ADVERTISEMENT

SEASON OPENER: UK vs. WOFFORD

Wofford follows up the walk with their first hit against Hjelle, a seeing eye grounder to right. Shinn was able to keep the runners to just one though.

Double steal for Wofford, but Hjelle man gets a strikeout and is one out away from getting out of this jam.

Double steal for Wofford. First jam of the season for Hjelle with runners on second and third. Now a big strikeout, two down.

Thank God the season started. The gap between football and baseball really takes a toll on me

Trey Dawson put a charge into one and had a good bead on it, but it is right at the left fielder. Bad luck on that one.

Too many strikeouts for Kentucky in this one. I think they have 7 after Pompey goes down on a full count.

Becker cranked one hitting lefty and hits it off the yellow part of the wall. It is the first non-home run and extra base hit for UK!

Trey Dawson put a charge into one and had a good bead on it, but it is right at the left fielder. Bad luck on that one.

Too many strikeouts for Kentucky in this one. I think they have 7 after Pompey goes down on a full count.

Becker cranked one hitting lefty and hits it off the yellow part of the wall. It is the first non-home run and extra base hit for UK!

Pompey is 1-3 with a HR and 2 SO. That’s acceptable if we can get the bats swinging from the rest of the lineup. But, I agree with too many SO

Welcome to UK baseball Ben Aklinski! Grounder up the middle scores Beck!

Pompey is 1-3 with a HR and 2 SO. That’s acceptable if we can get the bats swinging from the rest of the lineup. But, I agree with too many SO

Yep, just want to see a few more hits that aren't home runs. Of course, they get two of those this inning and add a run, so that is very good.

Reactions: Washed_Up2
Collette still seems to be pressing it a bit. He is making contact, but it isn't that hard. Still, it is a positive that he's getting the bat on the ball.

I just now noticed the pitch count on the game feed. Hjelle has about 54 and the Wofford pitcher is up over 80.

Reactions: TM2013
Might be the end of the day for the Wofford pitcher. Adam Scott is his name.

Shinn showing the glove on a dying quail that he somewhat shoelaces to get the third out. Very short and efficient inning for Hjelle.

End of 5: Kentucky 6, Wofford 0. Three up, three down for Hjelle. He's allowed one hit, one walk and struck out three in his 2018 debut.

Have the remember it is still just game one and we have been facing a pitcher known best for striking guys out. I think we will see a lot of improvement in that area.

Freshman Schwaner now coming on to pitch for Wofford. Scott leaves with 6 runs on 5 hits, all of the earned.

Have the remember it is still just game one and we have been facing a pitcher known best for striking guys out. I think we will see a lot of improvement in that area.

I agree and I’m telling myself that as well. But, we have seen teams continue swinging for the fences. Coach will get it worked out, first day jitters and our boys have done well minus the SO

Cottam with a single off the glove of the diving third baseman.

Ryan Johnson now coming in for Shinn.

I agree and I’m telling myself that as well. But, we have seen teams continue swinging for the fences. Coach will get it worked out, first day jitters and our boys have done well minus the SO

I don't think it is a huge deal either way. We've just got to find something to complain about. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Reactions: Washed_Up2
Knocked their starter out, Cottam greets the new guy with a single. Cats could really break it open now !!

Johnson got under it and popped it up. Swing looked pretty good though. Squires again squares to bunt and bunts it right back to the pitcher to move the runner. Not sure I like that call there.

Whew, I thought the Wofford left fielder might have hurt his knee on a sliding attempt to grab a Heyer foul ball. The foul territory in this stadium is pretty big. Heyer got rung up on a nasty off speed pitch that hit the corner.

D1baseball is now requiring $9.99 a month in order to see their freaking scoreboard?! Really?! Come on!

SEC score updates:

Arkansas - 11
Bucknell - 0
Bottom 7

Alabama - 16
Valpo - 2
Top 8

So. Carolina - 5
VMI - 7
Bottom 7

UGA - 5
Ga. Southern - 7
Bottom 5

Ole Miss - 6
Winthrop - 2
Top 7

Vanderbilt - 1
Duke - 1
Bottom 5

Miss St. - 0
So. Miss - 3
Bottom 6

Auburn - 1
Longwood - 0
Bottom 3

Tennessee - 0
Maryland - 0
Top 4

Florida - 0
Siena - 0
Bottom 2

Missouri, TAMU, and LSU all start later tonight.

ADVERTISEMENT