ADVERTISEMENT

Rings of Power series on Amazon in Sept

First half of the finale was great. Second half was entertaining but we'll off canon. I don't get why they made the departures they did since they could've gotten to the same place anyway.

The stranger not revealed but heavily hinted. If it isn't another curve ball, will be very disappointing.

Not sure it gives me much confidence for next season being very good.

Halbrand being Sauron was an easy guess. It was obvious from the beginning. I do wonder what actor will play him next season. I do wonder why they strayed from the Canon about not making the other rings at the same time. My question now is which wizard is the stranger?

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Halbrand being Sauron was an easy guess. It was obvious from the beginning. I do wonder what actor will play him next season. I do wonder why they strayed from the Canon about not making the other rings at the same time. My question now is which wizard is the stranger?

I thought it was too but still really really enjoyed that reveal. At least up to the point where galadriel lied about it which I thought was way off. If anyone would've lied about that, it would've been celebrimbor.

After sleeping on it, I think the follow your nose was a misdirection. At least it better be. From what I understand, it's pretty unambiguous that gandalf did not venture east. So I think the fact they were heading east into rhune should indicate it isn't him. Nevermind this is too early for his arrival. Hopefully it's one of the blues. I did think the forest battle was awesome

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
They evidently don't understand why he tricks them into making the 7 and the 9 and then he just goes off at the end to make the one even though he wasn't sure the elves would go through with making their ring(s).

Even when they tried to lead us to believe Starman was Sauron, it was pretty clear it was a mislead. At that point, there was no doubt Halabrand was Sauron. The creation of the rings was a little goofy, I thought. Maybe a crown? And, these rings save the Elves? So, why did Sauron bolt? Why not put Galadriel under a spell and then disguise himself as another elf so he could nab the rings? Is he now inspired to make the remaining rings?

Even when they tried to lead us to believe Starman was Sauron, it was pretty clear it was a mislead. At that point, there was no doubt Halabrand was Sauron. The creation of the rings was a little goofy, I thought. Maybe a crown? And, these rings save the Elves? So, why did Sauron bolt? Why not put Galadriel under a spell and then disguise himself as another elf so he could nab the rings? Is he now inspired to make the remaining rings?

Just a hopeful guess, but hopefully he fled when he realized he was discovered and galadriel rejected his proposal. Hopefully his next approach will be using the annatar persona that the literature tells us he used to trick celebrimbor.

I haven't had time yet to look at any takes on the departure from cannon. Iirc celebrimbor made the three elvish rings more or less in secret I just don't recall where in the timeline they were made in relation to the others.

I haven't had time yet to look at any takes on the departure from cannon. Iirc celebrimbor made the three elvish rings more or less in secret I just don't recall where in the timeline they were made in relation to the others.
Sauron tricked the Elves into making the 7 and 9. Once the Elves did that he left and returned to Mordor to make the One to control them. In that time the 3 were made without his help and in secret. What Sauron did not count on was how perceptive the Elves were and when he put on the one ring they immediately knew what he was up to and removed their rings. Sauron then starts a giant war to invade Eragion and take the rings.

I know there are alot of haters but I thought the show was solid. Hopefully there is more action next season though. I like the potential going forward

Last edited:
I thought the show was visually stunning and believe there is enough good for the second season to improve upon. If the writers take some of the constructive criticism seriously, I think they can cut out some of the disappointments.

Season One review of the Rings of Power

I went into this show with as much of an open mind as I could. Despite being a massive Tolkien fan, I didn't watch any of the trailers or really pay much attention to the lead up. I was wary though. Spoilers are ahead.

The good:

-I thought it started off strong with the brief recap of the first age which was done really well given the limited access they had to that time frame.

-In the episode with the battle between the orcs and the farmers the tactics used be both sides were actually really smart. Most fantasy battles are just run in hack anyone you see and hope your side does the most hacking.

-Arondir is the best character in the show. He is the only elf that acts like an elf. He genuinely cares for these people despite them not being his own. He treats Galadriel with the reverence that a elf of her station deserves.

-Elrond and Durin's friendship is endearing. It is a good representation of how the dwarves and elves used to be friendly with each other.

-The visuals are incredible. Obviously it looks like most of their 1 billion went there. If you were only interested in shiny objects then you might consider this the best show ever.

The bad:

-The harefoots bring nothing to the table. They are at best boring and at worst hypocritical psychopaths. They give speeches about sticking together but the are all to willing to leave their own behind to certain death and later laugh about it. If you cut them out of the show it would better it. The writers only seem throw them in because Tolkien. The 2 line don't leave the trail song they sing over and over would make me want to leave the trail and die by wolves.

-They made King Gil-gahad and King Durin dicks because men in power must all be dicks. The queen of Numenor isn't one as she is just stupid and flip flops on her stances repeatedly for no reason other to advance the plot. Gil-gahad is one of the most renown elves ever and they make him a bully even going as far as strong arming Elrond into breaking an oath which is a huge no no Tolkien's world.

-The mystery box trope carries most of the intrigue of the show and that can only go so far. Who is the stranger? Who is Haldar? Worse yet the answers are so telegraphed that you figure them out almost immediately but end up second guessing yourself because they can't be that obvious right? Spoiler: Yes they are.

-The blatant disregard of geography and time in this show is annoying. There is no journey characters go on. They go from point a to point n skipping all points in between. And the fact that is simultaneously the year 200, 1500 and 3400 of the 2nd age means there is nothing to anchor the events to. The show exists in a temporal limbo.

The Ugly:

-The adaptation of the source material is atrocious. The fact they don't have access to a good chunk of the lore and still made a show about the second age is ridiculous. It is a fan fiction rewrite and the stuff they do have access to they manage to mess up anyways.

-Sauron has no plan. Sauron needs no plan. What a terrible antagonist. He basically just spends the entirety of the season being carted around by our unknowing protagonist until he stumbles into the Elves making stuff and suggests some stuff, threatens our protagonist and bounces to Mordor presumably to make the One Ring even though to his knowledge there aren't any other rings to control. In the books he has a very specific plan, executed it but miscalculated the result.

-Galadriel is a problem. She is supposed to be our protagonist but she is so stupid, arrogant and unbearable that it is really hard to root for her. She is the oldest and wisest elf in middle earth at this time yet you would never know it from what they show. She is the granddaughter of the original high- king making her royal beyond royal yet the rest of the Elves treat her like a low elf. She spent centuries in an elven royal court but doesn't know how to act or finesse her way in the Numenorean court. She doesn't even suspect Halbrand at all til the end and doesn't say anything once she figures it out. I could go on but this is the wisest elf of the time.

The show is stretched too thin trying to tell stories that take place centuries apart that would warrant shows of their own. Make a show about the Fall of Numenor because it is an incredibly sad story or make a show on the forging of the rings and the war that follows because that is a show by itself. Make a show about the men of the south and their struggles with their dark past and with the rise of a new but old evil again. Just don't do what Amazon did.

Visuals: 9/10
Writing: 3/10
Lore: 1/10
Fun: 3/10

Overall: 3/10

I part with this. It is the first look into the making of the Lord of the Rings all they way back in 2000. I still get goosebumps from this. Note the first thing Peter Jackson says.

Last edited:
I thought the show was visually stunning and believe there is enough good for the second season to improve upon. If the writers take some of the constructive criticism seriously, I think they can cut out some of the disappointments.

With just a few minor tweaks, the show could and should be incredible.

As we prepare for the season finale of Dragon, I look back to Rings and have to say that last episode certainly did not have a finale feel. It really did not make me long for season 2. I know the nerds want to see the rings being made, but the reveal on Sauron was not a shock. The writers dropped the ball by not dropping an unexpected bomb. Instead, it was all very predictable. The Starman battle was good and then it was ho-hum. They teased the Balrog in the prior episode and then just left him there stewing over the leaf!!! He is probably still loaded about the leaf!!! Cliffhanger!!

With the amount of money paid for this show, they should have spent more on the writing. The script for season 1 gets a 5 out of 10 for me. Some good moments, but a lot of crappy dialogue and not enough of the wow.

As we prepare for the season finale of Dragon, I look back to Rings and have to say that last episode certainly did not have a finale feel. It really did not make me long for season 2. I know the nerds want to see the rings being made, but the reveal on Sauron was not a shock. The writers dropped the ball by not dropping an unexpected bomb. Instead, it was all very predictable. The Starman battle was good and then it was ho-hum. They teased the Balrog in the prior episode and then just left him there stewing over the leaf!!! He is probably still loaded about the leaf!!! Cliffhanger!!

With the amount of money paid for this show, they should have spent more on the writing. The script for season 1 gets a 5 out of 10 for me. Some good moments, but a lot of crappy dialogue and not enough of the wow.

Speaking of the money, I have no idea how they ran up such a tab. It certainly didn't look like a show that spent that kind of money

I'd like to know how 2 dudes who have never run a show in their lives and have very few credits to their names got the helm of a billion dollar TV show based on one of the most beloved IPs in the history of fiction. How does that even happen?

I'd like to know how 2 dudes who have never run a show in their lives and have very few credits to their names got the helm of a billion dollar TV show based on one of the most beloved IPs in the history of fiction. How does that even happen?

That's an excellent question

They had zero credits. they wrote for Bad Robot for years. Wrote like 10 scripts and none of them made it to a screen of any size. Lindsey Weber hired them based on JJ Abrams recommendation. She wanted someone she could run over and tell what to do because she wasn't interested in the art of a Tolkien story.

• Angry
Reactions: ukwizard

Finally got around to watching the last couple of episodes and would agree.

Thought the show was just okay and that the writing was the weakest part. In particular, I thought that the Galadriel storyline was poorly written in terms of plot, dialogue and characterization. Still trying to wrap my head around how the same writers can fumble that storyline but then also be capable of writing parts that I thought were pretty good (e.g., Elrond and the Dwarves, Arondir’s character).

Maybe they’ll tighten up the writing for season 2, but who knows.

Speaking of the money, I have no idea how they ran up such a tab. It certainly didn't look like a show that spent that kind of money

They did spend a lot, but those numbers are also are a bit inflated. If I remember correctly, a little over one fourth of the money went to simply securing the rights.

And of the actual production costs, a sizable portion of that went towards building things that will be used across all 5 seasons. So that amount should be divided by 5 to arrive at the portion that should be allocated to season 1.

It still ends up being a big number, but I can see how they would spend that much given the look of the show. For the most part, I thought it looked pretty good outside of a couple of scenes.

23 executive producers. You could pay writers or producers. The producers voted to pay producers.

Often times, Executive Producers aren’t paid anything at all.

A good friend of mine’s father has 3 EP credits, but he had no involvement with the actual production of those films nor did he receive any payment for being an EP (outside of recouping a small investment on one of them). Often, an EP credit is the film equivalent of a university handing out an honorary degree to someone.

EP credits are frequently handed out as a way to acknowledge and thank someone who helped in some way. In the case of my friend’s dad, he was listed as an EP because he chipped in early funding for one of the projects and helped facilitate some introductions/meetings that were crucial to getting the other two projects green-lit, but that was the extent of his involvement.

EDIT: realized this post might come across as me being a “know it all”, and that wasn’t my intent. Only reason I know this is because years ago, I happened to ask “what the hell does an executive producer do?” when I was over at my friend’s house. I can’t remember what movie they had on, but the credits started rolling and there were an insane amount of producers, executive producers, supervising producers, etc. Just figured I’d share in case you were interested.

Last edited:
Good news. All the male directors have been fired from ROP and season 2 will have an all female directors. Whew! I was afraid they wouldn't try to fix this and instead go more woke. LOL.

A few actors have left the show and a couple female writers have also been brought on. You males are going to love this or be called sexist.

ADVERTISEMENT