ADVERTISEMENT

Running off Cal

Didn't someone in the media say we were racist and firing Tubby would set us back 10 years? We didn't even fire him. He was job hunting during the season. He knew it was time to go and did what needed to be done. Cal is at that same point, but that contract keeps him from thinking straight and doing the honorable thing. I guess money is more important than his legacy.
I think it was Dick Vitale.

Reactions: blubo and yoshukai
I am not defending Cal and hate this as much as anyone. All I’m saying is after tubby we got Billy Clyde. If this isn’t handled the right way which I’m not sure Barnhart can do it could get ugly for several years and I absolutely hate this.
If this keeps going how it is now, Ole Mitch will be shown the door with Cal once that HORRIBLE contract runs its course. Mitch is the VERY REASON we are stuck with no way out of this other than Cal deciding to quit, fixing it or running the thing out and just continuing to take the heat.

At this point, teams with NO NBA players are kicking our butts!!!! So what doe sit matter in today's game whether we get future NBA players now?????

The One-and-Done now is NOTHING like it was even 10 years ago. The kids that come here now don't get better until they reach the NBA. Here they are very pedestrian.

I will tell you this, most of the former players that played before Cal's arrival are DONE with how Cal is running the program!!! Sam Bowie's comments about it will be "Totally on Cal if we don't win the National Championship" was not a joke.

So, at this point even our former UK players under Cal aren't happy with how low the program has fallen.

To be honest with as many nba players as Cal has I’m afraid if we run him out of town it could hurt us for years to come. We are in a no win situation literally.
Wait….what? What do you mean? Those guys are gone so who cares about them? Or was this satire?

And for the record I am not a Cal defender at all. I think his failure to do anything different on defense, his stubbornness, and horrible substitution patterns, the list could go on and on. I was simply pointing out I think it will have an effect on whoever replaces him to recruit because of the influence and loyalty of all the nba guys. Not sure why people can’t simply have a discussion without name calling. It’s a no win situation. In that regard. And my literally I was referring to if he stayed no wins either.
I think Sam Bowie gave us all a hint of what the thinking among the NBA alums happens to be. These guys aren't blind to what Cal is doing but they are careful not to lob grenades into an already sensitive situation.

I believe the transfer portal would lessen that effect. We wouldn’t get as many sure fire nba players but I don’t a crap about that. The one thing I do wonder though, our basketball teams NIL is funded by former players and our football team has had massive problems getting enough NIL to compete for top players. I suspect our former players would stop funding our basketball nil . So that could be a problem.
That is actually the root of the problem. OAD is rotten at its core for so many reasons. John Calipari isn't the identity of what UK Basketball is all about. These former OAD players who are only loyal to Calipari and not UK can keep their money. Those types of players are the result of Wholesale OAD. OAD was embraced by Calipari to serve the ego of Calipari. It's a sickness and has deeply infected this Program and it has to end. That end and cure will probably not be easy to watch. It has to be done and Cal has to go.

That is actually the root of the problem. OAD is rotten at its core for so many reasons. John Calipari isn't the identity of what UK Basketball is all about. These former OAD players who are only loyal to Calipari and not UK can keep their money. Those types of players are the result of Wholesale OAD. OAD was embraced by Calipari to serve the ego of Calipari. It's a sickness and has deeply infected this Program and it has to end. That end and cure will probably not be easy to watch. It has to be done and Cal has to go.
I agree 100%.

Anybody thinks that Cal is going somewhere has mental problems he is the only coach in America that is making millions and can still lose not worry about being fired.

the die hards are dying off and being replaced with the participation trophy generations. There’s no will to do what it takes for change,
I think you scratched the surface of a big issue that affects UK sports in general.
UK fans in their 70's and 80's were much more die hard in their younger years.
When they are gone they won't be replaced.
Today's youth will never have that zeal.

To be honest with as many nba players as Cal has I’m afraid if we run him out of town it could hurt us for years to come. We are in a no win situation literally.
So you mean like pay a HOF coach something like $25,000 a day EVERY day of his life and loose.
$25,000 a day every day of his life to middle of the pack in the conference he coaches in.
Dude he makes more in a week than most married couples combined incomes.
I wish mine and everyone on this board could make money like that to underachieve.
But wait it may hurt us worse…. Like you stated…..
Just a little note Cal made $25,000 today.

• Sad
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
When Calipari took Dillingham out right after putting him in and catching instant fire, I looked at my Wife and said, “That MF’r just gave the fans, the administration, and his own players, the ultimate middle finger! He’s going to try to get fired on purpose to collect that contract money!”

There was absolutely no explanation for him to pull Dillingham other than that very obvious reason.

When Calipari took Dillingham out right after putting him in and catching instant fire, I looked at my Wife and said, “That MF’r just gave the fans, the administration, and his own players, the ultimate middle finger! He’s going to try to get fired on purpose to collect that contract money!”

There was absolutely no explanation for him to pull Dillingham other than that very obvious reason.
I kinda thought the same when he came out but I don't think it had any impact on the out come.
Rob remained hot and we can't beat a team like UT with him playing 40 min.
He has to sub him some.

It's all about the money now. We aren't gonna have a bunch of Hoosier like players ever again who come here just for the name on the front.

I think our fanbase is delusional if they think that. Are Sheppard and perry playing for free? No, they are playing for NIL and money. And Shep is probably a one and done too at this point. I'm curious how he is remembered if that happens. I assume he will be given preferential treatment in his post UK coverage because if his dad and where he is from. He is no different than the rest of them though.

The only way we win big again is to pay the right group of players a lot of money to stay 3 to 4 years. We need a coach that can scout and actually build a complete offensive and defensive team to do that though and we don't have that.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
I believe the transfer portal would lessen that effect. We wouldn’t get as many sure fire nba players but I don’t a crap about that. The one thing I do wonder though, our basketball teams NIL is funded by former players and our football team has had massive problems getting enough NIL to compete for top players. I suspect our former players would stop funding our basketball nil . So that could be a problem.
But many of our sure fire players cannot compete against older stronger more experienced players and they are gone after one year. They simply use us and cannot win championships.

Reactions: yoshukai
But many of our sure fire players cannot compete against older stronger more experienced players and they are gone after one year. They simply use us and cannot win championships.
There will be another shift after the 24-25 season.
For 80-90%,this will be the last super senior(covid) year.
To be a SS in 25-26, you would have had to played the covid year plus medical redshirted another year.
This is a big reason I hope Jasper Johnson stays '25.
He'll be a year older and be set up to have a bigger impact with very few SS's left in the game.

The dude needed a breather. He went right back in.

Reactions: ukcatz12
I am not defending Cal and hate this as much as anyone. All I’m saying is after tubby we got Billy Clyde. If this isn’t handled the right way which I’m not sure Barnhart can do it could get ugly for several years and I absolutely hate this.
Because Brainfart made the hire...he needs to be 86ed as well...

NybAhJM.jpeg

Everyone of note has a certain % of OAD’s and it isn’t going away . Coach K rejuvenated his career after embracing it and becoming the king of it. Honestly , the best thing to do is let the lottery picks be OAD ( and take as many as you can ) , but try to keep the fringe first rounders that are excellent college players ( like Oscar) here for 2 years with NIL …then using the portal to round out the roster . All top teams have tons of roster turnover every yr …you just have to get the right mix and coach them up

I agree . We aren’t winning anything as long as what’s left of John Calipari is roaming our sidelines anyway.

Why doesn’t anyone talk about how much is left on Cal’s contract?
is that the bottom line here?

This has got to be the lowest T-count statement of the night. In a night of agony and strained opinions you somehow raised the bar and wrote something completely limp and shriveled.
Not low T to recognize that allowing mitch to hire cal’s replacement only prolongs our agony.

It's all about the money now. We aren't gonna have a bunch of Hoosier like players ever again who come here just for the name on the front.

I think our fanbase is delusional if they think that. Are Sheppard and perry playing for free? No, they are playing for NIL and money. And Shep is probably a one and done too at this point. I'm curious how he is remembered if that happens. I assume he will be given preferential treatment in his post UK coverage because if his dad and where he is from. He is no different than the rest of them though.
This is pretty accurate and it’s what a lot of older fans don’t understand. Cal probably leaned too hard into OAD and it’s gotten away from him and created a bad culture within the program, but every player these days is a mercenary to a small degree.

Unless it’s a kid like Reed, the name Kentucky just doesn't attract recruits. Kids born in 2006 could not care less about what this program did in the ‘90s or earlier. They care about what the program will do for them.

The only way we win big again is to pay the right group of players a lot of money to stay 3 to 4 years. We need a coach that can scout and actually build a complete offensive and defensive team to do that though and we don't have that.
Why would Reed leave. I don’t see that happening at all. I don’t think money is his motivation.

Be willing to bet his top goal would be to be the MOP in a title year. Just like his dad.

Probably right about not finding players today that are willing to play for the name on the jersey; that's why it's imperative to have a coach who's coaching for it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT