ADVERTISEMENT

Round Table: How much does Bagley's choice change the college hoops landscape?

They were supposed to be the greatest team in ncaa history last year, and we saw how that turned out. Why would this year be any different. The only way they win ncaa this year is just like nc won it last year, the reffs not allowing them to loose. Refs pulled out Arkansas, Kentucky, and Gonzaga games. They were not allowed to beat nc. The only way duke wins this year is the same way. This is sick, espn force feeding me the acc, just like they did the big east for 30 years. I hated the big east and I hate the acc. Bilas has a lot to do with me hating the acc. Here's hoping there is a bunch of ego clashes on duke this year, and the biggest ego of them all their coach [ however you spell his name ] , can't handle it and goes riding off into the sunset for more surgery of some kind.

They were supposed to be the greatest team in ncaa history last year, and we saw how that turned out. Why would this year be any different. The only way they win ncaa this year is just like nc won it last year, the reffs not allowing them to loose. Refs pulled out Arkansas, Kentucky, and Gonzaga games. They were not allowed to beat nc. The only way duke wins this year is the same way. This is sick, espn force feeding me the acc, just like they did the big east for 30 years. I hated the big east and I hate the acc. Bilas has a lot to do with me hating the acc. Here's hoping there is a bunch of ego clashes on duke this year, and the biggest ego of them all their coach [ however you spell his name ] , can't handle it and goes riding off into the sunset for more surgery of some kind.
I believe it is spelled Kfheisbfkabskgnsiwski.

This year is, or could be, different because they don't have two substantial injuries, Allen will probably keep his act clean (as he did towards the end of the season) and Coach K probably won't take an 8-game leave.

Duke gets helped by the NCAA in numerous ways, we know this. That team last year, is talented enough to win it all. Duke is a 1 seed, a high 1 seed, if they avoid those above issues. That team walks to the F4 most likely, and get their usual help to the title.

We need to stop pretending that last seasons wasn't, in large part, an anomaly. Duke will not have near the roadblocks it had last year.

Like it or not, Duke will be amazing this season. However, the most amazing teams don't always win it all.

Let's just do our thing and we'll see them in the dance if both teams take care of business.

He has to become cleared before he can help them. Not sure that is a sure thing

This year is, or could be, different because they don't have two substantial injuries, Allen will probably keep his act clean (as he did towards the end of the season) and Coach K probably won't take an 8-game leave.

Duke gets helped by the NCAA in numerous ways, we know this. That team last year, is talented enough to win it all. Duke is a 1 seed, a high 1 seed, if they avoid those above issues. That team walks to the F4 most likely, and get their usual help to the title.

We need to stop pretending that last seasons wasn't, in large part, an anomaly. Duke will not have near the roadblocks it had last year.

How was it an anomaly? They have advanced past the Sweet 16 3x in 13 years. Don't let the perception fool you.

Some of you act like they're just now recruiting well in Durham.

How was it an anomaly? They have advanced past the Sweet 16 3x in 13 years. Don't let the perception fool you.

Some of you act like they're just now recruiting well in Durham.

UK & Duke have the top 2 classes every year. Good post!

Not only that...5 times past Sweet 16 since 2000. Perception is they are in title game every year

They're a contender now, but they're already so overrated because espn and this board think they're a super team which is laughable. I call it as I see it, last year I thought Duke should win it all before the season started and thought the hype was warranted. This year they have what should be a very good starting 5 (even tho K is starting 4 freshmen) but great teams have backcourt depth, period. I don't think Alex o Connell will be enough, guards are so important in March. Arizona and Michigan st has almost, if not as good a starting lineup as Duke plus a lot of depth and should start the season 1 and 2. This board complains about the Duke hype but subscribes to it at the same time.

What makes anyone think that the coaching staff at Duke can win with mostly Freshmen?
They have yet to prove themselves with a roster of OAD's.
How can we diminish with John Calipari does every year by assuming another program can have success with our formula? Duke was a better team last year. Would Cal have taken that roster past the first tournament weekend? Don't buy the hype that because they have recruited a team like ours that they have the ability to win a championship.

No other program takes Freshman and defends and plays team basketball like your Kentucky Wildcats. Duke will play AAU ball with everyone worried about minutes and NBA futures. UK will be a much better team if we meet in March.

Reactions: awf and Cowtown Cat
I've posted before I expected him to go to 'Zona or USC. What you say makes sense. He probably has the best shot of being declared eligible at Duke. Cal knew he'd never be cleared to play for UK.
It would be hilarious of he didn't get cleared. 3 schools in 3 years, decides to reclassify this late, and to a school that's supposed to have high standards. Doesn't pass the smell test.

What makes anyone think that the coaching staff at Duke can win with mostly Freshmen?
How can we diminish with John Calipari does every year by assuming another program can have success with our formula? Duke was a better team last year. Would Cal have taken that roster past the first tournament weekend? Don't buy the hype that because they have recruited a team like ours that they have the ability to win a championship.

No other program takes Freshman and defends and plays team basketball like your Kentucky Wildcats. Duke will play AAU ball with everyone worried about minutes and NBA futures. UK will be a much better team if we meet in March.
Yes. Also, great post.

lol. maybe we won't have as many injuries. maybe we actually have a true point guard. A lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening comparing this team to last year.lol.

didn't duke win a title in 2015 with our best players being freshman ?

It's now been 8 years since preseason #1 won the title. There's a reason. College kids just don't have enough experience with that kind of pressure in the age of social media making them more accessible to the college fan base than ever.

That's my opinion at least.

didn't duke win a title in 2015 with our best players being freshman ?

That Duke team had some experience though. Senior Quinn cook, Junior Amile Jefferson, junior Plumlee in a back up role gave them important minutes at times. Sophomore Matt Jones probably had his best season for them as well. As far as performance/expectations.

It was a really impressive job by K with them only having like 8 scholarship players. The upper class men were important though.

lol. maybe we won't have as many injuries. maybe we actually have a true point guard. A lot of people are going to be in for a rude awakening comparing this team to last year.lol.
I thought allen was your pre season all american point guard.
Like I said see how that turned out. Big egos your coach can't deal with that. Just like his hero bobby knight the personalities and egos of today's stars have passed him by. Soon as they loose a couple of games he will have to have more surgery and leave so the assistants will have to take the heat. Just like knight he is a piece of shit.
How can a player who is just a junior who went to a school that the ncaa doesn't recognize all of a sudden decide to reclassify 3 weeks before school starts and be eligible that's 2 years of classes in 3 weeks. If baggley is that smart and that good why did he go to high school at all ?

That Duke team had some experience though. Senior Quinn cook, Junior Amile Jefferson, junior Plumlee in a back up role gave them important minutes at times. Sophomore Matt Jones probably had his best season for them as well. As far as performance/expectations.

It was a really impressive job by K with them only having like 8 scholarship players. The upper class men were important though.
They also had quite a bit of help. Their road that year was....[laughing] Idgaf about the RPI numbers and all that BS. They played San Diego State, Utah and Gonzaga to reach the Final Four. Really?!

Last edited:
They were supposed to be the greatest team in ncaa history last year, and we saw how that turned out. Why would this year be any different....
Devil's advocate: the reason it may be different this year is you wouldn't expect the greatest or second greatest coach in college hoops history to have two teams fall apart in back to back years.

Coach K does well when he has a dominant freshman surrounded by 4 upper classman. His system has never been conducive to a mostly freshmen team: Duval, Carter, Bagley, Trent...will have to carry most the load. Allen the only real vet...I predict they will not advance past the Elite 8. With that said in not an idiot...they are totally capable of winning it all.

I really hate to say this, but I think we should prepare ourselves for Duke to go 40-0 this year. The ACC is weak and their roster is insane. Bagley is probably going to have an Anthony Davis type season and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. We are gonna feel like the Kansas and UL fans felt in 2012. They had very very good teams that year, but Davis and UK were just on another level.

I don't think chemistry is going to be a problem with this team. Carter, Trent, Duval, and Bagley (man it makes me throw up just to type all of those names on the same roster) all know each other and I think Gracie Allen will be a grownup at last to pull it all together. Can't judge them by last year when they didn't have a true point guard.

And it's more than likely UK will be the #2 seed in their region, in Atlanta. This may be the one year I hope for UK to get the #1 seed in the West.

I really hate to say this, but I think we should prepare ourselves for Duke to go 40-0 this year. The ACC is weak and their roster is insane. Bagley is probably going to have an Anthony Davis type season and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. We are gonna feel like the Kansas and UL fans felt in 2012. They had very very good teams that year, but Davis and UK were just on another level.

I don't think chemistry is going to be a problem with this team. Carter, Trent, Duval, and Bagley (man it makes me throw up just to type all of those names on the same roster) all know each other and I think Gracie Allen will be a grownup at last to pull it all together. Can't judge them by last year when they didn't have a true point guard.

And it's more than likely UK will be the #2 seed in their region, in Atlanta. This may be the one year I hope for UK to get the #1 seed in the West.
You may be right. I, for one, don't buy into the hype. Duval can't shoot, Gracie is a head case and Trent is way overrated. We pretty much know what Bolden brings. Carter and Bagley are legit, but Bagley isn't gonna be as good as AD. Are they a top 4 or 5 team? Sure they are. I just don't see a dominant team. Definitely don't see 40-0. I think MSU, Arizona and possibly UK and KU are just as good, if not better. JMO.

Edit: MSU drops Duke in the Champions Classic, IMO

Reactions: Primedfor9
We are not going 40-0.Feiw Grayson played the majority of last year with the cloud that he created himself over his head plus a bad ankle that required surgery after the season Would not count on that happening again

You're being sarcastic, right?

Duke won't go 40-0. They won't get past the Elite Eight at best.

Lol...whatever! Duke is NOT going 40-0 & Anthony Davis greatest contribution to 2012 team was defensively, no offensively. Anthony Davis was not at UK what he is in the NBA...people seem to forget.

Reactions: Primedfor9 and JC43
Looking at this Duke team, I wonder if the parts don't outweigh the sum.

They have all this talent thrown together. Bagley, their best talent, isn't even on campus yet.

They missed a great opportunity to bond with their DR trip. That was most likely due to Bagley as much as it was to K's surgery.

Also, looking at K's style of play, I wonder how it will work with three of their top six being Big men?

K likes to play a PG, CG, SG, SF, PF/C.

Last year I argued that Giles would play the 5, when healthy. He never really got healthy, but when he was, he played the 5 most of the time. I said Tatum would be at the 4.

Duke fans protested, but look what happened?

This year, they don't have a true SF to play at the 4. Will K be able to adjust?

How does it work when his 4 and 5 are both post players and both want to be on the perimeter? Bolden is the only Big for them that wants to play inside, and he hasn't shown any ability to stay on the floor. Besides, he will be behind Carter and Bagley.

At least one of the Bigs has to be able to go out on the perimeter and knock down 3's. Both want to be a perimeter player. Will either be able to be consistent on the perimeter? Both have the skills to be a beast inside, but which one is willing to do it?

Also, the team has a bunch of guys who likes to get their own. All are known as volume scorers.

Is there enough balls to go around as they say?

Duke teams that have been successful have always had the key role players who do the dirty work. Guys like Jefferson and Jones in 2015. Zoubek in 2010. Who is that guy on this team?

I definitely do not see a defensive stopper on this team. They will look to outscore everybody. That usually means a cold shooting night in the tourney leads to their demise.

All this talent, but do they fit? How does K make it work. He is a great coach and will have them in good shape, but let's not act like this team is flawless.

K will have to adapt his system to his personnel this year more so than any other past years.

Last edited:
I'll say this, though I really like this Duke teams athleticism with Carter, Bagley, Duvall out there, I think like a lot of coach K teams they'll be average(for a contender) on defense.

What often gets them in trouble come March is they have a lot of guys that get destroyed on dribble penetration. Most freshman struggle with defense and coach K's guys usually take a year or two playing together before they get good at it.

This is probably his youngest team. And even the 2015 team, of the freshman they had a rare freshman defensive stud in Winslow. Don't see that in this years crop. Maybe Bagley can be that guy but it would take more than him IMO.

I think that's a pretty fair question though.

Duke has a lot of iso players. I believe their team last year had a better chance than this one. You have a score first pg, allen, carter, and Bagley who are ball dominant players. We now know K can recruit, but can he meld all those young egos...it will be a repeat of last year. I predict Allen will be given green light so he can raise his draft stock thus pissing off the other prima Donnas, the new freshman see what Allen gets away with and pick up his bad habits. Allen will try too much and the other teammates won't buy into that...

ADVERTISEMENT