ADVERTISEMENT

Round 6 UK Basketball Draft

This is probably one of the more intelligent drafts from a fan perspective. For example, we don't have guys running out and drafting players simply based on how they performed in the the NBA. Instead, this is a "what did they do at Kentucky" draft, and it seems like everyone gets that.

Otherwise, guys like SGA and Maxey would have gone in the top 5. I'm glad to see we have a pretty measured group of drafters.

This is probably one of the more intelligent drafts from a fan perspective. For example, we don't have guys running out and drafting players simply based on how they performed in the the NBA. Instead, this is a "what did they do at Kentucky" draft, and it seems like everyone gets that.

Otherwise, guys like SGA and Maxey would have gone in the top 5. I'm glad to see we have a pretty measured group of drafters.
Yep. I was just thinking how some of the biggest NBA stars Kentucky’s ever produced are still (rightfully) undrafted at this point.

To solidify my lineup, I’ll take a guy that can defend any player on the court. An all American despite never even averaging 10 points per game in a season. He”s the perfect, unselfish compliment to what I’ve built so far. He and Shai with their length and skill will give even the best offensive players nightmares. Give me Willie Cauley Stein.

@RunninRichie you are up

To solidify my lineup, I’ll take a guy that can defend any player on the court. An all American despite never even averaging 10 points per game in a season. He”s the perfect, unselfish compliment to what I’ve built so far. He and Shai with their length and skill will give even the best offensive players nightmares. Give me Willie Cauley Stein.

@RunninRichie you are up
Rats, he was in my list of picks for next round.

For the first player off my bench, it’s pretty easy for me with what’s left. Give me a guy that was having an SEC player of the year type season before Covid cut him short. I’ll take Immanuel Quickley.

@Fox2monk is up
Really solid pick. A little bummed my boy Sam Malone didn't get picked, but there's always a 2 way deal.

Last edited:
I’ll take 3 time consensus AA, 3 time All-SEC, and NCAA all region player Cotton Nash who averaged a ridiculous 22.7 points/12.7 rebounds per game.

Likely a top 10 pick if basketball never evolved to what it is today. His stats and accolades are crazy.

Interesting thing about Cotton Nash to me while researching is he averaged 3 PPG his rookie year in the NBA. Decided to retire after his rookie year from basketball and played mostly Minor league baseball.. few years in the majors but only 3-6 games per year in the Show.

Last edited:
Likely a top 10 pick if basketball never evolved to what it is today. His stats and accolades are crazy.

Interesting thing about Cotton Nash to me while researching is he averaged 30 PPG his rookie year in the NBA. Decided to retire after his rookie year from basketball and played mostly Minor league baseball.. few years in the majors but only 3-6 games per year in the Show.
If we are considering UK only Careers he ranks up there with the best.

Reactions: chroix and DraftCat

Interesting thing about Cotton Nash to me while researching is he averaged 30 PPG his rookie year in the NBA. Decided to retire after his rookie year from basketball and played mostly Minor league baseball.. few years in the majors but only 3-6 games per year in the Show.
I… did not realize that. Very fascinating.

Edit: I just looked it up and he only averaged 3 ppg, not 30 lol.

Reactions: chroix and DraftCat
With 5 rounds in the books, here’s my analysis so far.

Without naming names, need look no further than Rupp’s early championship teams to see that the emphasis has been on modern players. The only pre-1960 player chosen was my first round selection of Cliff Hagan. Louie Dampier and Dan Issel are the only pre-1970 players taken. That said, these posters have all shown great basketball knowledge with their choices. I don’t see a single team that makes me say “eww, glad I don’t have that team.” Lots of attention is being paid to chemistry and team makeup, as evidenced by @DraftCat’s Last picks. I was looking at his team saying “eek, great players but no scoring from the guard spots.” Then he drafts Dillingham and Fitch with consecutive picks.

My favorite teams so far…

@Son_Of_Saul Yikes. Wall & Cuz anchoring the 1 and 5 around Meeks, Reeves, & PJ is frightening.

@RunninRichie my only question for his team was who he’d pick as his big man and he got an all-American in Rick Robey.

@JHannibalSmith I love the electricity of Chapman & Mercer at the 2 and 3 spots and McCarty is the perfect complimentary piece at the 4.

Steals of the draft…

Tony Delk at 8 was crazy. I considered him at #4 easily a top 5 UK player of all time.

Keith Bogans at 19. He’s the fourth leading scorer is school history. I had him pegged as a borderline first/second rounder.

Kevin Grevey in the 5th round. I know we’re shying away from older players but wow. All-American scoring machine guard who could rebound.

All in all though, there haven’t been a whole lot of big surprise picks or reaches because I think we all kinda know our stuff. Kentucky fans just have a good knowledge of their history. The next few rounds will be really interesting as we choose our role players and fill any needs. It’s been a blast so far fellas. Let’s keep a’goin!

Kelenna Azubuike. @chroix OTC.
I was still doing my write up as this pick was being made or it would’ve been one of my steals of the draft. Great choice.

At this point, I need a versatile do-everything forward that can be a glue guy. There are a couple I was between but when in doubt, go for the one who filled that exact role on a national championship team.

Gimme Darius Miller and turn it over to @Son_Of_Saul

I was still doing my write up as this pick was being made or it would’ve been one of my steals of the draft. Great choice.

At this point, I need a versatile do-everything forward that can be a glue guy. There are a couple I was between but when in doubt, go for the one who filled that exact role on a national championship team.

Gimme Darius Miller and turn it over to @Son_Of_Saul
Darn it! I had him earmarked for this round.

Reactions: chroix and jrpross
With 5 rounds in the books, here’s my analysis so far.

Without naming names, need look no further than Rupp’s early championship teams to see that the emphasis has been on modern players. The only pre-1960 player chosen was my first round selection of Cliff Hagan. Louie Dampier and Dan Issel are the only pre-1970 players taken. That said, these posters have all shown great basketball knowledge with their choices. I don’t see a single team that makes me say “eww, glad I don’t have that team.” Lots of attention is being paid to chemistry and team makeup, as evidenced by @DraftCat’s Last picks. I was looking at his team saying “eek, great players but no scoring from the guard spots.” Then he drafts Dillingham and Fitch with consecutive picks.

My favorite teams so far…

@Son_Of_Saul Yikes. Wall & Cuz anchoring the 1 and 5 around Meeks, Reeves, & PJ is frightening.

@RunninRichie my only question for his team was who he’d pick as his big man and he got an all-American in Rick Robey.

@JHannibalSmith I love the electricity of Chapman & Mercer at the 2 and 3 spots and McCarty is the perfect complimentary piece at the 4.

Steals of the draft…

Tony Delk at 8 was crazy. I considered him at #4 easily a top 5 UK player of all time.

Keith Bogans at 19. He’s the fourth leading scorer is school history. I had him pegged as a borderline first/second rounder.

Kevin Grevey in the 5th round. I know we’re shying away from older players but wow. All-American scoring machine guard who could rebound.

All in all though, there haven’t been a whole lot of big surprise picks or reaches because I think we all kinda know our stuff. Kentucky fans just have a good knowledge of their history. The next few rounds will be really interesting as we choose our role players and fill any needs. It’s been a blast so far fellas. Let’s keep a’goin!
For me to get such a steal with Delk snd not fall into your top 3, I must have really screwed up my picks after, in your opinion. I love what I’ve got, but when you draft them, of course you do.

Really like the miller pick there, btw. He would have been my pick if not Quickley.

Darn it! I had him earmarked for this round.

giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: chroix and Fox2monk
For me to get such a steal with Delk snd not fall into your top 3, I must have really screwed up my picks after, in your opinion. I love what I’ve got, but when you draft them, of course you do.

Really like the miller pick there, btw. He would have been my pick if not Quickley.
Oh I wouldn’t read too much into it. They’re just my initial thoughts at a glance. I was too young to know Givens or Bowie so I’ll have to refresh my memory on them before giving an informed judgement. And I don’t love the Twin towers idea but we’ll all get an opportunity to explain how our team will be used. You ain’t out of it yet! 😜

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT