ADVERTISEMENT

Rondo!!!

UK will never ever hire a person who has never coached a game to be the head coach nor should they.
tenor.gif

I’m a definite no on him. He was a high IQ player no doubt, but also quite a temperamental one who frequently clashed with coaches both at Kentucky and in the NBA. High level players who get frustrated and lash out at anyone who isn’t seeing what they’re seeing don’t make ideal coaches where you want some level of patience to instruct young players who aren’t yet as advanced. Throw in his off court issues that have involved guns, and he’s a total non-starter of a candidate.

You have to have your degree to be an assistant at UK. Is that not the case to be HC?

I’m sure I don’t speak for the state as a whole but everyone I know has driven drunk a few times. Not holding that against my man.
I don't know you personally and I don't want to make judgements. However, if everyone you know or hang around has driven drunk you need new friends. Drunk driving ends families, splits families apart, kills babies/kids, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters. Everyone acts like it's such a nonchalant thing to do, when the crackdown and punishment for it should be wayyyyyy harder than it is. Everyone makes mistakes, but everyone knows drunk driving is horrible. That's not a mistake that's a choice.

I don't know you personally and I don't want to make judgements. However, if everyone you know or hang around has driven drunk you need new friends. Drunk driving ends families, splits families apart, kills babies/kids, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters. Everyone acts like it's such a nonchalant thing to do, when the crackdown and punishment for it should be wayyyyyy harder than it is. Everyone makes mistakes, but everyone knows drunk driving is horrible. That's not a mistake that's a choice.
everything here is true but we have all done it once or twice.

Has “everyone you know” threatened his ex while brandishing a gun in front of her kids? The Rondo accusations go beyond mere impaired driving.

Allegedly. Anyone I know with an ex wife has thought about it at the very least. Who am I to believe- Wildcat Legend Rajon Rondo, or his bitter ex wife who has tons to gain from lying about him... hmm....

I personally believe Rondo has an elite basketball IQ and is naturally competitive, so I think he’d be a good bench coach at the very least.

It will never happen, but I’d be onboard if it did.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Considering Rondo's personality and the fact that Rondo vs Tubby vs Sparks is what imploded the end of Tubby's time here, I'm going with Hell no.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Allegedly. Anyone I know with an ex wife has thought about it at the very least. Who am I to believe- Wildcat Legend Rajon Rondo, or his bitter ex wife who has tons to gain from lying about him... hmm....

I question the crowd you run with based on your posts on this thread.

And I’m not sure the “Wildcat Legend” label actually applies to Rondo. The dude is known for what he later did in the NBA. But his UK career is actually surprisingly non-descript. He didn’t win any significant individual honors, only a single digit ppg average, and his teams did nothing special either (and was subject to constant rumors about causing team chemistry problems).

He was indisputably a great NBA player. But his college career not so much.

And I’m not sure the “Wildcat Legend” label actually applies to Rondo. The dude is known for what he later did in the NBA. But his UK career is actually surprisingly non-descript. He didn’t win any significant individual honors, only a single digit ppg average, and his teams did nothing special either (and was subject to constant rumors about causing team chemistry problems).

You have 20k comments on a message board, maybe take a look in the mirror then go touch grass my dude. We're out here living and life gets messy sometimes. God bless.

I’m a definite no on him. He was a high IQ player no doubt, but also quite a temperamental one who frequently clashed with coaches both at Kentucky and in the NBA. High level players who get frustrated and lash out at anyone who isn’t seeing what they’re seeing don’t make ideal coaches where you want some level of patience to instruct young players who aren’t yet as advanced. Throw in his off court issues that have involved guns, and he’s a total non-starter of a candidate.
You make good points about Rondo. And I agree with those as reasons why it couldn't be Rondo right now. The administration would have to believe that he is a "new" Rondo, a more mature and self-aware person, before I think he should even be considered for an assistant. But if he is willing to make that commitment, then I would definitely like to see what he could do as a college coach. But to be a head coach at UK you need to prove you can do it on some level somewhere else. And even if Rondo becomes a good basketball coach, maybe he would be best in the NBA, who knows.

But one thing I would point out when someone makes the valid points of concern about Rondo that you made: Chris Beard fits that description too - almost to a tee.

Rondo is crazy and volatile as hell. He ain't to be trifled with in person or private. Ticking tick tick you know what I'm saying!
Everybody knows that.
Everybody also knows he's smart as hell when it comes to basketball. If that point guard from West Virginia can coach the Boston Celtics then rondo can coach!!! Lmao.

I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. You have to factor in Rondo was a lock down defender. He was 1st in SEC his freshman year averaging 2.6 steals per game, and 2nd his sophomore year with 2 steals per game. Two sides of the court. While Rondo was not a elite or even good shooter, he lead the team by running the point very well.

Sophomore year stats :

11.2 points per game / 6.1 rebounds per game (great for a guard) / 4.9 assist per game (very good) / 2 steals per game. Those stats are nothing to turn you nose up at, very solid numbers and a lockdown defender made him even more valuable. Factoring in his defensive abilities, not many PG's at UK have been better.

Was 2nd team All SEC his sophomore year
All freshman SEC

Mark pope head coach
Rondo assistant
Maybe bring Padgett from msu
And find a former cal player

I’d rather do this than hire friggin drew

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT