ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Night Games Thread

I think I really want to see a UCONN Purdue title game I want to see the 2 monsters going at it
Purdue definitely looks like the only team who could possibly challenge them at the moment. Edey vs. Clingan would be quite the individual matchup.

Reactions: Lempface
Nope! Destroy them. That team deserves to have their assets handed to them. Karma.

My slight worry was that we saw Illini commit two fouls out of frustration and one was a somewhat dangerous foul on Clingan. And uconn can't lose him.

This was such a slapping that you could tell Illini players were getting pissed off, and not in a good way.

Purdue definitely looks like the only team who could possibly challenge them at the moment. Edey vs. Clingan would be quite the individual matchup.
I really hope I don't have to cheer for Purdue... Absolute phonies IMO. Edey gets the most kind whistle in the game. They win on attrition and FTs. But if it's vs UConn go Big Ziti.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
How does UConn stockpile on quick/sizable guards every year? Where do they find these guys? I don’t keep up with UConn recruiting

How does UConn stockpile on quick/sizable guards every year? Where do they find these guys? I don’t keep up with UConn recruiting
I don't know, but if I was going to approach recruiting, I'd bring in guys that have little NBA upside and bring them along with the best proven Xfers I could get each year. Don't need guys that can compete with NBA quality talent, don't need guys that project to be NBA All-stars to compete in college, they won't be that good in the 1 year they play for you.

Edit at least until a culture is developed that retains players. Then maybe add in some of the best freshmen you can get, 1 or 2 a year.

Reactions: darkshadesofblue
My slight worry was that we saw Illini commit two fouls out of frustration and one was a somewhat dangerous foul on Clingan. And uconn can't lose him.

This was such a slapping that you could tell Illini players were getting pissed off, and not in a good way.
No doubt they’re punks for that. Just not a huge fan of one of their players.

I don't know, but if I was going to approach recruiting, I'd bring in guys that have little NBA upside and bring them along with the best proven Xfers I could get each year. Don't need guys that can compete with NBA quality talent, don't need guys that project to be NBA All-stars to compete in college, they won't be that good in the 1 year they play for you.

Edit at least until a culture is developed that retains players. Then maybe add in some of the best freshmen you can get, 1 or 2 a year.
Agreed, start bringing in more 3/4 star developmental guys. Maybe a couple 5s sprinkled in, reverse of what we’re doing now.

Reactions: Lempface
Agreed, start bringing in more 3/4 star developmental guys. Maybe a couple 5s sprinkled in, reverse of what we’re doing now.
Unfortunately, player development is not something Cal is very good at.

Player development takes a lot of individual work by the player who wants to get better and a coaching staff willing to spend the time in the gym to help that player. (Think Rick Pitino's staff required individual workouts with every player).

Cal isn't going to spend his time doing that and obviously neither is his staff.

Recruiting 5 star freshmen gives Cal an ongoing excuse to NOT build a roster along with not having to work hard on player improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
I really hope I don't have to cheer for Purdue... Absolute phonies IMO. Edey gets the most kind whistle in the game. They win on attrition and FTs. But if it's vs UConn go Big Ziti.
Big 10 is a fraud this year.

I don't think Purdue beats UT.

Looks like Clemson is going to be allowed to foul nonstop. This is the kind of officiating that’s usually Bama’s kryptonite, unfortunately.

Only thing about Hurley is last year was his first time in the sweet 16. Many thought if he didn't make it out of the first weekend last year he been fired as the coach....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT