ADVERTISEMENT

Round Table: How much does Bagley's choice change the college hoops landscape?

Devil's advocate: the reason it may be different this year is you wouldn't expect the greatest or second greatest coach in college hoops history to have two teams fall apart in back to back years.

Aside from 2010 & 2015 Coach K is surviving on perception from dominance in the 1990's. From 1986-99:
-they advanced past the sweet 16, 9 times.

-8 final 4's

-2 national championships.

Those years created the aurora around Duke/Coach K.

From 2000-17:

-advanced past sweet 16 only 5 times

-Of those 5 seasons went onto 4 final 4's

-and of those 4, 3 titles (2010, 2015 were skewed in my opinion because of easy path)

So...the 1990's & Team USA are the main reasons

Last edited:
http://www.sctimes.com/story/obert-blog/2014/03/19/corona-bagley-dynasty/6621901/?showmenu=true

"Bagley's father, Marvin Jr., said in a text message Wednesday that his son will enroll at Corona del Sol to start his high school career in the summer."

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete...be-determined-schools-nontraditional-calendar

"How will the start of the seventh semester be determined for schools on a nontraditional calendar?
Future student-athlete frequently asked questions

Answer:
The start of the seventh semester (or the equivalent) will be based on three calendar years from initial enrollment in grade nine."

I did a little digging today and this is what I came up with regarding core course completion: Bagley may have started high school in May or June 2014. If this is the case, he will have needed to complete the 10 core classes within three years of his start date. This means he cannot be taking any of those classes now and be eligible under the rules this fall. He would have to be taking only the other 6 core courses.

However, he could get a waiver. My guess is he would get one on this issue.

I still find it quite hard to believe he is going to be able to complete the coursework in time considering his school changing history and the fact that he has maintained a full summer basketball schedule of AAU events and that pro-Am L.A. league and also took the time to complete three official visits. It just seems far fetched.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/obert-blog/2014/03/19/corona-bagley-dynasty/6621901/?showmenu=true

"Bagley's father, Marvin Jr., said in a text message Wednesday that his son will enroll at Corona del Sol to start his high school career in the summer."

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete...be-determined-schools-nontraditional-calendar

"How will the start of the seventh semester be determined for schools on a nontraditional calendar?
Future student-athlete frequently asked questions

Answer:
The start of the seventh semester (or the equivalent) will be based on three calendar years from initial enrollment in grade nine."

I did a little digging today and this is what I came up with regarding core course completion: Bagley may have started high school in May or June 2014. If this is the case, he will have needed to complete the 10 core classes within three years of his start date. This means he cannot be taking any of those classes now and be eligible under the rules this fall. He would have to be taking only the other 6 core courses.

However, he could get a waiver. My guess is he would get one on this issue.

I still find it quite hard to believe he is going to be able to complete the coursework in time considering his school changing history and the fact that he has maintained a full summer basketball schedule of AAU events and that pro-Am L.A. league and also took the time to complete three official visits. It just seems far fetched.

It does not matter. Say what you want but it's Duke & they indeed get favors. NCAA will clear him in a heartbeat then go punish someone else.

Aside from 2010 & 2015 Coach K is surviving on perception from dominance in the 1990's. From 1986-99:
-they advanced past the sweet 16, 9 times.

-8 final 4's

-2 national championships.

Those years created the aurora around Duke/Coach K.

From 2000-17:

-advanced past sweet 16 only 5 times

-Of those 5 seasons went onto 4 final 4's

-and of those 4, 3 titles (2010, 2015 were skewed in my opinion because of easy path)

So...the 1990's & Team USA are the main reasons

And how many coaches can say they won the same amount of titles as K during this so called down period you speak of ? How many have won that amount of titles in their entire career during that down period? Who cares about the S16.

Everyone would trade a bunch of S16 losses for 3 titles!!! 3 extra titles for a so called time of failed winning perception!! Championships are hard no matter what kind of talent you have.

Last edited:
And how many coaches can say they won the same amount of titles as K during this so called down period you speak of ? How many have won that amount of titles in their entire career during that down period? Who cares about the S16.

Everyone would trade a bunch of S16 losses for 3 titles!!! 3 extra titles for a so called time of failed winning perception!! Championships are hard no matter what kind of talent you have.

Like I said...the road Duke had in 2010 & 2015 was an absolute joke!

BTW, let's remember that Coach K is closing in on 40 seasons at Duke. Duke has had more Mcdonalds all-americans than any mens college basketball team in NCAA history. He should have titles.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210765711

If Calipari were to be able to coach 38 seasons at UK I think he would have a shot at 5 titles

Last edited:
Normally I would say pukes glaring weakness is no ahooters or bench. Since the refs don't call fouls on puke they won't have to worry about a lack of depth. I hope bolden enjoys his time on the bench this year. Good thing he's set for life

Normally I would say pukes glaring weakness is no ahooters or bench. Since the refs don't call fouls on puke they won't have to worry about a lack of depth. I hope bolden enjoys his time on the bench this year. Good thing he's set for life
I agree with part of this. I have a feeling they're going to get even more calls than usual this year for some reason, guess because of the hype since getting Bagley and seeing UNC last year in the tournament get every call down the stretch in close games. If Allen and Duval are protected by officials in anyway then their biggest weakness won't be as glaring.

Once again- while the media would have you believe Duke contends every year, they do not. They have largely been boom or bust in March. Two fortunate titles, but only one other E8 since '05.

So, expecting Duke to underperform isn't really a stretch.

How was it an anomaly? They have advanced past the Sweet 16 3x in 13 years. Don't let the perception fool you.

Some of you act like they're just now recruiting well in Durham.

Anomaly in the sense that all those hurdles and road blocks won't happen again. Obviously they struggle in the tournament. It's great to watch. I'm just saying, people are dogging them for last years flameout.. It could have been a much different scenario had their not been all those issues. There's a real good chance Duke wins the title last year if Allen and Coach K weren't such turds..

As far as recruiting, they really ramped it up in recent years, with monster classes the last few.

Anomaly in the sense that all those hurdles and road blocks won't happen again. Obviously they struggle in the tournament. It's great to watch. I'm just saying, people are dogging them for last years flameout.. It could have been a much different scenario had their not been all those issues. There's a real good chance Duke wins the title last year if Allen and Coach K weren't such turds..

As far as recruiting, they really ramped it up in recent years, with monster classes the last few.

Umm, Allen is back and the leader of the team.

Their biggest issue was defense- how will that improve?

They have always been loaded. Sure now they're more OAD-loaded but I don't think K is as good at coaching freshmen as Cal. In fact, I think they struggle again.

They very well could. I'm certainly not crowning them yet, because a lot can happen. What worries me is that on the spectrum of teams getting bailed out by the Refs/NCAA, they are the polar opposites of Kentucky. We get hamstrung while they get helped. So when Duke has a loaded team, PLUS the usual BS, it's going to at least grab my attention.

Allen *appears* to have gotten over his issues. A fair portion of that was when Coach K was out: another weird hiccup that probably won't happen this year.. although he seems to have health issues.

There was just a ton holding Duke back last year that you won't see happen often.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Little to no evidence for this.

His tripping incidents leveled off towards the end of the season. Anyone remember the timeline? If memory serves he went through the NCAAT, ACCT and maybe a few games before that with no issues.

Coach K is also, for now at least, going to coach the team for the entire season. He seems to have a better grasp on Allen. Hard to say if Allen has gotten past this, or it's just circumstance that he didn't have any anger flare-ups towards the end of the season.. a time when they were playing pretty well.

Can't believe I'm defending Duke.. but guys, seriously, are we going to bank on Allen and K having issues all over again? And their two best players dealing with injuries for most of the season? It's just not going to happen.

I'm not sure Duke wins the title last year no matter what.. but you're lying to yourself if you think that team didn't do the field a favor by shooting itself in the foot several times.

Can't believe I'm defending Duke.. but guys, seriously, are we going to bank on Allen and K having issues all over again? And their two best players dealing with injuries for most of the season? It's just not going to happen.

I'm not sure Duke wins the title last year no matter what.. but you're lying to yourself if you think that team didn't do the field a favor by shooting itself in the foot several times.

They only had one player that battled injuries throughout the season....Giles. They were pretty much 100% starting in February.

Just remember them getting beat in the sweet 16 is pretty much the norm for Duke of the last 17 seasons. Why is it that people are just expecting them to always win a National championship? Coach K's 2 most talented rosters best did not win the national championship.

Do your thinking based on facts not on perception.

Are you including Giles for the 100%? I still don't think Giles is 100% TBH. Not sure he'll ever get back to what he was. That hurt Duke's plans last year. Tatums injury, while mild, still put them in a tough spot. Allen being a dumbass, Coach K bailing on his team.

My point isn't to say "Here's why Duke will win the title".. I never speculate this early. Waaayyy to much can happen. And TBH, I think Duke is too young and Coach K hasn't shown much with molding young talent and egos. There was just some sentiment here last week that because they muffed it last year with all that talent, that it's for sure going to happen again.

They only had one player that battled injuries throughout the season....Giles. They were pretty much 100% starting in February.

Just remember them getting beat in the sweet 16 is pretty much the norm for Duke of the last 17 seasons. Why is it that people are just expecting them to always win a National championship? Coach K's 2 most talented rosters best did not win the national championship.

Do your thinking based on facts not on perception.

Allen had foot surgery immediately after the season was over. He wasn't healthy the last 1/2 of the season. Maybe his new foot won't trip as much.

Allen had foot surgery immediately after the season was over. He wasn't healthy the last 1/2 of the season. Maybe his new foot won't trip as much.

Ok...well Fox had a bad ankle & Bam suffered with back spasms. Briscoe put on weight & couldn't stay away from donuts.

There is absolutely no team that doesn't have banged up players towards the end of the season. Just ask UNC...didnt seem to be "their excuse". They won the title!

If it's Duke or the field, I have to take the field.

Too many good teams out there.

MSU, Zona, KU, and even our Cats have talent enough to get hot and win a title.

Duke isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the top 5.

Ok...well Fox had a bad ankle & Bam suffered with back spasms. Briscoe put on weight & couldn't stay away from donuts.

There is absolutely no team that doesn't have banged up players towards the end of the season. Just ask UNC...didnt seem to be "their excuse". They won the title!

There was a discussion about the health of Duke. I provided information that hadn't previously been discussed. It's not an excuse, Duke did not live up to the hype at all, just sharing information.

Reactions: gracetoyou

Tatum missed 7 games out of 36. I wouldn't call that "most the season". Also they took Giles commitment after he blew out his second knee. They knew what they were getting.

I actually messed that up, for whatever reason I thought Tatum had missed more games when he really didn't miss much.

IDK why Coach K didn't have a better contingency plan with Giles. He must have thought he'd be fully healed in time. But Giles had already lost so much HS playing time it just didn't matter.

They don't have a single backup point guard on the roster, all they can do is alternate Duval and Allen and Allen playing point last year didn't work well at all, Duval is the only point guard on the roster. There's more to winning in March than star power, you need a couple of players that provide intangibles and depth. Last year they had depth but no true point guard, this year they have a point guard but no backcourt depth. I'm surprised so many here can't see that this team has flaws. On paper, they are not the best team, I don't know if I'd have them in my top three.

If it's Duke or the field, I have to take the field.

Too many good teams out there.

MSU, Zona, KU, and even our Cats have talent enough to get hot and win a title.

Duke isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the top 5.

You always take the field versus one team. I took the field over our 2015 squad.

Ugh. I just made myself sad. Gonna go cry in the shower now tbh

I'm curious

What do Duke fans say now when presented with the facts of them vilifying (along with their coach) OAD's, Kentucky , Cal and that we were "ruining college basketball " literal words theat were said by many many of their fans, their coach, even media pundits

But just like 2 years later it's all dandy? They've been recruiting the exact same "OAD" style ... but all of a sudden it's not "ruining college basketball " anymore .

I'd honestly be curious to see what they would say

His shorts are oddly short for today's game. Did he sleep over and have to borrow Grayson's shorts? I guess to play for dook you have to look like a tool. Here's to hoping they get matched up against Lehigh in the first round again!!

Yea Lehigh probably doesn't have another CJ McCollum but I get what your are saying lol.

My question is why was it necessary to wear matching practice gear for a "pick up game." And the whole team just shows up? Amazing...

Is there a timeframe for when we will know if Bagley is eligible? And if he can't get the coursework completed before the deadline for the first semester, could he still qualify for the 2nd semester?

Is there a timeframe for when we will know if Bagley is eligible? And if he can't get the coursework completed before the deadline for the first semester, could he still qualify for the 2nd semester?
Think the class work is completed but Do not know if the NCAA has allowed his reclassification yet.He has at school now and do not think that we would allow him in school without being pretty sure that he would be cleared

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT