ADVERTISEMENT

Saddest movie ever

Blue Valentine
I watched that when it first came out about 13 years ago. I remembered it being a downer. Watched it again on HBO a few months ago and it's just so damn depressing all around. Dead dog, raising kid that's not yours, wife hates you, gets the wife fired, and gets left. The movie ends on that note.

Also based on a true story. The opening scene of Antietam is reminiscent of Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan.
And the end of Saving Private Ryan as well. The only sound in the sold out theater was the muffled sobs of several people as everyone quietly filed out.

Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Dog follows his owner to the commuter train every day and is there waiting for him when he comes back each day from work. The owner dies at work. Then it follows the dog who obviously doesn't know what happened to his owner.

If you love dogs, do NOT watch this movie. Dang it was sad.
I went to his statue in Tokyo . Tear jerker movie.

The Zone of Interest is another sad, depressing Holocaust movie. It's subtitled, but well worth watching. It follows the daily life of Auschwitz Commander Rudolph Hoss and his family, who lived right outside the camp walls. It's a combination of sad, disturbing and disgusting as these people merrily went on with their daily lives knowing the horrors that were happening on the other side of that wall in their backyard.

Transformers the movie 1986.

I was like 8 or 9 and they killed Optimus in the opening act. I was devastated. That whole movie was some serious violence and death. Some pretty dramatic crap for young me. But it was the 80s. They had balls back then. We all did. It was rated PG or R. no in-between. R usually meant you were going to see a boob.

Dude, put that in a “spoiler” for those of us who haven’t seen the movie yet.

In my experience my saddest movies ever are:
Shindlers List
The Champ
The Green Mile
Philadelphia
The Pianist
It's a Wonderful Life

I'm sure there's more I can't think of at the moment. I cried at all those listed and not ashamed to say I did.

Reactions: JDHoss
Hachi: A Dog's Tale

Dog follows his owner to the commuter train every day and is there waiting for him when he comes back each day from work. The owner dies at work. Then it follows the dog who obviously doesn't know what happened to his owner.

If you love dogs, do NOT watch this movie. Dang it was sad.
Forgot that one. Based on a true story. Dog movies get me big time. My Dog Skip and Marley and Me I can hardly hold it together.

Robert Redford's directorial debut which won best picture and screenplay in 1980.

Mr. Jones about the Holodomor in Ukraine in the 1930's. Stalin purposely murdered close to 4 million people via starvation and covered it up. Many were forced to become cannibals in order to survive.

Last edited:
I put some real thought into this one. And after a long, hard debate, I will go with Friday The 13th. I mean so many innocent lives were lost, simply because they wanted to go party at Camp Crystal Lake and get it on with their boyfriend / girlfriend. Jason Vorhees should rot in eternal hell for the terrible acts he did to those poor, innocent campers. It doesn't get much sadder than the reckless taking of human life. I think we all would have been better off if he had really drowned in the lake. Such a travesty that could have been adverted.

Last edited:
Arnold Schwarzenegger Reaction GIF

The Never Ending Story has haunted me since they showed it to us in Kindergarten. I refuse to ever watch that movie again.

Reactions: J_Dee
So many but nothing tops Schindler’s List. That movie was infuriating and terribly sad.

Others;
Brian’s Song
Love Story
Glory
United 93
Green Mile

Talking about emotion....unsolved mysteries was definitely up there too. The music, imagery, and robert stack's delivery had me scared of aliens, bermuda triangle, and random serial killers looking in my window.
Show scared the shit out of me

Talking about emotion....unsolved mysteries was definitely up there too. The music, imagery, and robert stack's delivery had me scared of aliens, bermuda triangle, and random serial killers looking in my window.
He was great as the voice of Ultra Magnus.

That after school special/movie about the suburban little white kid that contracted aids from a blood transfusion in the 80s. Ryan I think. That was some effed up crap. Smacked middle class white America in the face. Thought they were immune to that. It was some messed up stuff that kid had to go thru before he died.

I remember taking our kiddo to the children's museum in indy several yrs ago and they had a room set up in there as a replica of his bedroom. Was some weird shit to be in. I had completely forgot about that until the museum.

Reactions: J_Dee
Requiem For a Dream gets my vote, but Skammen's pretty close. Been a while since I've seen either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT