ADVERTISEMENT

Rough Day for Cats on NFL Cut Day

Hopefully they will at least be on practice squads. I thought bates played well enough to stay on but guess not. Bit surprised too at Johnson because he used to start there and i think had two picks preseason.

I still cant believe McCall didn't kill it in the league. Not sure how a 350lb explosive athlete is always borderline out of the league but ya....its a tough gig. Only so many teams run 3-4 and technique is so important.

Hopefully they will at least be on practice squads. I thought bates played well enough to stay on but guess not. Bit surprised too at Johnson because he used to start there and i think had two picks preseason.

Bates did play well, but there was a lot of competition there. Chicago doesn't use their TEs very well in general, so hopefully he gets picked up somewhere better for him long term. Hate to see him stuck on their practice squad

You're thinking of KSmith with the 2 picks. Still surprised Johnson is bouncing around. Wonder if the injury he suffered against the Chiefs is a lingering issue.

I still cant believe McCall didn't kill it in the league. Not sure how a 350lb explosive athlete is always borderline out of the league but ya....its a tough gig. Only so many teams run 3-4 and technique is so important.

Same. I know there are teams that could put him to good use, but they all seem to already have their guys at his position

Saw several former Cats got released today. Some notables:

Chris Rodriguez

Thought it was strange how few carries CRod got in his time at Wash. Had decent per carry avgs, but maybe he never picked up the entire playbook?

Josh Ali
Lonnie Johnson
Marquan McCall
Brendan Bates
Phil Hoskins

And I’m sure I may have missed someone

NFL is a tough gig. Just playing for multiple years is a huge accomplishment.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
Saw several former Cats got released today. Some notables:

Chris Rodriguez
Josh Ali
Lonnie Johnson
Marquan McCall
Brendan Bates
Phil Hoskins

And I’m sure I may have missed someone

NFL is a tough gig. Just playing for multiple years is a huge accomplishment.
The Titans cut Bohanna.

• Wow
Reactions: Girthang
Was a rough day for a lot of former SEC athletes, we had quite a few who got their pink slips too. NOT FOR LONG is pretty accurate.
I just hope these young men saved whatever money they did get from their respective NFL teams. A number of them will latch on to practice squad rosters, and a few might even catch on at another team. For the most part however, these guys will need to face reality and accept they need to enter the working world like the rest of us. Good luck to them.

Lonnie Johnson signed to the Panthers practice squad with the plan being to have him activated to the active roster for week one. Whether he’ll be on the 53 man going forward from there will probably depend on how he performs I imagine. Being a good special teamer has helped Lonnie stick around.

Reactions: CGblue
Here is the current status of all former Cats in the NFL:

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/active-nfl-players-by-college/kentucky/90866
TeamPlayerPosChart Pos / Chart StringRos. StatusDraft Status
RavensLeary, DevinQBPS - 5thPS24 06 219
BillsDavis, RayRBRB - 2ndActive24 04 128
BillsEdwards, MikeSSS - 2ndActive19 03 099
PanthersJohnson Jr., LonnieSPS - 1stPS19 02 054
PanthersWallace, TrevinILBRILB - 2ndActive24 03 072
BrownsSmith, Za'DariusDERDE - 1stActive15 04 122
BroncosSmith, KeidronSSS - 3rdActive23 CFA
LionsPaschal, JoshDERDE - 2ndActive22 02 046
PackersValentine, CarringtonCBLCB - 2ndActive23 07 232
JaguarsFortner, LukeOCC - 2ndActive22 03 065
JaguarsHines-Allen, JoshDERDE - 1stActive19 01 007