ADVERTISEMENT

Reeds comments to Cal after A&M loss

"I'm not sure we're selfish. Each guy is trying to get us back into the game themselves, and we're not as good when we play that way."

Please no “Hero Ball” this tournament, we all know who does it. Play for the name on the front and not the back.
Wait, Reed said this to Cal? Or in typical fashion did you add “Cal” to the title to kick the ant pile? I’m confused.

Last edited:
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
"I'm not sure we're selfish. Each guy is trying to get us back into the game themselves, and we're not as good when we play that way."

Please no “Hero Ball” this tournament, we all know who does it. Play for the name on the front and not the back.
That’s what happens with one and done‘s. Playing for that first round league $$.

Reactions: KFuqua
He can get us really out of whack at times with his shot taking but I’ll say this about the A&M game since I was there. The entire team was passive and didn’t want the ball. It might have been different if we actually ran anything besides a high pick and roll but we didn’t. And we were overall the least agressive team I saw there on defense.

Reactions: BlazerHallsBallsN96
DJ shot the 3 ball well enough at Rupp, 37%

Didn't shoot it great at neutral sites and was extremely awful on the road. 4/13- neutral. 4-25 on the road.

Not that you need to read my posts year after year, but why doesn't Cal tell any of the players during a game what to stop doing when even a blind man can see it isn't working. I thought one of those videos where he is talking to the team was very telling; "Make a play" or "If you are not playing defense or rebounding I can't play you" which must have the team secretly laughing.
Yes, actually I was just pointing out what everyone here knows which is that Cal does not actually do any real coaching. The team and players make the same mistakes all year long.

I would like to see one of the videos that you mentioned. Where could I find them?

Yeah, Dillingham is very talented, very quick, and he usually is better than any guard on the opposing team, IF he could play them one on one. But, of course, he's not facing them one on one. He's facing a team, and that is usually where his "hero ball" gets him (and us) in trouble. When he's getting the ball in good position, he's very good. When he's hot, he's as good as any guard in the nation. But he fouls too much, he turns the ball over too much, tries to make impossible passes too much. Some of that you just have to accept in order to get the great things he can offer, but it's time for him to make better decisions. Learning when to attack and when to defer is something that's difficult to learn. He's gotten better as the season has progressed. The biggest problem I see from him comes when he feels like he must score now for the team to win. When we're behind and he's trying to win us the game, that's when he gets out of control.
He does foul too much, but I think some of the knocks on him are overblown. His assist/TO is almost 2/1. He’s fourth among the regulars in TS %, behind only Reed, Z, and Antonio. All of these guys are elite in that respect.

He isn’t perfect, and maybe we need perfect to win a title. Especially with our defense. But I honestly think the foul issue is the only “real” issue most games. I also think he’s the kind of kid you can correct and re-direct during the course of a game.

DJ, btw, easily has the lowest TS % among the regulars.

Reactions: IL Wildcat
Each of those guys have stepped up in some games that we would have lost The coach is fair game, but 19 year olds ..
They have been some the most inconsistent players on the team. Any coach with amateur experience would make a rotation limiting there mins.

Part of this is on Cal, he doesn't run any types of set offensive patterns, he expects players to go out and make plays, some times they think that is I need to go out and score one on 3 and be the hero.
What offensive sets would you recommend?

He was , but at the same time I thought some of our guys were beginning to “shy away from the moment “ and let him do it. I believe they did at the end of the Tennessee win also .
Dilly was the only one showing any balls that game FR. I didn’t like him trying to win it but nobody was aggressive the last 7 minutes but him. Reed looked like he just wanted to pass the ball honestly.

From reading this, the problem is so clear. The whole team is crap and the HOF coach can be replaced on an internet forum. I'll watch anyway! But man, I'm so glad we got it figured out on here before our first round tourney game! Coulda been ugly!

Reactions: shodaman
To make a deep run in the tournament, Cal needs to make 3 "tweaks" (1) Only Reeves, Sheppard and Dillingham have the green light to shoot.
(2) If your name is not Reeves, Sheppard or Dillingham you need to rebound, play defense, and pass the ball to Reeves, Sheppard or Dillingham.
3) If ANYONE passes the ball to Onyenso, immediately walk over to the bench and get comfortable. :)

What offensive sets would you recommend?
Most well coached teams have pattern offense and set offense. The pattern offense each pass gives that player several options, but the key is, if you actually practice these patterns, everyone on the team has an idea as to what those options are and how to play it. Set offense is usually designed to get the ball to a specific player in specific area because of a mismatch. Which UK does neither of these.

He was , but at the same time I thought some of our guys were beginning to “shy away from the moment “ and let him do it. I believe they did at the end of the Tennessee win also .

I didn't see it as shying away. I saw it as the team leaning on him as their best player.

I think what he says is correct. They’re not doing it for the name on the back. They’re trying to be a hero for their team to win. Not so they can be heralded as a hero.

Winning is the name of the game. I believe they all feel this way.

Please get Wagner, Edwards, Bradshaw and coach Cal off this team so we can win a title.
Edwards isn't costing us games, and he's actually improved throughout the season. Bradshaw played 2 minutes against aTm so he's effectively out of the rotation. I'm indifferent on Wagner. As long as he doesn't try to force threes and sticks to what he's best at like he did earlier in the season, we are a better team. but I think sometimes he just wants to try to prove he can hit threes like his teammates, when that's just not his strength. if he would stick to driving and dishing, he could average 8 assists per game.

When Kentucky trails late, Dillingham has a propensity to try to will us back with wild shots. When it works and he's on, it's fantastic but when he not (like A&M) it can be a reason for UK to lose a game.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
I can’t really think of one game that Dillingham has cost us with his erratic play .

He definitely hasn’t “ruined the momentum” of a game . When he’s struggled usually the entire team has struggled as whole.

I didn't see it as shying away. I saw it as the team leaning on him as their best player.
I didn’t like the body language of some of our players in the second half of this game and the end of the Tennessee game. Looked to me like some of them didn’t want the ball or be the guy that makes a play .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT