ADVERTISEMENT

Sahvir Wheeler’s mature response to being relegated to role player

He’s had plenty of time to think about what he was going to say during the games.

What a horrendous take on Wheeler, and OP’s post. You’re just plan ignorant or dumb to make that post. OP trying to give a pat on the back and you just cut Wheelers throat OMG. How do you live with yourself? Terrible take hating on a player. Why do you our players and UK? Are you a troll, or just a mean, heartless person?
Nah...thanks for the concern though. Don't really care what you think dude. I 100% stand by my post.

Well, he could have gone a different direction with his answer. He didn't have to praise the guys who have been playing. He could have said, "it's been tough but I'm adjusting." Or something similar- he could have made it about himself or tried to get some sympathy. I think most people would have taken the opportunity to make their case or at least play for sympathy, but he did neither. So, it is commendable, in my opinion.

And this team needs Wheeler to be ok with his more limited role in order to be good. It's easy for us to say "suck it up and deal with it" but Wheeler is a Senior leader on this team and if he's frustrated, it will affect the entire team. So, his play last night and this post-game interview tell me he's got his head right and he's ready to move forward. And you could see it in the way the team played last night- knowing Wheeler is fine, the team is fine, too.
He played really good last night.

While I commend Wheeler for saying all the right things, in reality, what else is he going to say?

That he is a better option to start at point over Wallace? All the stats and evidence points to the contrary.

It is just common sense what he is saying. It's nice to hear him say it, but again, what else would one expect him to say?
SMFH!

Just because he doesn't have a very good jump shot doesn't mean he's a bad kid. People need to distinguish between the two. It's not his fault that he doesn't have the capability of spreading the floor. He played good last night and helped us win. Other times his limitations hurt us. It's basketball related and nothing to do with the kids character. Cal recruited a kid with some skill limitations that doesn't translate in today's game. Nobody should bash the kid like he is intentionally wanting to hurt the team.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I think it would be reasonable to be pissed. It is also possible to make underhanded comments about being benched. But, Wheeler seems fine and is publicly supportive of the team.

Its ok to not like Wheeler as the PG...yet applaud him when he acts and says the right thing
Exactly.

Anyone who takes issue with Sahvir Wheeler the person is an overreaching jerk. The player, however, is fair game. His diminished minutes is one of the main reasons why we are winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT