ADVERTISEMENT

Rick Pitino getting slaughtered in Pan AM games

Although it works both ways, but Louisville fans screamed from the rooftops that Rick was "just" a motivator when he was at Kentucky, and nothing more.

Now, he's at Louisville and he's a damn rocket science when it comes to X's and O's, according to them.

Is he a good coach? Yes, not great; good. Just like Cal.

I always thought that Rick was good at taking away the offense of the opposing team's best player. But, that is also the reason that he can't beat Cal. It is because we have more talent at every position and when he shuts down one player, the others pick up the slack. As far as coaching an offense, RP is just average. Most of his offense was transition stuff after turning you over. It was revolutionary back in the 90's, where you press and shoot a lot of 3's. It doesn't get him much mileage, now, since a lot of teams play full court pressure defense.

I bet UofL is so pissed that Ramsay will use that huge salary to buy Puerto Rico and make it a UofL community college for making Rick look bad.

tumblr_np2ht3tTjX1rp0vkjo1_500.gif

Great performance Rick!!!!

Reactions: ArmyWildcat81
In fairness, the post you're referring to also speaks in the present tense. We're a long way from the 90's. Rick's golden days as a coach was 19 years ago.

Lol he just won a title in 2013. Come on guys, I hate UL too but good grief.

@brianpoe see what i mean?

Is he a good coach? Yes, not great; good. Just like Cal.

They are both in the Hall of Fame. They both deserve to be in the Hall of Fame. Unless your list of great coaches only has a few names on it, they both qualify.

Pitino is not the coach he once was. Difference is consistency. Every year at UK he was in the top 10 and a real threat to win the title. At uofl that's only true every once in a while. He's not as great as he once was, but he's a great coach......

....wow, more factual evidence that RP isn't as great a coach as 'Planet Red' makes him out to be. I'm sure they'll ignore this completely...just like they do his 1-7 record against Cal.
Team USA looks mediocre. Not a one of these guys will play in the Olympic s. Makeshift roster.

Lol he just won a title in 2013. Come on guys, I hate UL too but good grief.

With Louisville's best team in 25 years, with a possibility of being their best team that they've had even further in history, as far as statistics go.
Rick isn't the coach that he was at UK. Kentucky did as much for him as he did for Kentucky.

CUT-NETS, sometimes, I think most here wish that your alter ego would overtake your actual personality.

It'll suffice for this event, but Team USA's Olympic roster is always stacked with the best in the NBA.

I'm not sure it will suffice or not as far as winning the gold or not in this tourney. That said, there are not a lot of good teams so maybe it will. It is a meaningless tourney anyways.

As you said, next year the real Team USA will be on display and dominate once again IMO.

With Louisville's best team in 25 years, with a possibility of being their best team that they've had even further in history, as far as statistics go.
Rick isn't the coach that he was at UK. Kentucky did as much for him as he did for Kentucky.

CUT-NETS, sometimes, I think most here wish that your alter ego would overtake your actual personality.

So does that mean that Cal's not a great coach since 2012 was one of the best teams of the modern era, not to mention they had the #1 and #2 draft picks?

Bottom line, Pitino is one of the best coaches in the game. To try and say otherwise is just spewing hate. The guy can coach. Quit being stupid.

I'll agree that he can coach.... but he's had his share of brain farts in big games. 1992 Elite 8... Put Riddick in front of Hill and the shot doesn't happen.

Recruiting.....he's nowhere near Cal in that department.

I'll agree that he can coach.... but he's had his share of brain farts in big games. 1992 Elite 8... Put Riddick in front of Hill and the shot doesn't happen.

Recruiting.....he's nowhere near Cal in that department.

I don't think anyone in here is trying to compare Rick to Cal. Rick can't sniff Cal in recruiting right now. No dispute there.

@Rhavicc was trying to act like Pitino's best coaching days were 19 years ago. Thats just plain stupid. He was in the final four in 2012, won the title in 2013, and had an elite 8 game go down to the wire in 2015. Its about the dumbest thing Ive ever read on here to say his best coaching days were 19 years ago. I hate UL more than any program around but i mean damn thats dumb.

I don't think anyone in here is trying to compare Rick to Cal. Rick can't sniff Cal in recruiting right now. No dispute there.

@Rhavicc was trying to act like Pitino's best coaching days were 19 years ago. Thats just plain stupid. He was in the final four in 2012, won the title in 2013, and had an elite 8 game go down to the wire in 2015. Its about the dumbest thing Ive ever read on here to say his best coaching days were 19 years ago. I hate UL more than any program around but i mean damn thats dumb.

Statistics say that his best coaching days were at Kentucky. I don't argue with statistics because they're factual. The statistics say that he won just over 78% of his games at Kentucky, and had one of the most dominant teams in history. That has declined since being at Louisville, so yes, I believe it's perfectly fair to say that his best days are behind him.
If you don't like that, that's fine with me. I don't care, but don't try to insult my intelligence.
Also, you should read more of the bull$#!# that you post daily. Majority of it is stupid beyond measure.

Matt said this morning that Pitino commented after the game that his UL team could beat the PR team by 15. Wow.

Surprised he hasn't broken out one of his hyperbolic "Best team to...." statements.

...this time as the coach of the Puerto Rican team.

After 2 losses by an average of 32.5 points... RP: "My team at Louisville could beat this Puerto Rican team by 15 points."

...that oughtta motivate them, Ricky.

Not sure how many games are left to play for this Puerto Rico team, but at this rate, this is turning into a brilliant work of comedy with regard to the 'great' RP.

Reactions: Anthony B
An example of what I was talking about earlier regarding the typical uofl fan view on coaching:

"Can Calapari coach? Yes. Is he a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? A coach on par with the CRP, Tom Izzo, Coach K, Bo Ryan and guys like that? Guys who hold jobs on the level of the UK job? Of course not. Is he a hall of fame coach? Of course not. If he were he'd admit his real goal is to win another national championship but that he fell short. He's a salesman selling a dream and doing it very successfully."

This card fan is part of the lower tier of the human genetic pool.. that is if it/he/she is a human being....

Matt said this morning that Pitino commented after the game that his UL team could beat the PR team by 15. Wow.

Surprised he hasn't broken out one of his hyperbolic "Best team to...." statements.

On the other hand, it is par for the course of him throwing his players under the bus.

So does that mean that Cal's not a great coach since 2012 was one of the best teams of the modern era, not to mention they had the #1 and #2 draft picks?

Bottom line, Pitino is one of the best coaches in the game. To try and say otherwise is just spewing hate. The guy can coach. Quit being stupid.

Well all that I can say go start pulling for Louisville ,you already pulling for Pitino.

BY Little Brother!

Statistics say that his best coaching days were at Kentucky. I don't argue with statistics because they're factual. The statistics say that he won just over 78% of his games at Kentucky, and had one of the most dominant teams in history. That has declined since being at Louisville, so yes, I believe it's perfectly fair to say that his best days are behind him.

he's still an excellent coach, but for some reason he can't seem to bring in the talent the way he did at uk. if he were to land recruiting classes consistently like cal, k, self or miller he would maintain that win percentage. i'm surprised that he hasn't been able to land more blue chip players since going to ul.

[sick]h

he's a POS..forget Coaching deal with his slimy morals wake up.[sick]

I watched some of that game last night and it looked painfully obvious that there was a big divide between Pitino and his players. They'd look the other way when he was jawing at them, and in the second half basically just quit playing defense, it was ugly.

Maybe Pitino's act only works with college kids. Older grown ass professionals ain't putting up with it. Apparently the Celtics thought he was a joke, and looked like these PR players regard him similarly.

It's about time for R.P. to fade away into the sunset so that he can avoid receiving so many beat downs like this.

Bitchslap-Rick-2_zpst9sywt2p.gif

Reactions: musrat59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT