ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Mercer & Wayne Turner UK HOF 2020 class

Absolutely! I remember when they came to UK. Ron Mercer was a STUD here. I thought he would end up being a HOFer in the NBA. I’m not sure what happened to his pro career. That’s all very odd.

He was ranked ahead of Kevin Garnett coming out of HS (in some services) and that ranking was legit. Wasn’t like he was a bust. He could’ve went straight to the league and bypassed college IMO. His talent level was right up there with Kobe at that time. People can blast me for that if they want, I’ll stand my ground.

Absolutely! I remember when they came to UK. Ron Mercer was a STUD here. I thought he would end up being a HOFer in the NBA. I’m not sure what happened to his pro career. That’s all very odd.

He was ranked ahead of Kevin Garnett coming out of HS (in some services) and that ranking was legit. Wasn’t like he was a bust. He could’ve went straight to the league and bypassed college IMO. His talent level was right up there with Kobe at that time. People can blast me for that if they want, I’ll stand my ground.

Agree, was kind of odd to watch his NBA career. His last good year was at age 25 and he was out of the league at 28 years old.

Attitude killed his NBA career. That’s why he was traded several times. He couldn’t get along with teammates. He was on 7 teams in 7 years.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
When is Barney going to hang some more player’s jerseys in the rafters?

Congratulations to Ron and Wayne! Both were great representatives of the University of Kentucky on and off the court. Well deserved!

Didn’t Mercer have some injury issues. I know the guy had some ‘tude issues, as I saw them firsthand. But it was just typical super jock “I’m a badass and I know it” stuff. I loved him on the court, was Uber talent. And Wayne - dude was awesome. Loved them both.

Worst thing for Mercer was going to Boston with Walker and Pitino. Career might have turned out better if he wound up elsewhere. Just imagine if you got a promotion at a new place and you show up and your old boss is still your boss and everybody hates the new boss too.

Congrats to both!

Ron lives in the Nashville area and is a successful businessman. He's a true gentleman and a pleasure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT