiple times
This. Get your money, but four teams in four years would be horrible to watch whether NBA or college.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
Well hate to break it to you they really don't call palming, if you took a kid today back in time to say 1985 that kid would not be able to bring the ball up the court without palming being called. Is that rule even in the rule book any more. Yes it is about the cash, and you have Jerry Jones trying to buy a team by out bidding everyone. I do agree after you transfer once there should be some penalty for constantly transferring. I personally hope congress creates a federal rule that governs NIL but that ain't happening anytime soon.

You know, if no one gave a shit about UK ball, like say UK women's golf, then this would be a non issue. It would be a true collegiate sport. True student athletes.

It is adults obsession and passion for this that has led us here. Like SEC football. If grown ass adults are willing to throw millions, hundreds of millions, into a amatuer sport, this is the result. The athletes finally realize the leverage and power they have.

Again, not a problem with collegiate women's golf.

But the NCAA is still making billions and they aren’t paying the players, we, the fans and tax payers aka NIL sponsors are footing the bill for these players, NCAA still making billions off the product without losing a dime…

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
All of this is what makes me leery about our new situation. We're banking on kids caring about a rabid fanbase and tradition. Those were our strengths in the past.

Kids nowadays don't care about any of that. It's the pros and money they can make now. Kinda feels like our approach is gonna go the way of the dodo. It's pretty crappy to watch, but we've seen the decline over the last few years, like right after the 2020 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT