ADVERTISEMENT

Reed +/- was 16 without scoring a point

If anyone has any doubts about the relationship Cal and Reed have, well, a picture is worth a thousand words:
Reed is clearly pissed he didn't get 40 minutes.

Reactions: treyforuk
He wasn't played because Cal was willing to lose this game in order to give another player a chance to be a hero.
I both support and am frustrated by this concept.

Frustrated because you want your best playing, your best chance to win EVERY game.

But I also support it because this team has no elite star players. Maybe Edwards can become that, but he has a long ways to go. So we need SEVERAL guys playing well, so if we need to put at risk an early season game or two to get MORE GUYS to performing well, sort of a jump-start, then so be it. I think that, having 6-8 guys we can count on instead of 3-5 helps us in the long run. And our ultimate goal is March.

You ever hit a wrong button before? I think I know watch doesn’t have an x in it but thanks for taking the time to let me know you can spell watch correctly. You win the elementary education award on this forum for the day.
"I would just assumed"? Maybe you meant "I would just as soon"

Highest on the team again. People talking about him getting burned on defense but I don't think he got burned more than anyone else and he clearly was a positive at all times on the floor. I don't understand how you don't play him in the final minutes of any close game.
It was not just Reed who got burnt on defense, if you go back and rewatch the game, and I think Reed more and made up for his mistakes down the stretch with those steals. But Cal has always had a two standard system. His one and done's will rarely if ever get pulled for a mistake.

You don't consider free throws when looking at fg percentage. He is taking way too many shots at this point. I believe tonight was his highest number of shots taken.
It was but 9 is the least amount taken. 5 games is a smallish sample size but I agree I think he’s taking too many forced shots. Not necessarily about the number of overall shots he is taking rather when he chooses to take them. Reed for whatever reason wasn’t looking to pull the trigger last night but Wagner always is. Wagner 64 shots on the year compared to 27 for Reed but Wagner only has 6 more points on the year.

LMD does 2 things, and he does them well. 1st, he tears down players relentlessly. 2nd, he denies it.
Wagner's performance is the only thing tearing him down. My comments are not the reason he is dropping like a rock on NBA mock draft boards.

Last edited:
I think Wagner is a fine player, he is just currently our 4th best guard (Not really debatable) . However i think he is as good as you could hope for in that spot on the depth chart, the problem people are having is he is still playing like a star player. I am fine with DJ taking open shots in the flow of the offense, but there was a possession last night that I thought perfectly summarized fans problems. We got a rebound advanced it up the court quickly to reed and he quickly passed it to Wagner at the top of the key probably 5-7 second into the shot clock. Wagner then proceeded to dance with the ball at the top of the key for 3 seconds before chest passing it to Edwards who chucked up a three immediately and suprising hit it. Now yes we did score on this possession, but it was a perfect example of who kills our offensive ball movement and how. Reed and Rob are so good together because the ball never gets stuck in there hands, this is the same problem we had last year with WHeeler.

TLDR: Wagner like wheeler is trying to run the offense to much on his own instead of just initiate the offense and then become a part of it.

He led the team in points with Reeves, led the team in assists, and shot 7/8 from the line. Sheppard had zero points. We needed every one of DJ's points tonight or else we lose. Exactly what else did you want DJ to do?
I missed what DJ did against Kansas…can you remind us? Or the other night against Stonehill, did he save us with tons of points, anwesome defense and steals?

• Haha
Reactions: LmdCat
I think Wagner is a fine player, he is just currently our 4th best guard (Not really debatable) . However i think he is as good as you could hope for in that spot on the depth chart, the problem people are having is he is still playing like a star player. I am fine with DJ taking open shots in the flow of the offense, but there was a possession last night that I thought perfectly summarized fans problems. We got a rebound advanced it up the court quickly to reed and he quickly passed it to Wagner at the top of the key probably 5-7 second into the shot clock. Wagner then proceeded to dance with the ball at the top of the key for 3 seconds before chest passing it to Edwards who chucked up a three immediately and suprising hit it. Now yes we did score on this possession, but it was a perfect example of who kills our offensive ball movement and how. Reed and Rob are so good together because the ball never gets stuck in there hands, this is the same problem we had last year with WHeeler.

TLDR: Wagner like wheeler is trying to run the offense to much on his own instead of just initiate the offense and then become a part of it.

I just don't think this is a big deal yet, as we're only 5 games into DJ's college career. Wheeler was not only doing this for 2 seasons at UK, but he also had that year or two at Georgia under his belt.

Maybe this IS who DJ is, it's possible.. but I think we owe him a little more time to get into the feel of things, get chewed out by coaching, work with his teammates etc..

Reactions: bbncal02
I missed what DJ did against Kansas…can you remind us? Or the other night against Stonehill, did he save us with tons of points, anwesome defense and steals?
Not sure exactly what type of argument you're trying to make. We're talking about last night's game specifically. Guys have good and bad games and we're lucky we have enough talent where if one guy has a down game the rest of the team can pick up the slack.

The question I've posed a few times since last night remains. If you think Reed should have gotten more time last night who are you putting on the bench instead? All the guards will share minutes all year long unless it's glaringly obvious come February one of them just isn't playing well enough. 25-30 minutes per game is about what they'll all get the rest of the year, and that's how it should be.

I just don't think this is a big deal yet, as we're only 5 games into DJ's college career. Wheeler was not only doing this for 2 seasons at UK, but he also had that year or two at Georgia under his belt.

Maybe this IS who DJ is, it's possible.. but I think we owe him a little more time to get into the feel of things, get chewed out by coaching, work with his teammates etc..
I agree, I think DJ could end up being an necessary piece to this team, Not to mention he is better in just about every aspect of the game than Wheeler. I meant it more in how our offense functions at times. I know wanting to dance with the ball is a common habit that freshman have to break early in the season and am pleasantly surprised that hasn't been a big issue for Dillingham so far as I think many expected. I do think DJ is one of the most vocal guys on the team and is always busting his ass and playing hard.

Off topic: Kind of interesting how all 3 of our Freshman guards play with such distinct energies and I love them all.
Reed- like a robot always moving never looks tired or over his skies
Rob- Energizer Bunny
DJ- absolute dog that is trying to kill you

Reactions: LineSkiCat14

Nah we need to know now so we can have our new player to pick on. It happens every season. Whether its Brooks, Wheeler, Richards, Allen, etc.

• Haha
Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I think the +/- stat is useless if I understand it correctly. It's basically just the difference in the players team scoring vs the opponents scoring when that player is on the floor. You could literally never touch the ball and get a great plus minus while another player could go 10 for 10 shooting, but if the other team scores more during that stretch, that player gets a negative +/-. Unless there is something about how this stat is calculated, its useless in my opinion.

Reactions: LmdCat
Reed isn't focused on stat stuffing. He is looking to do what is necessary to win the game.
Which one of our players is concerned with stat stuffing and are not looking to do what is necessary to win the game?

I didn't mean to start arguments about the other guards. I think DJ is going to be a great player by the end of the year and I hope Edwards is too. I am ok with Reed coming off the bench and the playing time so far has been ok with me as well. Maybe we end up with less injuries.

However, I am not ok with sitting him at the end of regulation or OT in a close game because 1, he always plays hard on D and when he leaves someone it is because he is trying to play help D, 2, he leads the team in steals, 3 I bet he will end up as our best free throw shooter by stats, 4 he makes good passes, good decisions and is a pretty good three point shooter, and 5 we need to try to win every game. Every game counts.

Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
I didn't mean to start arguments about the other guards. I think DJ is going to be a great player by the end of the year and I hope Edwards is too. I am ok with Reed coming off the bench and the playing time so far has been ok with me as well. Maybe we end up with less injuries.

However, I am not ok with sitting him at the end of regulation or OT in a close game because 1, he always plays hard on D and when he leaves someone it is because he is trying to play help D, 2, he leads the team in steals, 3 I bet he will end up as our best free throw shooter by stats, 4 he makes good passes, good decisions and is a pretty good three point shooter, and 5 we need to try to win every game. Every game counts.
If you post at all here your bound to start an argument.

Reactions: UKortho
Not sure exactly what type of argument you're trying to make. We're talking about last night's game specifically. Guys have good and bad games and we're lucky we have enough talent where if one guy has a down game the rest of the team can pick up the slack.

The question I've posed a few times since last night remains. If you think Reed should have gotten more time last night who are you putting on the bench instead? All the guards will share minutes all year long unless it's glaringly obvious come February one of them just isn't playing well enough. 25-30 minutes per game is about what they'll all get the rest of the year, and that's how it should be.
It's not an argument, it's a point - Cal has historically given his lotto-projected NBA talent much longer leashes than even his other 5-stars that may not make it into the 1st round.

Shep had gotten burned a few times, but so did Edwards, Dillingham, DJ, and Thiero. How often have we seen Cal yank someone for one or two mistakes, but those same or even worse mistakes by his lotto pick projections were allowed to remain?

I understand.

I am not ok with Cal willingness to put our team in an early deficit by not starting our best players and doing the same thing with the lineup at the end of games. Cal has made it very clear that his top priority is getting players to the NBA, so he will always give players with the highest high school ranking the most playing time.

I told my wife Monday during the game that DJ needs to quit q/ the wheeler impersonation; pounding the dribble, and like you said, trying to orchestrate too much instead of initiating and becoming a part...

I agree with you that Reed was good. He found a way to contribute when he wasn't scoring, and a lot of guys don't do that.

That being said: If DJ had 0 points tonight, he would be crucified, regardless of anything else he did. People would say "SEE!!! Cal plays favorites."

Also, I'm not sure the night DJ goes for 22 and 6, we can all sit here and talk about how he isn't as good as other players on the team. He finally had a good game. Let's give him some credit.
But….DJ normally doesn’t impact the game the way Reed can without scoring. DJ is basically a one trick pony. He can play good D and drive to the basket. That’s about it, from what I’ve seen thus far.

I think the +/- stat is useless if I understand it correctly. It's basically just the difference in the players team scoring vs the opponents scoring when that player is on the floor. You could literally never touch the ball and get a great plus minus while another player could go 10 for 10 shooting, but if the other team scores more during that stretch, that player gets a negative +/-. Unless there is something about how this stat is calculated, its useless in my opinion.
What you imply may happen once in a blue moon. I think your take overall is inaccurate. I think +/- allows you to examine how various line ups work and which work the best. Stuffing the stat sheet can be done to the detriment of the team.

But….DJ normally doesn’t impact the game the way Reed can without scoring. DJ is basically a one trick pony. He can play good D and drive to the basket. That’s about it, from what I’ve seen thus far.
And more often than not he hasn’t been able to finish at the rim. Even in the last game the dude was 7/17 - hardly spectacular.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
And more often than not he hasn’t been able to finish at the rim. Even in the last game the dude was 7/17 - hardly spectacular.
Been kinda surprised that he hasn’t been able to finish well through contact. That’s been his go to deal his entire career. Hopefully he improves that aspect. Have a feeling he’s gonna get a ton of shots.

He had 6 assists. That seems like impacting the game other than scoring.

Oh yes...he did if you watched the whole game. He got burned several times. So did a lot of our guys. Reed absolutely had some crucial steals in OT especially but he got burned often in 2H. Both can be true and they were.
Yup. Their quickness was very apparent in the open looks in the corner and uncontested driving layups.

Reactions: bbncal02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT