ADVERTISEMENT

Say we pay the buyout...

Maybe we should just pay 10M a year to bring in an “assistant” coach that calls all the shots.

Don’t fire Cal, but make him stand to the side and quietly hold a clipboard. That comes at a much lower cost than paying the buyout.

I’ve mentioned this and I doubt it’s on Mitch’s radar but Nash would be my wild card/high risk-high reward call if Stevens, Drew, Muss, Lloyd, Oats all say no.

He’s a HOFer so he’d get instant respect in any players house the second he walked in. Household name. And when you call you let him know the position is his if he’s be willing to run the “7 sec or less” Suns offensive system that he was the PG for in the early 2000s. (DAntoni system)

You could do a lot worse than Steve Nash on your sidelines especially if you were about to have to hire a retread old coach or a relatively non splash hire.

The other option is to call Pitino, tell him you’re only offering 1-2m a year, 5year max with a buyout option at 3) but what you can offer is worth more than money…a chance to go out on top, rewrite his ending…his come full circle redemption story…and retire in 5 years having redeemed his Kentucky legacy…Camelot. Basically you’d be offering him redemption and getting a good ROI financially to help eat Cals contract. And RP would drool at the thought of coming in and succeeding as an FU to Cal
l really like your thought process on this. And I like the idea of Pitino for the reasons you gave. Most people probably wouldn't though. It could turn out surprisingly well. I mean Pitino would have the desire to win, if only to show up Cal. As long as we win, I don't care. Except things must be done right...no rules violations, etc.

Who are we going to hire that would be worth paying that amount and that we could realistically afford to hire? A $48 million buyout plus another $15 - 20 million minimum for a contract for a good new coach is putting us near $70 million.

Realistically, who is worth that now that would be able to get the results we want?

I hear the names like Oats, Musselman and Lloyd, but none of them have won anything. 2 of those 3 have never been past the sw16, and I highly doubt Lloyd is leaving AZ.

Beard was a name that had some traction, but aside from maybe MMA coaching, he is obviously not getting hired anywhere anytime soon.

Some people seem keen on Scott Drew, but I don’t realistically see him leaving Baylor and he hasn't exactly been top notch either. Looking over his resume, outside of 2020, he hasn't been past the SW16 one other time since 2012. The only other time was in 2009. Going past the Sw16 3 times in 20 years isn't going to do it for most UK fans.

Occasionally you hear someone toss out Pitino's name, but I highly doubt that would ever legitimately be considered by the administration. Not to mention he isn't close to the coach he was in the 80's and 90's.

My thought isn't so much on keeping Cal as it is finding someone we can look at their resume and justify paying nearly $70 mil to make it happen. Because paying that and not getting any better results or potentially worse would be crippling to the program. Far more so than now.
Oats makes 3.4 million so I don't think you need to pay anywhere near $70million to find a capable replacement. Here's the deal...if you think this year's pressure is hot, what will it be next season with 4 of these 5 recruits "expecting" to only be here a few months getting paid handsomely and moving on. If OT and Wallace decide to come back that means you have 3 guys 6'3< expecting to start. CCC has created a monster that's eating him.

I’ve mentioned this and I doubt it’s on Mitch’s radar but Nash would be my wild card/high risk-high reward call if Stevens, Drew, Muss, Lloyd, Oats all say no.

He’s a HOFer so he’d get instant respect in any players house the second he walked in. Household name. And when you call you let him know the position is his if he’s be willing to run the “7 sec or less” Suns offensive system that he was the PG for in the early 2000s. (DAntoni system)

You could do a lot worse than Steve Nash on your sidelines especially if you were about to have to hire a retread old coach or a relatively non splash hire.

The other option is to call Pitino, tell him you’re only offering 1-2m a year, 5year max with a buyout option at 3) but what you can offer is worth more than money…a chance to go out on top, rewrite his ending…his come full circle redemption story…and retire in 5 years having redeemed his Kentucky legacy…Camelot. Basically you’d be offering him redemption and getting a good ROI financially to help eat Cals contract. And RP would drool at the thought of coming in and succeeding as an FU to Cal
I like how you think @EliteBlue !

what has he ever done to get a gig like UK? Sheesh.
Vogel is a UK grad that has coached as an assistant and head coach in the NBA for over 20 years, won an NBA championship, coached 2 NBA all star teams, is the Indiana Pacers all time leader in wins as a coach. Some guys that he has coaches in his career: Paul Pierce, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Paul George, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, etc. He would be an excellent coach for our program, IMO.

Who are we going to hire that would be worth paying that amount and that we could realistically afford to hire? A $48 million buyout plus another $15 - 20 million minimum for a contract for a good new coach is putting us near $70 million.

Realistically, who is worth that now that would be able to get the results we want?

I hear the names like Oats, Musselman and Lloyd, but none of them have won anything. 2 of those 3 have never been past the sw16, and I highly doubt Lloyd is leaving AZ.

Beard was a name that had some traction, but aside from maybe MMA coaching, he is obviously not getting hired anywhere anytime soon.

Some people seem keen on Scott Drew, but I don’t realistically see him leaving Baylor and he hasn't exactly been top notch either. Looking over his resume, outside of 2020, he hasn't been past the SW16 one other time since 2012. The only other time was in 2009. Going past the Sw16 3 times in 20 years isn't going to do it for most UK fans.

Occasionally you hear someone toss out Pitino's name, but I highly doubt that would ever legitimately be considered by the administration. Not to mention he isn't close to the coach he was in the 80's and 90's.

My thought isn't so much on keeping Cal as it is finding someone we can look at their resume and justify paying nearly $70 mil to make it happen. Because paying that and not getting any better results or potentially worse would be crippling to the program. Far more so than now.
You people are delusIonal if you think they are going to get rid of cal no matter if UK loses its next 10 games. UK is to money crazy to pay anything. And with a great recruiting class coming in it makes no sense. Grow up and wake up. If you are looking for real blame I say it’s NIL. Does anyone think NIL doesn’t motivate your opponent.

Could give you many reasons for him to be considered and have previously on this forum.
Vogel is a UK grad that has coached as an assistant and head coach in the NBA for over 20 years, won an NBA championship, coached 2 NBA all star teams, is the Indiana Pacers all time leader in wins as a coach. Some guys that he has coaches in his career: Paul Pierce, Allen Iverson, Chris Webber, Paul George, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Russell Westbrook, etc. He would be an excellent coach for our program, IMO.
Also known as an X and O guy and a teacher of fundamentals whose record exceeded the talent level of the teams he coached in the NBA, sans the Lakers. Vogel was on the JV team that Pitino started to get Nazr in shape and turn him into a basketball player. Was also a manager for the varsity team. Has been around the program, albeit 25 years ago, so he has seen the pressure placed upon the head coach. If I was doing the interview for the next coach, one of my questions would be how would he deal with the pressure that will be placed upon him 365 days a year. I am not saying Vogel should be the next coach, but I think he should get a call to gauge his interest.

Last edited:
You people are delusIonal if you think they are going to get rid of cal no matter if UK loses its next 10 games. UK is to money crazy to pay anything. And with a great recruiting class coming in it makes no sense. Grow up and wake up. If you are looking for real blame I say it’s NIL. Does anyone think NIL doesn’t motivate your opponent.
Unfortunately, you are probably correct. But the #1 recruiting class, which is very subjective, does not ensure a championship or even a successful season. Cal has had (6) #1 classes and the rest were top 5 and we have 1 Championship and another loss in the Championship game in his 13+ years on the job. We may not have any of this year's players back next season, so COW will have to go into the portal again. This would truly be a "new" team! Don't think this guy can win again because he cannot build a team which requires not only recruiting talent but also coaching them.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
You’re confusing him with his brother. Dan ain’t a Dukie.
Your right but I’m sure his brother Bobby would be around and just gives me Duke vibes but anyway I think there are better options

Bobby coaches too. Why would he be around?
Idk, they are brothers, if you like him it’s ok, I’ve been a fan since early 80’s. When I think of the Hurley name, I automatically think of Bobby Hurley and Christian Laetner. Maybe I need counseling 😂 anyway personally I would rather go a different route.

• Haha
I think Musselman takes the job.
Pearl used to want it, maybe still does.
Drew and Lloyd would at least take the phone call.

I’m not 100% sold on Oats, but I’ll take my chances. And I bet he takes the job.
Respectfully Muss isn’t leaving…his family is happy, he’s recruiting, winning, has a great boss, and we will pay whatever needs to be paid to keep him. That JB Hunt trucking money is long, and that’s their pet NIL project (Keeping Muss funded/happy). No disrespect intended…

• Haha
Idk, they are brothers, if you like him it’s ok, I’ve been a fan since early 80’s. When I think of the Hurley name, I automatically think of Bobby Hurley and Christian Laetner. Maybe I need counseling 😂 anyway personally I would rather go a different route.
I'm not a big fan of Bobby either. I just think Dan with his pedigree would kill it here.

I've said this before and it similar to what others have posted, but if we buy Cal out or he goes to Texas, this should be Mitch's game plan

1 - Call Brad Stevens and Billy Donovan. Offer them $10/mil a year to come back to college. Don't think either bites and I hate the idea of asking Billy D a third time, but make them say no to that kind of money first

2 - Have another list of Musselman, Oates, Lloyd, and Few. Offer them in the $5-$7 range and see who wants it more. I personally think this is where our search would end.

3 - Next list is Drew (maybe move him up to #2), Vogel, and maybe Hurley. Give them a chance as all can coach. Probably some others waiting to move up to Power 5 I missed could go here as well.

4 - In a bit of panic mode here, but I like what @EliteBlue said about Nash or the Pitino redemption arc

Reactions: EliteBlue

Cal doesn't deserve a nickel ... nothing. Find a way to force him out for breach, non-performance, cause. He stopped putting UK first after he was inducted into the HOF. Just quit on UK and made it about NBA showcase, first and only, at a wholesale level. This to make himself out to be something that he's not. SAT Narcissist.

usa_today_10763743.0.jpg

Reactions: EliteBlue
Coach Casey would jump at that chance. It won't happen though.

At least we can be comfortable knowing it won't be a Cal disciple. We went through that with Pitino and I'm not sure any of the mentioned at the time even came out as a terrific coach.

Mitch is going to make a safe move if he makes any move IMO.

Any payoff of Calipari that negatively impacts the school should be a no go.

I would term that what we call a resume updating event for Mitch Barnhart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT