ADVERTISEMENT

Roster: 2019 vs. 2022

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
So we're wondering about if this team has what it takes...so I'll go back to 2019. They weren't the best ever...but they were a title contender and honestly injuries kept them from winning it all...so lets compare them to this next year team.

2019 vs. 2022
5: Reid Travis Sr.(rs) vs. Oscar Tschiebwe Jr.
4: PJ Washington So. vs. Keion Brooks Jr.
3: Keldon Johnson Fr. vs. Kellan Grady Sr. (5th)
2: Tyler Herro Fr. vs. Davion Mintz Sr. (6th)
1: Hagans(Fr.)/Quickley(Fr.) vs. Washington(Fr.)/Wheeler(Jr.)
(Did the 2 PG's for comparison)

Bench-
Bigs: Richards & Montgomery vs. Collins, Toppin, Ware, Hopkins
Guard/Wings: Baker vs. Fredrick & Allen

So compare?
-Lineup: I mean it's close...but overall the experience of 2022 appears better
-Post play: 2022 just has more bodies...2019 got beat at the rim a lot and were slow/soft in the post
-Guards: 2022 has proven players. Better shooting. More point guard play
-Shooting: 2022 appears to have way more shooting
-Bench: 2022 is way deeper
-Experience: This isn't even a debate. Not to mention, 2022 has more returning players too.
-Star potential: Keldon, PJ, & Herro were talented...but they weren't Wall/AD types. Mintz can be a more experienced/consistent Herro. Grady now is way ahead of Keldon. I would bet our PG play with Washington/Wheeler is a lot stronger. PJ is the star, but I bet a junior Keion could make a jump. Oscar is just a monster. Collins has the potential...not proven...but could be around what Nick/EJ were at a minimum.

2019 was a tough year and we were a great team by the end. The SEC was tough with an elite UT team, a Final Four Auburn team, a strong-a** LSU team, and the bottom teams were tough too. So it wasn't just beating up in a bad year...we were legit a title contender.

This 2022 team on paper has the pieces to be better. That team in 2019 didn't have the consistent shooting & depth to bring it home...too reliant on freshman & no real game changer to carry them. The 2022 team is deeper, more experienced, and way more shooting to be modern. If 2019 could be a title contender....I know this team has the pieces to be good enough.

Will they? Who knows...but they have the look IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News