ADVERTISEMENT

Runt's (now, almost-famous) Yearly pre-season College Basketball top 5 Culinary Delights !

runt#69

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2010
Maricopa, AZ.
OK, I think this is like year 3 or 4 for me doing this. I tried to come up with some good dishes that should reflect what we have in store for the season. I'm sure you'll want me to expand (as I usually do) and come up with clever kibble and bit sound bite dishes for the bad and UGLY teams (last year, after I started this for the top 5 good teams, I had requests to do a Bad & the Ugly cuisine previews for some other teams....)

So without further ado, here goes.
(Egads !!! Now that I've built up the hype on this , this thread had better be GOOD ! LOL)

#5 - Gonzaga Goulash
Apparently, up in Spokane, things are good in mid-major land. I never knew that Mark Few would EVER EVER EVER have that school make 7, most likely 8 (from 2009 to the present) NCAA tournaments. Must be something they're feeding everyone from the staff to the coaches and players and it must be something good!

Start with Domantas Sabonis and Przemek Karnowski browned ground chuck (80/20 split, not the ground beef. That's for weaker and lesser goulash NCAAT teams...)

Add the Byron Wesley Onions and Gary "Bell Pepper" to go with the HOT TOMATO ex-UK Kyle Wiltjer, and they may just get over the hump and finally make it past critics (myself included) and nab that Final Four spot this year. Hey - even I'm going to put aside my macaroni al dente, drained, and rinsed to get rid of all that old-man "get off my porch" attitude towards mid-majors and the Zags' specifically. Serve it up hot, even better re-heated this year (because I was impressed with at least one half of how they played Duke last year in the tourney.

Bottom line : The Zags are an easy, cheap and comfort college hoops food all rolled into one huge pot! (It is always called American Chop Suey here, but while I was living in LA friends called it Goulash - so I've compromised!)

And so, I present to you Gonzaga Goulash to be on the dinner plate soon !

#4 - "Overrated Maryland Deep Fried Terrapin turtle bits Turtle Soup !"

Although terrapin soup is sworn by many to be a excellent survival dish, I'm betting this dish is over-cooked and will be a flat out monstrously overrated meal by seasons' end. They're in the Big Ten and I think Michigan State will once again emerge victorious in the end, and hell, even IU might be enough to knock the Maryland terrapins down a notch or two from all the pre-season hype.

Rub yolks of McDonald's All-American Duke reject Rasheed Sulaimon eggs and butter and flour together. Put on "Jelly Jake Laymar" to cook, and as soon as he boils, add egg mixture, also Georgia Tech "lemon" transfer Robert Carter and some Diamond Stone nutmeg.

Then put in Melo Trimble deep fried Terrapin eggs and meat, and last of all, the cream and wine, and be careful not to let curdle or burn. ( we can expect Maryland Coach Mark Turgeon to burn it by season's end)
Add chopped whites of eggs during the BigTen Tournament, always have enough hot milk to thin out if it is too thick.

But to prepare the terrapin before making the NCAA tournament soup is another story.

In case you do have to do it yourself, here is the approved method that will slay the mighty turtle :

Cut off the Melo Trimble turtle head, of course! Dip in boiling water for a short time, and carefully pull off outer skin from feet, and all that will come off the back. With a sharp hatchet cut open the terrapin, and take out the eggs, and put aside in cold water. Throw away entrails and gall bladder, saving the liver which are very much liked. Leave both legs on the back and put on to boil .... Put into about 50 gallon bucket of water with salt and onion and let simmer or steam (not boil) about 45 minutes. When tender take the melo meat from back and remove bones. Cook meat a little more if not tender enough. Cut up meat across the grain to prevent stringing and set stock aside to jelly.

Then forget it for a few hours during the NCAA selection committee's selection show (if you can) and when the party is imminent, proceed as above.

Read more at http://ifood.tv/stew/196849-habershams-terrapin-stew#cO1ISCrH3PGvh9u4.99

I know it's all a little brutal, but ... we'll see how it "pans out" (pun intended)

#3 - Coach Roy and Paula Deen team up to whip up some "UNC Cheater's Fries with Cajun Seasoning"

Ingredients : 3 large Kennedy Meeks, Bruce Johnson, and Theo Pinson russet potatoes, 3 tablespoons Kenny Williams olive oil, add in some (currently wounded duck) Marcus Paige Cajun seasoning. Finally some bench warmers good to sacrifice in case of blowout, or the thanksgiving crowd at Dean Smith Dome doesn't like what they're seeing Salt ....

And there you have it.

One thing's for sure, Coach Cryin' Roy will surely have Paula Deen thrown out for having a part and hand in the www.episcopalcafe.com/tag/paula-deen/ website. ( or aren;t you not paying attention to those things anymore? With all the other scandals going on there, I can forgive you if you forgot!)

As for the ultimate success for the Cheatin Fries? I'm doubtful their Karma will hold up for them to actually claim the national title for best dish, with it just being some stinkin' home-fried cooking mess of a thing they've thrown together there this year.

Read more at: http://origin-foodnetwork.sndimg.co...-with-cajun-seasoning-recipe.html?oc=linkback

#1 (a.) - Coach K and Duke with a "Stuffed mushroom and cabbage Uzka" dumpling dinner...

These little dumplings are meant for Coach K's amazing borscht, but I like them in a clear broth for this years' Coach K polish concoction. This recipe is from his "Polish Classic Recipes" a fun book that updates the classics with it being carefully edited to remove the nasty, dirty mouth and angry stares he has on the sidelines - to make it look good for the masses, of course!

As for this year's dish ? I suspect they may be there (once again, curses!) at the end as a 1a. - type of selection (for you horse racing form guru's out there that like to take pre-season bets).

Filling: Melted smooth as butter Grayson Allen in a large skillet. Add the Amile Jefferson onion and saute until translucent. Add the chopped Matt Jones mushrooms and cook an additional 10 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until the liquid from the mushroom head of Rat-face has evaporated and the mixture starts to sizzle (usually only at Cameron Indoor).

Put the onion and mushroom mix in a large bowl. Add the Semi Ojeleye breadcrumbs, parsley and beaten egg mixture. Season with Brandon Ingram salt and Brendan Besser pepper, to taste.Mix everything together to form a firm Luke Kennard paste. Allow the paste to cool slightly before filling the Marshall Plumlee dumplings. The filling can be made 24 hrs ahead of time. But with it being a Plumlee dumpling base, watch out for his parents in the stands. (hopefully it won't coincide with a night one of his brothers are messing up in the NBA).

Dough and Dumplings : I'm not going into the messy steps of describing how the dough is made for the Marshall Plumlee dumplings. You'll have to get a Duke fan to get you past that nausea.

In the end, most likely after Coach K whines and Bitches to get Duke back to another Final Four so everyone can now bow at his feet and kiss his ring like the pope, he'll drain that Final Four game down, place a few pockets in each soup bowl and fill it with his hot borscht or broth.

Let's hope it isn't enough for him to cut the nets down this year....

#1 - Coach John Calipari and his Tupperware container holding a fresh nice ....

Kentucky Bluegrass Bibb Lettuce SALAD with Bourbon Vinaigrette !

Shocked you with this year's choice, haven't I? Thank Mrs. Calipari for fixing this up for John when he's out on the road and flying all over to nab recruits. She makes him bring that tupperware back, too. (Just ask Coach)

1 1/2 cups mini Tyler Ulis pecan halves and pieces, 2 tablespoons smooth as silk and future #1 NBA draft pick Skal Labissière butter, melted .... 3 tablespoons light brown Alex Poythress sugar. 1/8 teaspoon ground Marcus Lee red pepper, 6 Isaiah Briscoe bacon slices, cooked and crumbled, 8 cups torn Charles Matthews Bibb lettuce (2 to 3 medium heads - usually after taken from the opposition) - 4 cups trimmed Jamal Murray watercress, 4 large EJ Floreal peaches, peeled and sliced, 1 small red Dominique Hawkins onion, halved and thinly sliced, 4 ounces Derek Willis Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled after hitting another three.
Be sure not to forget the victorious Johnny David and Dillon Pulliam Country Ham Corn Cakes, Last but not least, add on top some Isaac Humphries Bourbon Vinaigrette.

Michael Mulder will be there to give some zest to the final presentation when we win.

Chef Cal has a simple, easy to build salad that will (when we look back on it) be an amazing thing he just whipped up at the last minute when we all thought the recruiting dish started off slow and we were worrying that we wouldn't win it all this year.

Coach Cal gets us title number nine this year, have faith!

Now I'm hungry for some College Hoops, How 'bout you?

Reactions: GG24
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT