ADVERTISEMENT

sec country: Keldon Johnson sold his dad on UK

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012
https://www.seccountry.com/kentucky/kentucky-basketball-keldon-johnson-dad-oak-hill

BENTON, Ky. — Keldon Johnson knew he wanted to play for Kentucky. He just needed his dad to trust him.

The 5-star shooting guard from South Hill, Va., signed with the Wildcats on Nov. 11, but Chris Johnson wasn’t convinced that John Calipari’s program was the right fit. Keldon said his dad was pushing for other schools, but eventually they came to an agreement.

“I was more for Maryland and N.C. State because they were local and he would have been the man from Day 1,” Chris Johnson told CatsPause.com. “We went back and forth but he was sold on Kentucky. That was where he really, really wanted to go.”

I'm glad he signed with Kentucky, I think he is a great player. Why would a parent want their son to be the man, why put that kind of pressure on a kid when there are 4 other players who are trying to help the team succeed. That kind of thinking is not what you would expect from parents who have a son that can play big time college basketball after seeing the way a certain player at UCLA turned out, he was supposed to be the man too and look whats still going on.

He seems like a great kid. And has the patience to sign for anyone and everyone who wants his signature. My issue is with the adults, not young kids, who crowd around a teenager to get his autograph. Grow the hell up people. What an embarrassment.

I didn't realize he was so close to me. Just 90 minutes away. May have to drive up & watch a game.

Always so bizarre the percentage of parents who oppose their kid playing at UK. Obviously I'm biased, but I don't get it.

I don't think it is a 'UK thing'. I think it is a 'big program thing'. Notice the dad didn't mention Duke or UNC either. They are just as close, maybe a little closer, to South Hill as NC St, and way closer than Maryland.
I think some parents want the easy way for their kids, preferring them to be the star player on a mediocre team, than to be a solid contributor to a very good team. This is similar to those parents who hold their kid back a year just so they have a slight competitive advantage with a 18-19 yr old SR competing against 17-18 yr old SRs.

While I may not agree with that way of thinking, I do get it.

How does a father recommended NC State and Maryland over UK? His dad must not watch CBB

Reactions: MWes11
How does a father recommended NC State and Maryland over UK? His dad must not watch CBB
only worried about getting to the NBA...said he wanted his son to "be the Man, from day one"...but glad he let son make his own decision....

sounds like he wants what "he thinks" is best; but respects his son enough to also trust his judgement...(said, NO ONE EVER ABOUT THE BALL FAMILY)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT