Roster mix as opposed to coaching……

gojvc

All-American
Feb 6, 2005
I’m not defending the coaching or making excuses for it. But today we played:

7 freshman
2 sophomores
1 senior

That is not a roster mix that’s going to work in 2024 college basketball. In 2014 it could. That world doesn’t exist now. Unfortunately, I don’t see how that changes much moving forward.

7 freshman
2 sophomores
1 senior

That is not a roster mix that’s going to work in 2024 college basketball. In 2014 it could. That world doesn’t exist now. Unfortunately, I don’t see how that changes much moving forward.
That's the way the used car salesman has built his rosters. It's on him, hook,line and sinker.

Last edited:

7 freshman
2 sophomores
1 senior

CCC does not build a roster, he tries to accumulate the most talent. I stated in another post that he would, as a baseball GM, acquire 9 designated hitters were they deemed 5*. We always have a roster imbalance regarding the freshmen through senior classes. We could lose 4-5 freshmen and, of course, the 2 seniors off this years team. So next year you may have 5-6 freshmen, 2 sophs, 2 juniors, and 0 seniors.

Experience trumps inexperience, in most cases, in the college game. Purdue, UConn,, N Carolina and many others have experienced players And we don’t. Our guys just have not played enough games together. Even the great COW cannot teach experience

Well, CCC tried the transfer portal roster the last couple of years and failed miserably with that too. So he's out of options. The game has passed him by.

Roster mix is the responsibility of the coach. If it happened one time, I’d give him the benefit of the doubt.

It’s happened how many seasons in a row now? What roster mix would he have needed to beat St. F’ing Peters? To have done better than 9-16 the C19 season? To make it to the second weekend of the tournament period at this point?

We have a problem with our bench, for sure. It sits at the head of it, makes $9 mil a year and is really good at shouting “GOOOOOOO!” and looking like a sweaty, befuddled mess down the stretch of any game.

Does anyone recall about 60 days ago when many many posters here were declaring " WE GOT DOGS" which is the dumbest , most sophomoric , immature , dumb ass talk ever . Dogs .. pure stupidity .

Reactions: chroix
He needs to get Mitchell healthy and roll with the original lineup from the beginning of the season when we actually looked like we were worth a damn.

7 freshman
2 sophomores
1 senior

That’s all on Calipari. And he’s being paid $9 mil or so a year for it.🤦‍♀️

The one and done era was a good gimmick but if not for veterans Miller and Jones combined with a generational player in Davis then we dont win in 2012. Otherwise it has failed except only to boost Cals ego. Teams winning today are playing veterans 22-24 year old grown men.

Reactions: Kyhoward
Roster construction is probably where Cal has gotten the laziest. We just got lucky and had Tre and Z fall in our lap. Imagine if we didn’t have them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT