ADVERTISEMENT

SEASON OPENER: UK vs. WOFFORD

That miscue hurts as Hjelle gives up a double down the left field line to score the runner at first 6-1 UK in the bottom of the 6th.

Reactions: Jeff Drummond
Might be about time to let Hjelle get some rest and test this bullpen. Coach B out to talk to him. Pitch count up around 80 now.

Reactions: Washed_Up2
Hjelle got hit hard, but it was right at Pompey to end the inning. Minimized damage, but I think it might be good to let Hjelle rest. Throwing about 80 on opening day and having a 5 run lead is pretty solid. Let's see how out bullpen does after we get a few more insurance runs in the top of the 7th.

Are you serious?

I was partially mistaken. It is 10 dollars a year, not a month, in order to access their scoreboard. Still really ridiculous in my opinion when I can get the information in other places for free.

I was partially mistaken. It is 10 dollars a year, not a month, in order to access their scoreboard. Still really ridiculous in my opinion when I can get the information in other places for free.

That’s ridiculous. Google will serve the same purpose

UK is now 0-2 on stolen base attempts. Pompey was gunned by a mile to end the inning.

Coleman now coming in to pitch for Kentucky as Sweet Caroline plays over the loud speakers!!

He is a redshirt freshman from Lexington. Throws from the right side. 6'2 kid gets a three pitch strikeout to start things off the bottom half of the seventh. Good looking freshman here.

Coleman got hit hard by the second batter, but Aklinski ran it down in deep center, and then Coleman battled back from being down 0-3 to get a strikeout. Very nicely done from the freshman.

Aklinski doing some good work here. Bounced one down the line and ran it out. Heck of a play by the Wofford third baseman to keep it from going into the outfield corner for what might have been a double or a triple.

Collette goes down on three straight swings. Something just doesn't look quite right with him. It is as though he doesn't seem ready to swing and is late when he does. Cottam then hit a hard one right up the middle, but the double play depth helped Wofford's short stop to get to the ball, step on second and throw on to first to end the top of the 8th.

Reactions: bradscats
Collette goes down on three straight swings. Something just doesn't look quite right with him. It is as though he doesn't seem ready to swing and is late when he does. Cottam then hit a hard one right up the middle, but the double play depth helped Wofford's short stop to get to the ball, step on second and throw on to first to end the top of the 8th.
Was thinking the same thing. Looks like I used to when I would crank up the pitching machine to 90 after having taken all previous swings at 70.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
Was thinking the same thing. Looks like I used to when I would crank up the pitching machine to 90 after having taken all previous swings at 70.

He looks very relaxed in the box and has a lot of movement in his bat, that waggle, but most hitters seem to stop the movement and get ready just before the pitch, but he never really did that. Just kept moving the bat head until he swung.

Coleman gets another strikeout to start the bottom half of the 8th. He, like Hjelle, is just throwing a lot of strikes up there. Strikes out the second hitter in the 8th as well! 4 in his first 5 hitters.

Any idea how hard he is throwing?

Not sure, but it looks strong. Interesting thing is that if you look at his bio on the roster then it doesn't seem that glowing and from reading it you wouldn't really predict that he'd be the first guy out of the bullpen on opening day.

Machamer (sp?).. I have full trust in him as a closer. That FB has fire coming off of it

Not sure, but it looks strong. Interesting thing is that if you look at his bio on the roster then it doesn't seem that glowing and from reading it you wouldn't really predict that he'd be the first guy out of the bullpen on opening day.
He looks to be throwing really well. Good opportunity to get some of the guys confidence early with the pen a man short.

Coleman walks one, but then sits the next one down with a strikeout. Saw a very nice offspeed pitch mixed in that sequence as well. Coleman could be a very nice surprise for us this season. Heck, almost everyone out of the bullpen will be a bit of a surprise. haha

Another new pitcher to face the Cats for what should be the last time on opening night. Johnson put one down the left field line and it looked fair from here at home, but the umpire with a better view called it foul. Johnson then looked at strike three for the first out. He has struck out twice today I believe. Squires then follows it up with a base hit through the hole on the left side. Heyer took an inside pitch and just about got it into left field on a liner, but the Wofford SS went upstairs and robbed him of a base hit.

Miss. State getting beat pretty badly by So. Miss 6-0 and South Carolina already went down to VMI. Everything else not too surprising in SEC play today.

Another new pitcher to face the Cats for what should be the last time on opening night. Johnson put one down the left field line and it looked fair from here at home, but the umpire with a better view called it foul. Johnson then looked at strike three for the first out. He has struck out twice today I believe. Squires then follows it up with a base hit through the hole on the left side. Heyer took an inside pitch and just about got it into left field on a liner, but the Wofford SS went upstairs and robbed him of a base hit.

Miss. State getting beat pretty badly by So. Miss 6-0 and South Carolina already went down to VMI. Everything else not too surprising in SEC play today.

Sweet. I know it’s baseball, but, I want the SEC to be crazy strong. I honestly believe this Kentucky team with the pitching, and hitting, could be the team to beat this year. I want everyone strong

Maley now coming on to finish this thing off for Kentucky. Maley has some good speed on that fastball, but we will see how he does here.

ADVERTISEMENT