ADVERTISEMENT

Rondo Is Working Toward Joining Coaching Staff In 23-24.

Tubby: Remember, that dumbass can't even draw up an inbounds play...watch your back...

i

Last edited:
I loved Rondo as a player. However, keep in mind that Rondo has out-stayed his welcome everywhere he’s been. He will eventually (most likely) butt heads with Cal and the other coaches, for two reasons:

1. That’s just his personality
2. He’s likely more knowledgeable than the coaches and will become frustrated with what he will perceive as their overall ineptness

I‘m often wrong (just ask my wife), but this will eventually prove true.

Big fan of this, smart smart guy. A combo of Ulis/Rondo being like, the players guys to talk them through things I think could be awesome, plus Rondo's knowledge of the game can be invaluable on adjustments and game plans. I'm not going to worry about personality clashes or chemistry issues with other coaches unless they happen. Some of ya'll go straight to the worst case scenario of everything. The risk/reward is so low it's a no brainer.

I loved Rondo as a player. However, keep in mind that Rondo has out-stayed his welcome everywhere he’s been. He will eventually (most likely) butt heads with Cal and the other coaches, for two reasons:

2. He’s likely more knowledgeable than the coaches and will become frustrated with what he will perceive as their overall ineptness

No, no it won't.
I did ask your wife. She says your success rate is about 4%. Yeah, that's what she said.

Reactions: chroix

Butting heads with Cal could be a real good thing.

I wouldn't mind Rondo giving it a go as an assistant here, but the bad part is that basically shows that Cal will be back next year. I was still holding out hope he was gone and this would be the last year we'd have to suffer with him as our coach.

Beyond that, I guess "working toward" means he's practicing his gum chewing, picking out glasses and mastering the art of sitting there with a dumb smile on his face and not saying anything.

He'd also be quick to tell Calipari the truth about things. Yes men don't help anyone improve. Sometimes you need to disagree and bring a fresh approach.
I am already anxious to see how this goes. I don’t think CCC will listen or take constructive criticism. I’ll be surprised if Rondo lasts long.

This is fantastic news, IMO.

Yeah, Cal will still be here but since we can't fire him ourselves, lol, this addition to our staff will prove invaluable.
Hell who knows, perhaps he's planning on taking over when we finally do get shed of Cal.😎

We are getting an NBA Champion who is considered to be one of the smartest and most highly skillful players to ever play the game and the first thing you do is wax negative?

Real question, is HE working towards it, or does this have Cals blessing? Rondo and Anderson are close (Anderson is like a father figure) and this regime seems to have shunned Anderson. Rondo isn’t squeaky clean, having pulled a gun in front of his own family in May ‘22. His personality doesn’t seem to jive with Cal’s typical Yes Man hiring. Just wonder how much of this report is news to Cal as well. Anderson made similar public campaigns to be hired.

To be clear, if his legal problems are behind him, and he restricts his temper to being a passionate basketball coach, I’d be happy to have him on a staff.

I am already anxious to see how this goes. I don’t think CCC will listen or take constructive criticism. I’ll be surprised if Rondo lasts long.
I'd imagine this would all be worked out before finalizing anything

This will be fantastic for all the Cal haters. Rajon will no doubt try to choke Cal on the sidelines for not listening to what he says because he has the temperament of a 6 year old.
He will be on the new coach’s staff when the season starts. Cal will be gone.

• Wow
Reactions: shodaman
Real question, is HE working towards it, or does this have Cals blessing? Rondo and Anderson are close (Anderson is like a father figure) and this regime seems to have shunned Anderson. Rondo isn’t squeaky clean, having pulled a gun in front of his own family in May ‘22. His personality doesn’t seem to jive with Cal’s typical Yes Man hiring. Just wonder how much of this report is news to Cal as well. Anderson made similar public campaigns to be hired.

To be clear, if his legal problems are behind him, and he restricts his temper to being a passionate basketball coach, I’d be happy to have him on a staff.
He will be on the new coach’s staff when the season starts. Cal will be gone.
Not hardly. Wishful thinking on your part. Cal not going anywhere, especially with the #1 class coming in next year. I think could retire after next year.

A basketball brainiac by most accounts if people will just listen. Doesn't mean they will or it makes him a great coach but time will tell.

How do you know that he is one of the best minds in sports. Pretty big universe of people that have played, coached, etc.
Rondo is universally respected by NBA front office personnel and players as one of the smartest basketball players/minds in the game. Google it if you don't want to believe what I'm writing.

I didn't say "Sports" I said "The sport"--as in basketball. If you want to doubt that, you are going against people far more in the know than us.

Rondo proved you don't have to be 6'5" and have unlimited shooting range to be a successful PG in the NBA. On top of that he is a total basketball savant. If you know anything about those types, you know they have trouble in some social situations.
To say he is loved by true basketball nerds is a huge understatement. He both see's and understands the game in a non-linear way which allowed him to seemingly overachieve during his entire pro career.
I love the guy and his game. Hopefully, being on-staff at UK will help him and the program. Of course, he could butt heads with Calipari almost immediately and the experiment would be over very quickly. Let's hope that isn't the case as his wealth of experience could prove to be invaluable.
I would love to be with Rondo and Ulis during down-time between practice and games or on a road trip though. Talk about some stories!

ADVERTISEMENT