ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Podcast - Picks UK 9th in SEC

specialkd24

All-American
Jan 13, 2002
https://www.on3.com/teams/kentucky-...kentucky-no-9-in-sec-preseason-power-ranking/

On his podcast Jon Rothstein picked UK to finish 9th in the SEC this season. He said in part "“People automatically think that just because a team wears Kentucky across its chest, it’s going to be really, really good. I want to remind people this: there are major, major jumps at hand for many of Kentucky’s players who have transferred to Lexington.”

I know it is just a preseason prediction, and it is hard to know how good anybody will be, but this seems crazy to me. If we finish 9th in the SEC this year, I will wear a Louisville shirt for a week in public.

Rothstein is a pretty big name in the college basketball world for all of you questioning his credibility.

He's not exactly wrong. How many times have we got hyped over a transfer who didn't really pan out? And this basically a team full of them with a brand new coach. His ninth place prediction is no less credible then someone who picks us to finish first. No one really knows how everything will settle out with this team.

Rothstein is a pretty big name in the college basketball world for all of you questioning his credibility.

He's not exactly wrong. How many times have we got hyped over a transfer who didn't really pan out? And this basically a team full of them with a brand new coach. His ninth place prediction is no less credible than someone who picks us to finish first. No one really knows how everything will settle out with this team.
His name will take a big hit with that absurd prediction .

Reactions: JASUN74
He could be right on the money. Wouldn't shock me to see UK finish top 2/3, or as Rothstein says, finish top 9/10.

No one has a clue how this team will perform, in the slightest.

We should have a pretty good indication after the Duke game one way or the other.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
I've certainly been wrong before....many times, but barring some serious injuries I see no way in hell we are 9th in SEC.

I know Pope flamed out in NCAAT but he took a BYU team with very very limited talent to a tie for 4th in Big 12.

This team will not lack skill, experience and talent. Is it all high end NBA talent? No. But it doesn't need to be if it meshes well.

He's not exactly wrong. How many times have we got hyped over a transfer who didn't really pan out? And this basically a team full of them with a brand new coach. His ninth place prediction is no less credible then someone who picks us to finish first. No one really knows how everything will settle out with this team.

His overall premise is right. The team hasn't played together. But that is college basketball now in the Portal Era. Get some transfers and roll. Maybe they won't pan out, but I like what Pope has put together.

I think it is more likely they WILL work out and be successful. He talked about players at lower levels coming up ... then he tabbed Mark Sears is Preseason Player of the Year. And where was he 2 years ago? Ohio. It worked out good for Alabama last year. So it is not like it is crazy transfers will make big impacts.

I probably will be saying similar in other posts as we head closer to the season. This team looks like an Alabama team of a few years ago. When on with 3 point shooting they were practically unbeatable. However, they also had losses to so-so teams when they were not on.

I think the interesting challenge is fundamentals which win or lose games namely rebounding, minimizing turnovers, attacking the basket with success to be fouled, team defense, and of course passing for open looks that hit. Some real questions for this team on rebounding and protecting the ball. But, they may shock in their wins. Can it be consistent may be the ultimate question.

His overall premise is right. The team hasn't played together. But that is college basketball now in the Portal Era. Get some transfers and roll. Maybe they won't pan out, but I like what Pope has put together.

I think it is more likely they WILL work out and be successful. He talked about players at lower levels coming up ... then he tabbed Mark Sears is Preseason Player of the Year. And where was he 2 years ago? Ohio. It worked out good for Alabama last year. So it is not like it is crazy transfers will make big impacts.
Sears didn't come out of nowhere. Was 1st all Mac and scored 20 a game at Ohio. Then had a year to acclimate playing on No 1 team in the nation. Our transfers don't have that resume.

Also, Rothstein has been pretty accurate with news about uk and Portal wins/losses. My guess is hes hearing things. I don't think Pope is calling him up and bad mouthing the team. But he hasn't heard anything to predict us having a stellar season either.

Reactions: Zissou87
I definitely hope he’s wrong! Bottom line Pope has to prove everyone wrong and show his ability to coach on the big stage. They were several preseason polls while Cal was coaching here that we were overrated and that was due to Cal having respect. With that said I really think Pope will be ok and respect isn’t given it’s earned and I think he’s up for the challenge.

then he tabbed Mark Sears is Preseason Player of the Year. And where was he 2 years ago? Ohio. It worked out good for Alabama last year. So it is not like it is crazy transfers will make big impacts.
Sure, but this is Sears' third year in the SEC. And it took him a while to get really good. Last year his PPG was almost double that of his first year, he shot better overall and from three, and averaged more assists, rebounds, and steals. He was okay his first year and great his second.

That's kind of my point with saying it might take the Pope train a year or two to really get rolling.

Reactions: Zissou87
How many times has UK finished 9th or worse in the sec the last 30 years?

Maybe 2021 9 win season.
I think you have to look at a couple things:
1. When was the SEC this loaded, top to bottom?
2. In regards to UK coaches, Mark Pope has the worst prior resume than any coach since Joe B. Hall. People can give the excuse about the limitations of recruiting at an LDS school, but at the end of the day, he still only has two tournament appearances with zero wins.

Reactions: track42
Could I see us finishing ninth? Hmmm a low percentage chance but sure.

I bang the parity drum as loud as anyone and it only continues to grow as the portal and recruiting become more efficient marketplaces.

The top 3 teams last year were undoubtedly UConn, Houston, and Purdue. Two of those had freakshow 7 footers. Admittedly the other had a historic defense led by a team of good college players and good coach.

Now that we’re months removed from the season and folks checking Kenpom daily…does anyone remember who the 4th best team last year was according to that widely used metric?

The team’s leading scorers in order:

OVC transfer
Fifth year sub 100 ranked recruit
Former JUCO and MWC player
CUSA transfer
A top 40 or so freshman that kinda was a bust and now transferred out already

This team wasn’t even that special in most on here’s eyes I’m sure. We could have a great team next year. We could be in a big heap of mediocrity. There’s no real telling in August. But I believe our roster is comfortably better than the 23-24 Auburn Tigers listed above.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT