ADVERTISEMENT

Rip Currents

WayneDougan

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
Has anyone ever been in one? Staying afloat in the ocean is pretty easy, so I'm assuming you start to panic and that's what leads to the death of good swimmers. But what's it actually like?

Was in the panhandle last week (Mexico beach) and the waves were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on the Gulf side, but you still were able to get in the water there. I read it was awful in PCB/Destin.

I think it’s one of those things that’s easier said than done. “Swim parallel to the shore” sounds cake until you feel like you’re being sucked under water.

I have. It sucked. I would be dead if it was today and how out-of-shape I am compared to when I was 15.

It's been so long but what I do remember is you really don't have a choice to swim straight so I just followed the current and tried to cut back into it diagonally until I could feel sand. Probably too stupid at the time to realize how close I was to drowning because it took every bit of energy to work back in.

Damn. Gone too soon.

11-2-760x380.jpg

I have. When I was a kid at Myrtle Beach. Swimming on a day that had been stormy. Big waves galore.

I was about 8. If my dad didn’t grab me by the trunks and pull me to him I would be dead. We were relatively close to shore.

I have a great respect for the ocean.

Reactions: JDHoss
Yeah we used to get them in Kiawah island and my brother and I were stupid and thought it was funny every time we ended up .5 mile from where we went in by the parents. They’re wild.

Knew a guy who was swimming with his friend and they got caught in one in the Destin area. His friend was bigger than him and started to really struggle. This guy has lifeguard experience and did some move where he got him on his back. They made it to a sandbar for a breather. Then a wave swept his friend back out.

He had to decide to search or swim back in. He went in and the lifeguard told him that they can’t do anything. He thought his friend was a goner. Fortunately the friend made it out and was way down the beach.

Those things are no joke. Obey the warning flags

Reactions: roguemocha
Yes, you get behind them and put your arm around their neck and under their armpit like a high school wrestling headlock and swim back that way they can’t grab you or anything.

Best thing to do is stay upright and let it pull you out till the current kicks you out the draft of the suck, you should be good if you can swim halfway decent after that but just remember those opportunity feeders are always on the edge of rip for easy pickings 🍺

Has anyone ever been in one? Staying afloat in the ocean is pretty easy, so I'm assuming you start to panic and that's what leads to the death of good swimmers. But what's it actually like?

Imagine trying to swim vertically up Niagara Falls. And no, staying afloat in a rip current is not easy when you are getting hit by 3' or higher swells and you can't move.

I've done a ton of ocean swimming over the years and I've been in two rip currents...one in Aguadilla, PR and another one in the Gulf. Being a good swimmer won't help you if you try to fight the ocean. You must know what to actually do.

For God's sake...go with the flow and then tread water parallel to the beach. Relax as much as possible. Relax and keep your head above water but remember it's ok to go under for a bit just relax and grab air when you can. People die when they panic and look the beach is right there surely if I try hard enough I'll make it. No - you won't no matter how strong you are.

Caught a bad one in Santa Cruz when I lived in Cali. Wasn't surfing (pretty hostile scene there) but, yeah, like they say, don't fight it and you'll hit land/shallow eventually.

A lot of folks, who consider themselves strong swimmers (and they might be, in a POOL) find out, sometimes,too late, how huge of a difference ocean swimming is. IOW, if you're not positive you can swim for an hour out there, don't go past your f***ing waist.

Throw on some training flippers and you can have fun swimming against them but you better be real comfortable in the water and a really strong swimmer.

Which is about 2 percent of the people that go swimming in the ocean on vacation...

Caught a bad one in Santa Cruz when I lived in Cali. Wasn't surfing (pretty hostile scene there) but, yeah, like they say, don't fight it and you'll hit land/shallow eventually.

A lot of folks, who consider themselves strong swimmers (and they might be, in a POOL) find out, sometimes,too late, how huge of a difference ocean swimming is. IOW, if you're not positive you can swim for an hour out there, don't go past your f***ing waist.
What do you mean by a pretty hostile scene?

Wonder if a rip tide was the cause in Destin?

Former NFL and University of Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett died in an apparent drowning incident along Florida's Gulf Coast. He was 35 years old.

I remember being 12 years old at the outer banks the day after a storm with the surf going crazy and my parents just saying “good luck out there”. The hell was wrong with them? [laughing]

• Haha
Reactions: bbonds and JDHoss
I thought surfers are very laid back hang 10 dudes /Jeff Spicoli inclusive types?
Here's a summary of a local Santa Cruz spot.

Man, that would serve my fat ass up like a four-star dinner to whatever was at the end. I got popped by a rogue wave one time and it thunder f***ed me. I mean doing somersaults under water. I can't imagine if it had decided to drag outward.

Reactions: JDHoss
I'm perfectly content to swim in mountain lakes... and just go into the ocean up to my waste.

Was in the panhandle last week (Mexico beach) and the waves were unlike anything I’ve ever seen on the Gulf side, but you still were able to get in the water there. I read it was awful in PCB/Destin.

I think it’s one of those things that’s easier said than done. “Swim parallel to the shore” sounds cake until you feel like you’re being sucked under water.
Has Mexico Beach rebuilt since the hurricane devastation from a few years back? I went there once about 15 years ago and it was the quietest most relaxing beach trip I have ever been on. Back then you had to go to PCB to eat though because other than a Subway, pizza place and Toucan's there wasn't' much of anything in Mexico Beach.

Has Mexico Beach rebuilt since the hurricane devastation from a few years back? I went there once about 15 years ago and it was the quietest most relaxing beach trip I have ever been on. Back then you had to go to PCB to eat though because other than a Subway, pizza place and Toucan's there wasn't' much of anything in Mexico Beach.
Rebuilt but not back like it was. Still stuff under construction. Basically the same food wise… a few seafood trucks, subway, a pizza place.

Port St. Joe has a lot of places about 15 min down the road.

We’ve started going every year… love the relaxation and lack of stress involved in going there

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT