PG: Lamont Butler 9pts 3 assist, 1.5 steals 42%fg, 30%3pt.....Travis Perry
SG: Otega Oweh 11pts, 4 boards, 1.5 steals, 49%FG, 38%3pt
SF: Collin Chandler
PF: Andrew Carr 13 pts, 7 boards, 1.5 blocks, 52%FG, 37%3pt
C: Amari Williams 12pts, 8 boards, 1.8 blocks, 52%FG

In the wings:
Jaxon Robinson SF/SG...14pts, 3 boards, 1 steal 43%FG and 35%3pt
Aiden Mahaney SG...14pts, 2 boads, 2 assist, 1 steal, 43%FG and 40%3pt
Great Osobor 18pts, 9 boards, 3 assist, 1.4 steal, 1.4 blocks...58%FG...a true stat sheet stuffer
Koby Brea...11pts, 4 boards 51%FG and 50%3pt

I do see UK grabbing Osobor and pushing Carr to depth at both C and PF
I for sure see UK grabbing a wing/guard and pushing Chandler to depth on the wing
I am not sure we are gong to get an upgrade at PG....so it mght be Bulter and Perry at the PG....which aint that strong to me.
I am not sure where the other big man is inside yet

But this is a solid productive lineup forming....need another shooter and big man for sure but it's coming along.

Potential roster construction:

In the wings:
Great Osobor 18pts, 9 boards, 3 assist, 1.4 steal, 1.4 blocks...58%FG...a true stat sheet stuffer

I for sure see UK grabbing a wing/guard and pushing Chandler to depth on the wing
I am not sure we are gong to get an upgrade at PG....so it mght be Bulter and Perry at the PG....which aint that strong to me.

But this is a solid productive lineup forming....need another shooter and big man for sure but it's coming along.
Don’t forget our dude and homegrown Kentucky boy who can shoot the lights out. Travis Perry!

@K_TIME , how many players in the portal led their college program to the national title game, hit a Final Four game winner, and won all-defensive honors in his conference?

If may not be "that strong" to you, but it was plenty strong to the 7 tournament teams Lamont Butler dispatched in his college career.

In the wings:

Osobor, Robinson and Mathaney/Smith are crucial to push us into a potential contender next year. We now have all the pieces around them, we just got to reel them in. I'd say that we will hear of another big man we are speaking with sometime this week. It's coming together, but getting these playmakers is essential.

@K_TIME , how many players in the portal led their college program to the national title game, hit a Final Four game winner, and won all-defensive honors in his conference?

If may not be "that strong" to you, but it was plenty strong to the 7 tournament teams Lamont Butler dispatched in his college career.
He’s got more tourney wins that we do the last 5 years combined.

Yes, right now we have a collection of role players and an offensively challenged point guard who previously played mostly at shooting guard.
He’s gonna get 6 more players, Butler may start, but I’m sure he will get another PG, I highly doubt Perry is primary backup at PG.

Reactions: W1LDCAT22
Agree…

If they add your 3 waiting in the wings guys, and then add
G - Koby Brea or Kadary Richmond
SF - Will Riley if he can reclassify to 2024

One more big who has Multiple years left
- Duke transfer PF TJ Power could be a guy here
- an incoming freshman F/C that can be depth but also learning/developing for 2024-2025

I think that would fill all 13 scholarships with a few guys having eligibility for 2024-2025 to form the core for that team

I watched several games that oweh played. Against quality teams. IMO he is being underrated, he is a strong finisher inside that can be a solid caught n shoot guy,and also think he will play 3 spot some.
Butler I think will be solid. Add shooters and we should be a competitive team. Final 4 I'm not expecting, but a hard-nosed fun team that with the right draw can go sweet 16!

I invite anyone to compare these lineups to the past 5 cal teams and compare position by position.
While those freshman had talent, there actual impact and efficiency was not as good as one might think!
I'm loving this frontcourt if we add osobor!
I expect the 3 to share minutes about equally, and we should have a strong defensive and rebounding team! Also have scoring on postups as well as perimeter shooting, a couple pieces away from being a well balanced team!

Wells is who I really want.
Jimmy Fallon Friendship GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
Going to have a outstanding defensive team an experienced team with postseason winning experience.
Only minor concern is. To my knowledge none of these guys have ever played together. Maybe in high school as I don't follow those all-star games.
But I imagine they will be a period where the team will look sloppy playing together. But I imagine they will gell into a team quickly.
Definitely should be a team that is going to be very tough to score on.
I can see a few early losses but by conference play it will take some doing to beat this team.

In the wings:

Perry with a bunch of weapons around him is filthy im telling yall you dont understand how good he is with the ball. The dude is fully capable of being a strong lead guard. He isn't Reed but his iq is very similar. He will need some growth on defense but he is a confident player and will adjust. I have seen him make passes that make you go wow this kid is something else.

Reactions: AGEE11 and ACT ONE
Need a star. This roster is still missing one. And Robinson isn’t one. Pope, reel him in!
Who was our "star" on the 1998 team?

We only had one McDonald's All-American on that team. We had no lottery picks on that squad. Yet, the team had balance, experience, and all embraced their roles. The two teams they met in the Final Four (Stanford and Utah) were comprised of the same types of rosters.

If Pope closes out this class with Mahaney, Osobor, Robinson, Boyed, and someone like Hawkins, you'll have a team filled with 7 guys who have already proven then can win and also average double figures in scoring.

Obviously we all want Davis, but even if you don't get him, that would be a remarkable roster in year one.

In BYU’s offense, play is usually initiated by the 5. There.are 4 shooters and the 5,

I’m not sure what position tags mean in Pope’s system

So besides Perry and Chandler, do any of these guys or the guys we're in on or likely to sign have more than one year of eligibility? Seems like going forward we should be focusing on some guys with 2-3 years of eligibility left. I would hope that ultimately we can get into a pattern of only replacing 2-3 starters max and 4-5 guys total per year.

So besides Perry and Chandler, do any of these guys or the guys we're in on or likely to sign have more than one year of eligibility? Seems like going forward we should be focusing on some guys with 2-3 years of eligibility left. I would hope that ultimately we can get into a pattern of only replacing 2-3 starters max and 4-5 guys total per year.
Pretty sure Oklahoma guy has two

Reactions: tomrain
Those would be great, mine is Peterson, he is a Malik monk/jamal Murray type bucket getter
Peterson is nice. Gonna be lots of competition for all those guys. You know Cal will be out in force looking for them. I’m happy that they are still considering us though. Let’s beat the offers and make a great impression. I mean Brooks helped win over Edgecomb at Baylor when Cal went after him.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Who was our "star" on the 1998 team?

We only had one McDonald's All-American on that team. We had no lottery picks on that squad. Yet, the team had balance, experience, and all embraced their roles. The two teams they met in the Final Four (Stanford and Utah) were comprised of the same types of rosters.

If Pope closes out this class with Mahaney, Osobor, Robinson, Boyed, and someone like Hawkins, you'll have a team filled with 7 guys who have already proven then can win and also average double figures in scoring.

Obviously we all want Davis, but even if you don't get him, that would be a remarkable roster in year one.
Yeah, The Vatican has proven to be able to get a pretty solid year one roster in a limited time span. Can’t wait to see what they do with actual time to work on some guys later on.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
Until the portal and NIL gets a fix everyone is essentially a one-year player. A coach has to re recruit his own team every year and recruit new players to fill holes.

Pretty sure Oklahoma guy has two

Mahaney has 2 more as well...so, as of now, it's just the bigs who only have 1 season. That's why I'd like to see at least one incoming post player who is either a freshman OR a transfer who is a FR/SO so he would have multiple years of eligibility

Things are looking good, both guards we have started for their teams and go to the basket with authority. They are all excellent defenders and have tons of experience, also the size is coming too, with big guys that have some offense and can actually score, and we are nowhere near done. Our big guys we have signed so far are always the ones that have pushed our freshmen around in the past, that's not going to happen with this team. Even the guards are strong and physical, another thing we have been lacking, what's good is that there will be more mature strong experienced guys coming in that can produce on the big stage.

both williams and carr are “testing” the nba per ksr, so keeping my fingers crossed.

In the wings:

Yes it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT