ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Barrett

Considering Syracuse played without their leading scorer & the game was in doubt until the last 5 min I would not exactly think the game elevates Duke at all.

All the Zion slobber gets on my nerves. He did not take one single shot outside the lane. 6 of his 13 were dunks. Don't get me wrong, he played great but the reaction is absolutely nauseating

The problem is, until someone can stop that, it's pretty remarkable. But Syracuse was not equipped for that. As you said without their best play maker, and Chuckw had the most absurd foul trouble I've seen this year. 3 fouls in like the first 8 minutes? Picks up his 4th within a few minutes of the 2nd half. Syracuse was two men down, and an already bad team.

What this tells me is that Zion is pretty legit, but Duke still has a lot of flaws.

Don’t forget Barrett was the presumptive #1 player in his class and supposed to be the #1 player in the draft and that isn’t happening now. Some draft boards have him sliding to #6-#8 because of how he looked without Zion.

Reactions: mattrudd
The problem is, until someone can stop that, it's pretty remarkable. But Syracuse was not equipped for that. As you said without their best play maker, and Chuckw had the most absurd foul trouble I've seen this year. 3 fouls in like the first 8 minutes? Picks up his 4th within a few minutes of the 2nd half. Syracuse was two men down, and an already bad team.

What this tells me is that Zion is pretty legit, but Duke still has a lot of flaws.

I certainly like our odds if we get dook in Louisville.

Don’t forget Barrett was the presumptive #1 player in his class and supposed to be the #1 player in the draft and that isn’t happening now. Some draft boards have him sliding to #6-#8 because of how he looked without Zion.

I can promise you RJ isn’t going lower than #3. He only slid down because Duke’s player development worked wonders for Zion and skyrocketed him to his current status.

I can promise you RJ isn’t going lower than #3. He only slid down because Duke’s player development worked wonders for Zion and skyrocketed him to his current status.
(1) Um....no. Zion is a physical freak of nature. Duke’s “player development” had very little to do with it.
(2) I will take that bet. Zion and Morant are going ahead of him. Only one more player needs to jump him to win this argument. But we will see in a couple months.

Barrett is not likeable but he is a stud. The kid gets to the basket and finishes as well as anyone. Duke's only problem is they rely on 3 guys solely. In the event 2 of the 3 are off....they are extremely beatable. With just Zion and Barrett clicking they are going to be a tough out. I can't stand Duke and hope they lose every game but I am a realist.

Barrett is not likeable but he is a stud. The kid gets to the basket by pushing off as well as anyone. Duke's only problem is they rely on 3 guys solely. In the event 2 of the 3 are off....they are extremely beatable. With just Zion and Barrett clicking they are going to be a tough out. I can't stand Duke and hope they lose every game but I am a realist.

Fixed it for you.

When they face a officiating crew that will call it like the crew did when they played UNC last weekend he will be in foul trouble.

(1) Um....no. Zion is a physical freak of nature. Duke’s “player development” had very little to do with it.
(2) I will take that bet. Zion and Morant are going ahead of him. Only one more player needs to jump him to win this argument. But we will see in a couple months.

(1) Nope, Zion was the same athlete in high school and people still had EJ Montgomery and Bol Bol ahead of him. Gotta give it to Jon Scheyer for teaching Zion how to box out and make a chest pass.
(2) what you want to bet? How about loser buys and ships the winner his favorite pie?

You seemed to be sticking your chest out about RJ getting a triple double. We had a guy get 2 That was the point
I’m not sticking my chest out. I’m defending RJ against unfair criticism. My point is all triple doubles aren’t created equal. Fox was a really good player. Barrett is better.

Barrett is as unlikable as Allen was.
I recall his comments after one road win where he said they love wearing the black uniforms because they're going to the other team's funeral (or something along those lines). What an epic douchebag.

Where did he say more athletic than duke? Go back and read it again.
No need. His comment is just a different version of the lazy “someone somewhere will beat Duke” take. It’s just a way to try and take 67 teams versus 1 which is statistically always the right thing to do.

It’s so cute when dook fans come to this board to defend their team. For a brief moment they get to live their dream of participating in a fan base that cares or knows anything about basketball.
We just go where the duke threads are. This is a great board though. It’s crazy how active it is. Respect for that.

Also, stick your arms straight up inside 5 ft. Gonzaga figured defense out against them which is why I Know the zags won't get bounced early. They have a complete team. Not the best team, but experience and shooting go a long way in March
I agree on Gonzaga

Rj Barrett has more points than any freshman in acc history and the 4th triple double in duke history.

Here's @Jpthegame guarding the ACC archives.

DifficultBarrenBumblebee-small.gif

What a crusader of truth he is. I'm sure there's dozens of UK fans questioning themselves today about RJ as a result of Jp's insightful posts.

(1) Nope, Zion was the same athlete in high school and people still had EJ Montgomery and Bol Bol ahead of him. Gotta give it to Jon Scheyer for teaching Zion how to box out and make a chest pass.
(2) what you want to bet? How about loser buys and ships the winner his favorite pie?
Who had EJ ranked ahead of Zion?

You think Jon Sheyer taught Zion to box out and chest pass? o_O LIke, seriously?

Reactions: kyjeff1
What I linked is 247s rankings... so they had EJ rated higher than Zion. In the composite they combine all the major recruiting services.
Technically they have them rated the same with a 99 score, but the composite shows that majority believed Zion was much better than EJ. No rational person was arguing otherwise. Roughly 10 spots better.

No need. His comment is just a different version of the lazy “someone somewhere will beat Duke” take. It’s just a way to try and take 67 teams versus 1 which is statistically always the right thing to do.

Except that no one is touting those other 67 teams as unstoppable forces. Duke is good this year, a title contender for sure. But they're not even close to the hype they're getting.

Except that no one is touting those other 67 teams as unstoppable forces. Duke is good this year, a title contender for sure. But they're not even close to the hype they're getting.
I say give them all the hype. That only intensifies the pressure and makes it all so sweeter when we watch them falter and all the media who adorn and build them into the myth they have become are forced to crumble into their idiotic assertions. And we all get to lay witness. Can I get an Amen? :raised_hands:

Last edited:
I say give them all the hype. That only intensifies the pressure and makes it all so sweeter when we watch them falter and all the media who adorn and build them into the myth they have become are forced to crumble into their idiotic assertions. And we all get to lay witness. :raised_hands:

Works for me. I hope LeHigh snags them again lol

Technically they have them rated the same with a 99 score, but the composite shows that majority believed Zion was much better than EJ. No rational person was arguing otherwise. Roughly 10 spots better.

They had EJ at 5 and Zion at 6. It’s not that big of deal to say they had him rated higher.

There were a few people here saying that as well. It’s hard to remember but before the season started plenty of people were questioning Zion.

They had EJ at 5 and Zion at 6. It’s not that big of deal to say they had him rated higher.

There were a few people here saying that as well. It’s hard to remember but before the season started plenty of people were questioning Zion.
Morons on here think some outrageous shit, I would take it with less than a grain of salt. After all, Kyrie thinks the earth is flat, but I don't assert that all Dukies or many people in general actually accept that as fact.

Morons on here think some outrageous shit, I would take it with less than a grain of salt. After all, Kyrie thinks the earth is flat, but I don't assert that all Dukies or many people in general actually accept that as fact.

Lol the main point is no one had Zion at 1 and the concensus put him around #5. Jon Scheyer and K changed all that.

Nothing at Duke is ever organic or real, is it? That has to infuriate you guys, deep down. For all that hype and all that success to feel so manufactured and hollow, I'm not sure I could do it.

Nah, i’m pretty satisfied. Definitely not infuriated. A poor polish kid from the mean streets of Chicago building the program up to where it is now is tremendous and heart warming.

Lol the main point is no one had Zion at 1 and the concensus put him around #5. Jon Scheyer and K changed all that.
Duke nor Sheyer had anything to do with it. If anything they have hurt Zion by not forcing him to improve his biggest deficiency of shooting. He already did everything else well above average. Zion was ranked a bit low, but hell look at J Morant from Murray St. That kid was severely under ranked and truly did improve from coaching and development. If Duke and Sheyer could develop players, why are Bolden, DeLaurier, O'Connell, Goldwire and so on still useless?

Duke nor Sheyer had anything to do with it. If anything they have hurt Zion by not forcing him to improve his biggest deficiency of shooting. He already did everything else well above average. Zion was ranked a bit low, but hell look at J Morant from Murray St. That kid was severely under ranked and truly did improve from coaching and development. If Duke and Sheyer could develop players, why are Bolden, DeLaurier, O'Connell, Goldwire and so on still useless?

Lol, again I’m joking. But fwiw Zion is shooting 37% from three since conference play started.

So if you don't like it, leave. It's that simple.

You're here to defend Duke and you obviously can't handle it when someone posts something that isn't "Duke is going to kill everyone".

The truth is, he was spot on. A team with size and good shooting is probably what's going to do Duke in this year and I think you realize it, that's why you're getting all butthurt. You thought Duke was going to blow the field away and now reality is setting in. Duke is RJ, Zion, Jones and a bunch of Joe's and it's eating you up.

Did you expect a bunch of positive praise when you came over here today???

What, ESPN isn't enough for you? Are you kidding me? It's all ESPN does is talk about Zion and Duke.

If you don't want to read negative comments about Duke, don't surf non Duke boards ya moron.

Reactions: silentsaregolden2.0
Here's @Jpthegame guarding the ACC archives.

DifficultBarrenBumblebee-small.gif

What a crusader of truth he is. I'm sure there's dozens of UK fans questioning themselves today about RJ as a result of Jp's insightful posts.
And he "chose poorly".

Don't drink out of the pretty gold cup JP, don't do it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT