ADVERTISEMENT

Rondo Is Working Toward Joining Coaching Staff In 23-24.

We all need to really cross our fingers that this happens. He and cal will butt heads for sure but rondo will be one helluva coach. I hope he takes over the scouting duties

We all need to really cross our fingers that this happens. He and cal will butt heads for sure but rondo will be one helluva coach. I hope he takes over the scouting duties
Not going to happen. If it does.. fine, but don’t see it happening

This will be fantastic for all the Cal haters. Rajon will no doubt try to choke Cal on the sidelines for not listening to what he says because he has the temperament of a 6 year old.
Wait a minute ! ! ! WHO are you saying "has the temperament of a 6 year old" ???

I actually hope Rondo takes over the offensive (Especially!) and also defensive schemes...

Rondo and Tyler....................Tyler and Rondo

Say WHATEVER you want.. That combination is Gangster, KENTUCKY STYLE!!!!!

That MAY actually save Cal's job with the UK fan base IF Cal can leverage it....

Let's REALLY see IF Cal has ANY sense at all.... Everyone KNOWS he has cents...

You can build a franchise around those two... Kentucky does not need that but OH what a BOOST of moral for all involved. That will be an INCREDIBLE killer instinct on this team that even Cal cannot stall ball...

May be the REAL Kentucky Effect...

Real question, is HE working towards it, or does this have Cals blessing? Rondo and Anderson are close (Anderson is like a father figure) and this regime seems to have shunned Anderson. Rondo isn’t squeaky clean, having pulled a gun in front of his own family in May ‘22. His personality doesn’t seem to jive with Cal’s typical Yes Man hiring. Just wonder how much of this report is news to Cal as well. Anderson made similar public campaigns to be hired.

To be clear, if his legal problems are behind him, and he restricts his temper to being a passionate basketball coach, I’d be happy to have him on a staff.
I could see Anderson filling Robics shoes. Being the strategy guy + tape guy + scout guy.

Anderson won't join Cal because he's NOT one of Cal's guys. Which is stupid for Cal.

oFX4Gqx.jpg

Reactions: CatPhight and BBUK
I could see Anderson filling Robics shoes. Being the strategy guy + tape guy + scout guy.

Anderson won't join Cal because he's NOT one of Cal's guys. Which is stupid for Cal.
Anderson has been an anti-Cal guy since Cal was named coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Farsight
I've thought about the pros and cons of this

Surrounding someone like Wagner with Ulis and Rondo is a great recruiting strategy. Being able to tell future recruits you are bringing in NBA players, one a champion, to elevate your game is a win/win in recruiting.

Wager is going to be successful regardless, so its low risk proposition.

And if his role is focused just on making the PG/SGs better then I think it can work.

Maybe the new model is 2-3 former NBA student assistants (not sure how in the world you maintain that model) working with the players one on one during the year to raise their game to an NBA level.

I don't think a larger role than that for Ulis or Rondo would work.

Last edited:
I loved Rondo as a player. However, keep in mind that Rondo has out-stayed his welcome everywhere he’s been. He will eventually (most likely) butt heads with Cal and the other coaches, for two reasons:

1. That’s just his personality
2. He’s likely more knowledgeable than the coaches and will become frustrated with what he will perceive as their overall ineptness

I‘m often wrong (just ask my wife), but this will eventually prove true.
Hopefully the coaches can see how good of a mind he has and let him be the game planner. I guarantee we would start running better offense and be better prepared.

I have wanted to hear this news for a few years now. I can see him being a head coach some day if he can keep his head straight. He should draw up every play in the huddle and call out plays from the sideline instead of just hearing GOOOOOOO all game.

This is great news, IF, everybody gets along.

He has basketball smarts, something we need.

Does Anderson have any coaching credentials? Any experience beyond maybe AAU? I know he was a fine player but that seems like a hell of a jump.

ADVERTISEMENT