ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Week 1 Leonard's Losers prognostications

BIGBLUEQ

Sophomore
Jun 23, 2003
Louisiana Lafayette @ Kentucky- The Ragin' Cajuns roll into to Lexington to help Mark Stoop's troops break in the new and improved Commonwealth Stadium. Although the swamp cabbage eaters went bowling more recently than have the Wildcats, they will find that Stoop's CATS have more bite than a big bull gator. Leonard's Loser, Louisiana Lafayette.

Wisconsin @ Alabama- Although this is on neutral turf in AT&T stadium the badgers from Madison may want to place a call before hand and see if they can get some help, because Saban's scarlett elephants will weigh the badgers down with a healthy dose of smash mouth football, and stomp the life out of the varmints from up north. Leonard's Loser- Wisconsin

UTEP @ Arkansas- The miners from El Paso roll into the pig sty in Fayettville looking to dig up a win, unfortunately they will run into a herd of angry Razorbacks looking to prove they are the baddest SEC animal on four legs. With an offensive line the size of some very big hawgs, look for the miners to have porkless trip back to West Texas. Leonard's Loser: UTEP

Louisville @ Auburn- The dirty birds from Derby City travel south to SEC hallowed ground to take on Auburn in the Jawja Dome. With all the talent Loserville lost from last season's team, the War Eagle will have a feast on the Cardinals. Leonard's Loser- Louisville

McNeese State @ LSU- The Cowboys ride into Baton Rouge to take on the Mad Hatter's Bayou Bengals. These ain't the Dallas Cowboys, and I never saw a cowboy rope a tiger and hawg tie him. The Cowboys will take some scarred chaps back to Lake Charles. Leonard's Loser- McNeese State

Mississippi St. @ Southern Miss- The Bulldawgs from Starkvegas trot down to Hattiesburg to take on the Golden Eagles. This could be barn burn of a ball game, but in the end, the bite in the Bulldawg's QB attack will be too much for the big birds to overcome. Leonard's Loser- Southern Miss.

UT Martin @ Ole Miss- The Skyhawks from the volunteer state fly down to Oxford to try and poop on the Rebel's new found success. But there will be plenty of Hotty Toddy to go around at Vaught-Hemingway and the Skyhawks will be laying an egg in the cotton belt. Leonard's Loser- UT Martin

New Mexico St. @ Florida- The desert bovines range into The Swamp to try and bull their way through the heat and humidity and try to horn out a win against a rebuilding bunch of swamp lizards. Even in rebuilding mode under a new coaching staff, the expensive baggage skins will still have enough chomp in 'em to deter the Aggies. Leonard's Loser- New Mexico St.

Louisiana Monroe @ Georgia- The Warhawks glide into Athens, (Jawja, not Greece) to take on Mark Richt's Dawgs down between the hedges. With a a two headed bulldawg rushing attack UGA's boys will take the fight out of the swamp birds early, and get to rest up a little for week 2. Leonard's Loser- Louisiana Monroe

North Carolina @ South Carolina- The OBC takes cocky and crew to Charlotte to take on the dirty footed boys in the other Carolina. Da Gamecocks may not be crowing too loudly these days, but crow they will when they send the Tarheels home to soak their feet. Leonard's Loser- North Carolina

Bowling Green @ Ewe Tee- Seems there are lots of birds flying south this fall for some gridiron action. The Falcons soar into Nashville to take on the rocky toppers from Knoxville at Nissan Stadium. With Butch Jones' long riflemen ready to improve on last season, it wll be a long flight back north with fewer tailfeathers for the Falcons. Leonard's Loser- Bowling Green

WKU @ Vanderbilt- The Hilltoppers roll down I-65 to take on the Commodores in Nashville. Vandy is still Vandy, and WKU has joined the Division 1 ranks and are not to be taken lightly. Vandy still hasn't got the talent to go 4 quarters toe to toe with even the likes of WKU. Leonard's Loser- Vandy

Southeast Missouri @ Mizzou- More birds! The SE Missouri Redhawks come screeching into Columbia looking to pull the upset. The only thing that is going to be upset are the Redhawks as they will be no match for the Show-Me state Tigers. Leonard's Loser- Southeast Missouri

Arizona State @ aTM- The Sundevils stay in the east and take on the Aggies in Houston, hoping the sun doesn't set on them with a big fat "L" in the win-loss column of the sports pages on Sunday. Johnny Football ain't in College Station no longer, and thing could heat up in Houston between these two teams. The Sundevils may be too hot to handle for the Ag majors from Texas. Leonard's Loser- Texas A&M

Reactions: SmackDaddy38
One thing I find funny is Florida plays New Mexico State.. And we have fans complaining that they will be added to our OOC schedule for 2016

Leonard is gone but his spirit lives on! Absolutely LOVE his predictions-- especially his description of UL and a predicted beat down by Auburn.

Put some southern accent on that and we have Leonard back. Love listening to him on game day.

anyone remember the 77-78 teams he would talk about The felines.

Oh yeah, the way he said it was as entertaining as what he said. I think I remember reading that he got that all started leaving Keeneland.

Around Thanksgiving the Lexington KY Felines will be feasting on a different bird than most other revelers. Some red birdies out of Derby town. Leonard's loser UofL

Gotta admit, I had to Google Leonard's Losers to confirm that he was indeed dead. That is a compliment to the poster/author. I was wondering "What does Leonard have against Louisville?" LoL! He was definitely a unique and colorful part of college football history. Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIGBLUEQ
wverybod
Gotta admit, I had to Google Leonard's Losers to confirm that he was indeed dead. That is a compliment to the poster/author. I was wondering "What does Leonard have against Louisville?" LoL! He was definitely a unique and colorful part of college football history. Well done.[/QUOTe Leonard is like anybody with any morals he detested Little Brother.:flush:

Before ESPN and Ganeday existed, there was Leonard. Someone should get the TM rights from the family and bring it back. Was a staple on Saturday mornings.

Well, I didn't steal this from Leonard's son, I actually just came up with it on my own, just remembering listening to him every Saturday during football season growing up. I hope I did Leonard justice in these week 1 prognostications, lol! From what I remember after Leonard died they had a website that tried to keep it going and a webcast, and they introduced the new Leonard as Leonard's nephew, who was in actuality no relation to the real Leonard at all.

Get me outta heah, Percy!

I read the same thing about Leonard coming up with the idea while leaving Keeneland. He and two other sports writers were leaving Keeneland back in 1972 or '73 and the other two were talking football and he told them to hush they didn't know anything about football and he could do a better job at picking the outcome of football games than they could.

One of them told him that if he picked the outcome of football games the way he picked horses, he'd be better off picking the losers. Thus Leonard's Losers was born.

Yeah, that's what I remember too BlueQ. I was thinking too that he might have been so entertaining with it that they suggested he go public with it too. You done a great job of bringing back some good memories on game day. Keep it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT