ADVERTISEMENT

Road to chaos (the 5-way tie)

won't happen, but that would be awesome...

I'm sure they are there, but I can't imagine how the tie breakers work in that scenario...good luck breaking those down

won't happen, but that would be awesome...

I'm sure they are there, but I can't imagine how the tie breakers work in that scenario...good luck breaking those down

It's actually a lot simpler than I thought. Basically you just take the teams that are tied and compare W/L records (percentage) against the others tied. Since they would all be tied for first, the second tie breaker is irrelevant. If two are still tied it's a coin flip, literally. If more than two are still tied, the commissioner draws them out of a hat.

Honestly this is actually extremely plausible.

I actually expect MOST of this to happen.

Ultimately, I don't think it will ALL happen sadly.
I'm sure it won't happen, but man I'd love to see it. I love to see a good old fashioned cluster$%^&...and I think a five way tie atop the conference would qualify for that.

What I wrote last night was partially wrong. I thought USC would be ahead of us because of head to head but it would be how each performed against Tennessee, the third place team in that scenario. USC would be 1 with two victories. UK two.

My stab at the final standings (=) (this week):

1. Tenn 14-4 (1-1)
2. Bama 14-4 (2-0)
3. UK 13-5 (2-0)
4. Auburn 13-5 (2-0)
5. SC 12-6 (0-2)
6. Florida 11-7 (1-1)

My stab at the final standings (=) (this week):

1. Tenn 14-4 (1-1)
2. Bama 14-4 (2-0)
3. UK 13-5 (2-0)
4. Auburn 13-5 (2-0)
5. SC 12-6 (0-2)
6. Florida 11-7 (1-1)

This would be a total dream scenario for us- plus another crack at Florida. Bring it on.

I did the maths. If we get chaos, USC wins the league we are #2. Then TN, AU, AL

WLW %
SC
3​
2​
60.00%​
UK
3​
2​
60.00%​
TN
4​
3​
57.14%​
AU
2​
3​
40.00%​
AL
2​
4​
33.33%​
I think...but could be wrong...if more than two teams are tied INITIALLY...head to head record has no bearing. The first is what you have in the charts. Then it's merely a coin flip between UK and uSC for the #1 seed.

Edit...my fault. I'm wrong a lot, ask my wife. Missed the part where they said it two teams remained tied it reverts back to the two team tie breaker.

If the season ends up a 5-way tie for first in the SEC, I fully expect every damned moronic sports talking head to SHUT THE HELL UP about the best conferences being the ACC and/or Big 12!!

First domino hath fallen

giphy.gif

Pretty sure Kentucky is #1 seed if this happens not sure if anyone said that already

#1 Kentucky 3-2 (1-1 vs Tenn, 1-0 vs Ala, 1-0 vs Aub, 0-1 vs SC)
#2 Tennessee 3-3 (1-1 vs Ken, 1-0 vs Ala, 1-0 vs Aub, 0-2 vs SC)
#3 Alabama 2-3 (0-1 vs Ken, 0-1 vs Tenn, 1-1 vs Aub, 1-0 vs SC) 1-1 vs Florida
#4 Auburn 2-3 (0-1 vs Ken, 0-1 vs Tenn, 1-1 vs Ala, 1-0 vs SC) 0-1 vs Florida
#5 South Carolina (1-0 vs Ken, 1-1 vs Tenn, 0-1 vs Ala, 0-1 vs Aub)

Ok I think this is how the tie breakers would work but not 100% sure as far as the 3,4,5 seeds because I am not sure if they rerack them against each other after Kentucky and Tennessee win the top 2 spots and they are tied. If they do compare them vs each other Alabama and Aub both beat SC making them 5th I think and then for the 3/4 they compare down to Florida

Someone feel free to check my work
I think this is wrong. SC would be 2-0 vs UT and 1-0 vs UK. They'd be #1.

Reactions: gbl97
I did the maths. If we get chaos, USC wins the league we are #2. Then TN, AU, AL

WLW %
SC
3​
2​
60.00%​
UK
3​
2​
60.00%​
TN
4​
3​
57.14%​
AU
2​
3​
40.00%​
AL
2​
4​
33.33%​
If SC plays well, they can absolutely beat that vol ass at Columbia.

I think this is wrong. SC would be 2-0 vs UT and 1-0 vs UK. They'd be #1.
It’s definitely wrong because those records vs each other add up to 12-14. Would have to be same. Also I’m pretty sure UT played either Auburn or Bama twice

It’s definitely wrong because those records vs each other add up to 12-14. Would have to be same. Also I’m pretty sure UT played either Auburn or Bama twice
Yep I wasted my time I deleted it because I don't feel like redoing it all since Kentucky has no path to the #1 seed I believe now.

Yep I wasted my time I deleted it because I don't feel like redoing it all since Kentucky has no path to the #1 seed I believe now.
Ha! Normally you are MONEY on these tie breaking scenarios Muto.

Just wait until football season, 16 teams, no divisions, and 8 conference games. The SEC still has NOT decided on a format if multiple teams are tied for 2nd place. Who would go to the championship game? There could be few common opponents. SEC and B1G are just getting too big.

• Haha
Reactions: UKwootwoot
IF this happens, UK is the #2 seed. Results tomorrow and Saturday:

UK > VU
USC > UT
UK > UT
ALA > ARK
MSU > USC
AUB > UGA

It would be a 5-way tie at 13-5 in the league. Seeding would be based on tiebreaker of records against ALL:
1. USC 3-2
2. UK 3-2

South Carolina gets the 1-seed because the next tiebreaker after the cumulative record, would be record against the next team (6th place Florida). UK is 1-1, USC is 1-0.

3. UT 4-3
4. AUB 2-3
5. ALA 2-4

If it's a 4-way tie between UK, USC, UT and ALA, it would then come down to the Florida tiebreaker, which Tennessee would win over UK (1-0 vs 1-1).

If it's a 4-way tie between UK, USC, UT and AUB, it would then come down to the Alabama tiebreaker, which Tennessee and Kentucky tie (2-0 vs 1-0), and then down to the Florida tiebreaker, which Tennessee would win over UK (1-0 vs 1-1).

In short, Kentucky WANTS a 5-way tie. Their wins over Auburn and Alabama, give them the tiebreaker over Tennessee in a 5-way tie. A 4-way or a 3-way tie, they don't.

Probably a better idea to break down the likely three-way tie between us, Auburn, and Florida for the #4 seed.

Won't happen. Auburn would have to lose to Georgia and I don't see that happening.

The real shot is a 3-way tiebreaker between South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida, all 12-6 in the league.

It would go:
1. Tennessee 15-3
2. Auburn 13-5
3. Alabama 13-5

The records cumulatively between UK, USC and UF would be:

USC 2-0
UK 1-2
UF 1-2

The tiebreaker between them would then be record against Tennessee, which both are 0%
The next tiebreaker would record vs Auburn or Alabama, which UK would beat Florida in both

4. South Carolina 12-6
5. Kentucky 12-6
6. Florida 12-6

The good news is with the Bama loss if UK wins out I think have a 1st round bye, right? We would have 5 losses, the best that Auburn or Alabama can be, and we have head to head wins against both.

Last edited:
UK - Wins Out

TN - L @SC, L v UK

Bama- L @UF, W v Ark

Auburn - Wins out (1 so far)

SC - W v TN, L @MSU

Everyone 13-5
I'm hoping. Win 13k on 2 bets I made in December for 15$ The other 7 teams won their conference. We are the only ones left lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT