ADVERTISEMENT

Replay revisionist history

SemperFiCat

All-American
Mar 2, 2009
Central Indy
What meaningful plays, from any team or game, can you think of that would've altered memorable game finishes if they had replay then?

A few non-UK ones come to mind:

1. Fred Brown doesn't pass it right to James Worthy with 7 seconds to go down 1 in the 1982 Finals.
2. Tyus Edney misses his coast to coast shot at the Buzzer against Mizzou in 1995 and UCLA still sits at 10 titles.
3. Gordon Hayward's shot banks in against Duke in the 2010 national championship game and it becomes the greatest shot ever in college basketball.

A few non-UK ones come to mind:

1. Fred Brown doesn't pass it right to James Worthy with 7 seconds to go down 1 in the 1982 Finals.
2. Tyus Edney misses his coast to coast shot at the Buzzer against Mizzou in 1995 and UCLA still sits at 10 titles.
3. Gordon Hayward's shot banks in against Duke in the 2010 national championship game and it becomes the greatest shot ever in college basketball.
I was actually talking about outcomes being reversed because a pivotal play went to replay and got reversed.

Reactions: BlueSince92
A couple non-basketball ones that come to mind:

The 1985 World Series.

The Steelers, instead of the Oilers, reaching (and winning) the 79 Super Bowl.

Both of those would’ve likely had different outcomes if instant replay had been available to reverse obvious and indisputably blown calls (ie. Denkinger calling a clear out safe in WS Game 6 and Renfro’s clearly in bounds TD catch ruled out in the AFC title game).

Reactions: Fox2monk
kentucky-vs-florida-overtime-play-clock.png

How would instant replay have changed that?

Read the thread topic, people.
I read it as

What meaningful plays, from any team or game, can you think of that would've altered memorable game finishes if they had to replay them?

As in, if the plays had to be done over again.

PARDON ME!

I read it as

What meaningful plays, from any team or game, can you think of that would've altered memorable game finishes if they had to replay them?

Well, I get that's how you misread it. But that's not what the OP's post actually says. Instead, it says this:

What meaningful plays, from any team or game, can you think of that would've altered memorable game finishes if they had replay then?

I think we can agree these mean distinctly different things.

Reactions: fisherscatfan
Well, I get that's how you misread it. But that's not what the OP's post actually says. Instead, it says this:

Well obviously, have you never misread something? Your response made it sound like I intentionally was derailing.

After further review (or 'replay', if you will) I could have worded it better. I take responsibility.

Reactions: UK90
Well obviously, have you never misread something? Your response made it sound like I intentionally was derailing.

Dude, chill out. It was just meant as a lighthearted response. I was implying nothing of the sort about you.

And, yes I’ve also had misreading moments, and I don’t mind being corrected when I do.

For UK, the shot clock violation that wasn't called against Wisconsin comes to mind. That no call was followed by 2 bad calls against us. If even one of those was overturned, it may have changed the outcome.

(Lyles was called for a charge and Harrison was called for a foul giving Wisconsin 2 FT's. Harrison never touched the shooter. Lyles made a common play I've seen over and over that wasn't called a charge.)

Last edited:
Does anyone remember a game years ago when we were playing at UT and they missed a FT intentionally and either sent the game to OT or won in regulation? As I recall, there were multiple violations missed in the sequence of events including a lane violation. Replay would hae given us a W.

Dude, chill out. It was just meant as a lighthearted response. I was implying nothing of the sort about you.

And, yes I’ve also had misreading moments, and I don’t mind being corrected when I do.
Which would have been fine, but the "I think we can agree they mean distinctly different things@ on your second reply cannot be seen as anything other than heavy snark.

There are a few

1 - Laettner gets tossed for the stomp (or Timberlake beats the soup out of him)
2 - Shot clock in '15
3 - Reviews of all Higgins calls in '17
4 - A few calls in the UConn travesty of 2014 too. The charge on Poythress when we were getting momentum was an atrocious call. Also the infamous flop in front of Higgins

1975, UK v ucla In Wooden’s last game. Grevey is fouled and wooden run almost to mid court screaming about the call. Any other coach would have got a T if not ejected.

Reactions: TexKat
Nazr Mohammed makes just one of his missed free throws near the end of regulation in the 97 championship game and we win it in regulation.

Reactions: Wonky
4 - A few calls in the UConn travesty of 2014 too. The charge on Poythress when we were getting momentum was an atrocious call. Also the infamous flop in front of Higgins

That Napier flop in front of Higgins actually occurred in the 2011 UConn FF game. If you watch the gif you’ll see it’s Darius Miller who was called for the foul. So Higgins actually screwed us in 2011, 2014, 2015, AND 2017. That’s why fans had enough. I will go to my grave believing Higgins maliciously influenced every single one of those games for his own benefit.

There are a few

1 - Laettner gets tossed for the stomp (or Timberlake beats the soup out of him)
2 - Shot clock in '15
3 - Reviews of all Higgins calls in '17
I sat fairly close to that Poythress call. It was criminal. He should have had an and-one but instead ......

Nazr Mohammed makes just one of his missed free throws near the end of regulation in the 97 championship game and we win it in regulation.
Replay doesn't change the outcome of a missed free throw .... but yeah, those are haunting. Just like T-Jones against UConn in the 2011 Final Four, and PJ Washington against Kansas State.

That Napier flop in front of Higgins actually occurred in the 2011 UConn FF game. If you watch the gif you’ll see it’s Darius Miller who was called for the foul. So Higgins actually screwed us in 2011, 2014, 2015, AND 2017. That’s why fans had enough. I will go to my grave believing Higgins maliciously influenced every single one of those games for his own benefit.
100% agree. And it's crazy that so many think it's not possible to genuinely believe that. I've often wondered if it was any other program how that would be discussed. Or, at least a program that is not disliked by so many.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
A couple non-basketball ones that come to mind:

The 1985 World Series.

The Steelers, instead of the Oilers, reaching (and winning) the 79 Super Bowl.

Both of those would’ve likely had different outcomes if instant replay had been available to reverse obvious and indisputably blown calls (ie. Denkinger calling a clear out safe in WS Game 6 and Renfro’s clearly in bounds TD catch ruled out in the AFC title game).
I remember that call against St. Louis. I was rooting for KC, but the Cards were robbed in that game.

That true! My bad, my brain autopiloted that one.

I think the man has a serious legitimate hatred for Cal.

I remember someone during the 2017 screw job against UNCCheat saying Cal was yelling at him "this isn't the time or the place" and "don't screw the kids over like this" or something to that effect and they said Higgins was on the court laughing like a sophomore. Maybe it was Rex, can't really remember

Epps took a charge at the very end of regulation against Arizona in the championship game in 97 that should have got him free throws and sealed the game. Refs ignored it.

Reactions: downw/ball-lineD
I remember that call against St. Louis. I was rooting for KC, but the Cards were robbed in that game.
Yep, and that would’ve won the World Series for St. Louis in six games. Instead KC ends up winning in seven.

And, btw, another I just thought of that ended up determining a championship was the notorious “5th down” Colorado football got against Missouri in 1990. If replay had reversed that laughable blunder, Colorado loses that game and doesn’t later get voted that season’s AP national champion.

It still amazes me that not a single person on that officiating crew realized that Colorado had already used up its four downs.

Reactions: Elliott Tim
Yep, and that would’ve won the World Series for St. Louis in six games. Instead KC ends up winning in seven.

And, btw, another I just thought of that ended up determining a championship was the notorious “5th down” Colorado football got against Missouri in 1990. If replay had reversed that laughable blunder, Colorado loses that game and doesn’t later get voted that season’s AP national champion.

It still amazes me that not a single person on that officiating crew realized that Colorado had already used up its four downs.

Colorado’s coach at the time was aligned with the Crips and recruited gang members actively. Refs were probably scared as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT