ADVERTISEMENT

Reed's Decision...Ramifications For Pope And UK!

Portal guards, especially potential PG's, NOW KNOW there is definitely one more opening on UK's starting five because none of these portals were taking Reed's PG spot if he came back to UK for another year!!!!

Everyone should have known that Reed to the NBA draft had to realistically happen, really only decision to be made due to the amount of lottery money on the table!!!!

Just made Pope’s job look like the mountains in Utah, and JVC have an orgasam! He'll sit with JVC in the green room and get his digs in at UK fans and the administration. If Reed cares as much as he says he'll tell Calipari thanks , but no thanks
I think that is big overreaction. I’m guessing this was known from the beginning, but Sheppards wanted to finalize their research.

Pope needed to finalize this decision for recruiting reasons. Teams are all about PR right now. I’m guessing good news starts trickling out over weekend and more over the next 5-7 days. UK will sign a solid 6-7 players, then leave some room for the next round of transfers after they pull out of NBA draft.

Just made Pope’s job look like the mountains in Utah, and JVC have an orgasam! He'll sit with JVC in the green room and get his digs in at UK fans and the administration. If Reed cares as much as he says he'll tell Calipari thanks , but no thanks
Calipari derangement syndrome. He hasn’t played a second for Pope and you want him to not let Cal sit with him draft night. Jesus Christ dude. Accept the fact we are mid for now and in line 3-4 years be back.

This was 100% decided before Pope came. Know how I know? Because they put on the Reed Sheppard Experience at Rupp in less than a week. Like they thought of it just two weeks ago and scheduled it for last Thursday. Actually, I just looked it up. He scheduled this before it was announced Cal was leaving.

Reed wouldn’t have done that if he didn’t know he was going pro.

Reactions: NostraDanis
Did cal sit with his Memphis players at the draft after accepting job at UK? Honestly don’t recall. Does other coaches attend with their players? Don’t recall ever seeing coach K there, Roy Williams, Bill self etc. have watched a few drafts but not many of late so just curious?

Calipari derangement syndrome. He hasn’t played a second for Pope and you want him to not let Cal sit with him draft night. Jesus Christ dude. Accept the fact we are mid for now and in line 3-4 years be back.
Whatever bootlicker. You damn right I don't think JVC should sit at the table.

They're really isn't any ramifications. He was never coming back being a top 5 draft pick. No one in their right mind would come back.

Reactions: blubo and MbergCat
IMO, Reed’s decision is more about getting cash in weak draft year than loyalty to his former coach. Not that it was likely close, but I imagine Reed was more likely to stay and play for his dad’s former roommate than an underachieving supposed hall of fame coach for a second year.

This should’ve been a surprise to no one and believing he would forego the guaranteed NBA millions to return to UK for comparative peanuts was a fantasy. At least it didn’t drag on longer and Pope can move on.

I think cal has really washed over some. There’s no way Reed was a massive lock to the NBA. There are players who return in his position that don’t love the university half as much as him. Flipowski just did it.

I’m not saying chances weren’t he’d go, I’m saying acting like it was never happening period end of story is not how it was. We had a shot to retain Reed.

Reactions: Soupbean
Yet another thread where ppl are projecting their own attitudes and wants.

So only you can know that means whether Reed "cares" or not?

Last edited:
I think cal has really washed over some. There’s no way Reed was a massive lock to the NBA. There are players who return in his position that don’t love the university half as much as him. Flipowski just did it.

I’m not saying chances weren’t he’d go, I’m saying acting like it was never happening period end of story is not how it was. We had a shot to retain Reed.
Filippwski stayed bc he wasn't projected as a 1st rd pick in a lot of mocks much less a lottery pick. Last year was a much better draft.

Even if Reed stayed and was better there's still a chance he wouldn't get drafted as high bc this draft is so weak.

It's the better choice for him...not doing it for Carl from Nonesuch or wherever

Reactions: CrimsonCats
If Reed , a beloved Kentucky boy, the son of two Kentucky Legends , went the road of one and done , what to expect from other players?

The answer is simple: money, money achieved via NBA and portal.

College basketball, with players staying 4 years is dead. The only players that are staying are those that are not good enough to move on.

Just watch a game from the 80s or 90s and current games look like JV because all the good players are gone and there is no continuity.

Reactions: sambowieshin
To my knowledge he was projected a lottery in serious mocks after his freshman season. It’s understandable that Reed is likely to go, but given his fathers position against the OAD, his love for Kentucky, and the fact that he’s not ready at all; there was always a chance he decided on one more year. Plus he could have made millions here so, I just don’t see how there was some guarantee where people were brain dead for thinking it was possible. Reed is the type that would if anyone would do it.
Filippwski stayed bc he wasn't projected as a 1st rd pick in a lot of mocks much less a lottery pick. Last year was a much better draft.

Even if Reed stayed and was better there's still a chance he wouldn't get drafted as high bc this draft is so weak.

It's the better choice for him...not doing it for Carl from Nonesuch or wherever

Reactions: Soupbean
If Reed , a beloved Kentucky boy, the son of two Kentucky Legends , went the road of one and done , what to expect from other players?

The answer is simple: money, money achieved via NBA and portal.

College basketball, with players staying 4 years is dead. The only players that are staying are those that are not good enough to move on.

Just watch a game from the 80s or 90s and current games look like JV because all the good players are gone and there is no continuity.

“Just let them make money on autographs.”

Had to be one of the most out of touch positions I’ve ever seen. At this point, college athletics are completely ruined until they are paid employees with caps and contracts. Eventually the allure of college sports it’s going to subside and collectively it won’t be worth half as much. Athletes are digging their own grave. It’s only still at this level of popularity because of past time. It’s a business model that is doomed to fail. They better figure it out and create avenues where the greed subsides to a respectable level.

I'm surprised he thought about it as long as he did. Must have really been torn up about the decision. As it is, though, still gives us time to recruit the position. He was probably all set to go before Coach Pope was hired. I appreciate him considering staying.

Hope somehow he gets on a good team with a chance to develop further.

Reed S was just another Calipari player.
Good luck in the NBA...the only thing that Calipari and HIS players care about.

We’re the next Indiana. Just got that feeling. I still can’t get on board with pope. Love him but I just don’t think he’s what we needed. I know I’m in the minority but I honestly felt better about Billy g than I do about pope’s hire
Ok good luck with that. We’re HARDLY Indiana, don’t know the roster and haven’t played a &$%# game yet. 🙄

This should’ve been a surprise to no one and believing he would forego the guaranteed NBA millions to return to UK for comparative peanuts was a fantasy. At least it didn’t drag on longer and Pope can move on.
I don’t buy this “we were crazy/he was never coming back” notion simply because we’ve seen Cal players bypass the NBA before. Terrence Jones and Willie Cauley-Stein being the two most obvious examples. His parents both played at UK. Pope was dad’s college roommate. It wasn’t crazy to think he could return.

Reactions: UKNothinButNet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT