ADVERTISEMENT

Reed +/- was 16 without scoring a point

I want to be clear.

I don't want DJ on a pedastal. I do want people to stop acting like he had an awful game when he went for 20+ points and 6 assists. I do want to stop hearing about how poor his shooting is when he shot 41%--which maybe isn't a GREAT night, but it's not the terrible shooting night you keep acting like.
He shot 41% but most of his shots occur around the basket which means his shooting percentage should be higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I want to be clear.

I don't want DJ on a pedastal. I do want people to stop acting like he had an awful game when he went for 20+ points and 6 assists. I do want to stop hearing about how poor his shooting is when he shot 41%--which maybe isn't a GREAT night, but it's not the terrible shooting night you keep acting like.
We had three dudes in double digits. One of them DJ. The being Reeves and Tre. Not a peep about their games.

I don't because I have complimented and criticized EVERY player.

Can you say ONE good thing about DJ? I doubt it.
I gave him a compliment tonight when on a fast break he passed the ball to Reeves who had spotted up behind the 3 point line for a made basket. I said he made a good team basketball play.

Wagner 1st half. 2 for 7 for 5 points with 2 rebounds, 2 assists and 2 turnovers, 1 steal. Not very good. I did forget something.... He was -4 in the 1st half which was only better than the -7 by Edwards

2nd half. It was the best half of basketball he's played in a UK uniform. Going by eye test St. Joe's was the 2nd best team we've played so far(no I didn't say they were a good team or a great team before anyone says that).

Wagner was 5-10 overall in the 2nd half and OT with 17 points. He added 4 assists, 1 turnover, and 1 rebound. He was also +11 in the 2nd half and overtime which was by far better than anyone on the team.

Mitchell +4
Edwards +2
Thiero +4
Reeves -2
Dillingham +2
Sheppard +3
Burks +1(didnt play in OT)

The important thing is he can build off of this. Now lets hope he can find some consistency.

I think we go ahead and retire his jersey. The second coming of The Great White Hope
I mean honestly, we should. If this place is to be believed, he'll surpass Michael Jordan in a few years.

He had a solid game. I don't think he was "by far the best player on the team" as some would tell it.

I get it. You're one of those, "Well, yes, but" guys.....

For every silver lining, you see a flash flood.
You seem to be unable to debate this without personal attacks. Labeling me as this or that because I don't agree with you is a poor reflection on you. This is a sports issue. It isn't serious enough for us do anything more than agree to disagree.

You seem to be unable to debate this without personal attacks. Labeling me as this or that because I don't agree with you is a poor reflection on you. This is a sports issue. It isn't serious enough for us do nothing more than agree to disagree.
Agree to disagree is fine.

But to be fair, you accused me of wanting him on a pedestal, so, don't act like your removed from the personal shots. Poor reflection? Ok man; congrats you get the last word and you win if that will make you feel better.

Agree to disagree is fine.

But to be fair, you accused me of wanting him on a pedestal, so, don't act like your removed from the personal shots. Poor reflection? Ok man; congrats you get the last word and you win if that will make you feel better.
How is me saying that you want him on a pedestal being personal? If I had said you are one of those who,,, that would have been personal. However, I didn't do that.

I may be wrong. But I feel Cal left Reed out during crunch time to see how the other two would do during crunch time. He did put Reed in during the last few seconds of regulation, and end of ot. He was testing his team when the game was tight.
He wants to give players confidence to build on. It was either going to work, or it wasn't....it worked.

So when evaluating player efficiency, everyone else counts the free throws. Getting to the line and making them is viewed as a huge positive. Most people don't remove them to say "Well look how inefficient he was without the free throws."

You're so determined to undermine the kid's success, you're saying well let's take away 7 points. LOL.

Look, what you are saying is true. Let me ask you, how many of those FTS came in the offense and how many came during the time when we knew they were going to foul and he happened to be the one holding the ball?

I get what you’re saying. Really, I do. I just think few of Wagner’s FTS came from him driving and getting himself to the line, and the majority came from him just holding the ball when he knew a foul was coming. That’s not the same skill. I’m glad he made them and I think he played a fine game, aside from his hero ball attempts at the end of regulation where he just held the ball and never even considered passing.

All three freshman guards played pretty well. Not perfect defensively by any stretch, but you've got to give St. Joe's guards plenty of credit for their efficiency.

As far as Sheppard, one of the things I like about him is his unselfishness. Can you imagine any other player with his nationally ranked offensive stats who would have only taken 1 shot in 25 minutes? Most guys would have gotten frustrated and forced some bad shots just to "get theirs." Instead, Reed just contributed in other ways...steals, some nice assists, and 4 boards.

He led the team in points with Reeves, led the team in assists, and shot 7/8 from the line. Sheppard had zero points. We needed every one of DJ's points tonight or else we lose. Exactly what else did you want DJ to do?
Finish at the rim through contact. Weve watched him do it. Itd be nice for him to convert with as much confidence it took to drive the ball at that point

I'm unfamiliar with the + / - 16 rating. Exactly what is this and how do you get that number? Is this a new thing?
While a certain player is in the game, its the change in score. Its supposed to put on display the overall effect an individual has on the outcome of a game in general.

Reactions: treyforuk
I thought Reed was fine defensively. He gave up a couple of open shots but what player doesn’t have that happen from time to time ?

He still forced a lot of turnovers . I’ll take him being aggressive and giving up a few open shots here and there if he’s being that disruptive on defense
Reed's also the best passer on the team. He's a hair above Tre in that aspect. All Reed's passes seem like the right ones.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
I will criticize Reed if he misses more layups than he hits. I criticized Shep tonight for not taking open shots and passing the ball to a poorer shooter.

Reed and Reeves both said after the game that they were trying to get DJ going. This team loves each other and they will go as far as that will carry them. I for one prefer a team like that. All great teams are like that. By the time March rolls around, it’s important that the players all have confidence in each other to make a play, down to the last man. If we are still relying on 2 or 3 guys to make a big play at that point, we’re already dead.

This board delivers…day after day, game after game.
“We won! Let me go over to Rafters and sh!t all over the players for a bad game!”

I wish some of you were subjected to public comments on your own daily performance at your job.

Geesh.

Just win.

You really don't have to tear other players down to build others up. The good thing about this team is they're more unselfish than our fans.
LMD does 2 things, and he does them well. 1st, he tears down players relentlessly. 2nd, he denies it.

Reactions: bbncal02
Reed and Reeves both said after the game that they were trying to get DJ going. This team loves each other and they will go as far as that will carry them. I for one prefer a team like that. All great teams are like that. By the time March rolls around, it’s important that the players all have confidence in each other to make a play, down to the last man. If we are still relying on 2 or 3 guys to make a big play at that point, we’re already dead.
This was what I expected was going on with Reed. That is why not playing as much or not taking shots when he had them was OK with him. He is a team player and wants everyone to do well, I believe. Shows how his parents taught him. I have bashed Cal since 2019 and still don't trust his coaching, but we as fans at this point may not know everything that has been discussed with team and coaches. They all may be trying to get the other two members clicking. If that be the case we may really have something to be excited about this season. I just hope I am right.

DJ was the MVP of this game. Anyone thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Reed was not good in the second half, but came back in OT to close it out. Shows how good of a player he is. When he stopped in the lane to ball watch with about a minute or so to go and gave up a wide open 3 late, I can't say I blame Cal for pulling him there. He got beat the time before too. Can't leave him in if they are scoring easy on him.

Guess what... Cal's approach worked!!! Reed took the benching like a good teammate, let it motivate him, and came back and played great in OT

DJ was the MVP of this game. Anyone thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

Reed was not good in the second half, but came back in OT to close it out. Shows how good of a player he is. When he stopped in the lane to ball watch with about a minute or so to go and gave up a wide open 3 late, I can't say I blame Cal for pulling him there. He got beat the time before too. Can't leave him in if they are scoring easy on him.

Guess what... Cal's approach worked!!! Reed took the benching like a good teammate, let it motivate him, and came back and played great in OT
In what way was Sheppard not good? He only took one shot. Will have to look at what you are talking about on D. He does pretty good not giving a clear path to the basket and then getting his arms up when they make their move. As little as he played compared to others and he was a plus 16?

Glad Wagner played better but let us critique him some. He missed some outside shots and driving shots. On the final play in regulation he drives the ball and takes a crazy shot instead of kicking it to a wide open Reeves. I'm sure there are others but that is just a couple of things.

Just read an article on SB Nation and the writer said that the whole world knows that Sheppard and Dillingham are better than Wagner and Edwards yet they don't get to start. Getting steals, rebounds, blocks and playing total team ball to me is a big part of the game and if you have a player that does all that all the time he should be on the floor most of the time.

Maybe get a grown-up to help you with spelling and such.
You ever hit a wrong button before? I think I know watch doesn’t have an x in it but thanks for taking the time to let me know you can spell watch correctly. You win the elementary education award on this forum for the day.

In what way was Sheppard not good? He only took one shot. Will have to look at what you are talking about on D. He does pretty good not giving a clear path to the basket and then getting his arms up when they make their move. As little as he played compared to others and he was a plus 16?

Glad Wagner played better but let us critique him some. He missed some outside shots and driving shots. On the final play in regulation he drives the ball and takes a crazy shot instead of kicking it to a wide open Reeves. I'm sure there are others but that is just a couple of things.

Just read an article on SB Nation and the writer said that the whole world knows that Sheppard and Dillingham are better than Wagner and Edwards yet they don't get to start. Getting steals, rebounds, blocks and playing total team ball to me is a big part of the game and if you have a player that does all that all the time he should be on the floor most of the time.
Reed gave up a couple of open threes a couple of times. I know for sure he was very late on a close out on one dude late int he second. That's when Cal yanked him. Which I get, but also don't get. That' s Cal being Cal though. Then he had that one steal and then threw it right back to St. Joe's. That was the only time Reed really frustrated me last night. He's such a great passer that it's like, "Reed, wth was that?!"

Everyone had a rough night on D. We have to get better there.

DJ had that one layup that went half way down and came back out. Never seen anything like it tbh. I did feel sorry for him on that one. Like, seriously, no one deserves that to happen on the court. He made good slice and it just didn't fall. I did like seeing him trying to attack the basket more. That's what we need him to do, with the occasional outside shot.

I agree with you that Reed was good. He found a way to contribute when he wasn't scoring, and a lot of guys don't do that.

That being said: If DJ had 0 points tonight, he would be crucified, regardless of anything else he did. People would say "SEE!!! Cal plays favorites."

Also, I'm not sure the night DJ goes for 22 and 6, we can all sit here and talk about how he isn't as good as other players on the team. He finally had a good game. Let's give him some credit.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and bbncal02
If anyone has any doubts about the relationship Cal and Reed have, well, a picture is worth a thousand words:

Reed gave up a couple of open threes a couple of times. I know for sure he was very late on a close out on one dude late int he second. That's when Cal yanked him. Which I get, but also don't get. That' s Cal being Cal though. Then he had that one steal and then threw it right back to St. Joe's. That was the only time Reed really frustrated me last night. He's such a great passer that it's like, "Reed, wth was that?!"

Everyone had a rough night on D. We have to get better there.

DJ had that one layup that went half way down and came back out. Never seen anything like it tbh. I did feel sorry for him on that one. Like, seriously, no one deserves that to happen on the court. He made good slice and it just didn't fall. I did like seeing him trying to attack the basket more. That's what we need him to do, with the occasional outside shot.
DJ gave up layup after layup and three after three from the high screen. He clearly isn't capable of solving it.

Reactions: KFuqua
DJ wagner sucks balls. Play zone against him and he is DONE. Toast. Cant shoot like majority of Cal players at guard. Personally i hope he tranfers like the Dukie said.
We dont we win shit with him. Lol wheeler was better💯
Dillingham? Way better

Im done with the drive the basket only ..John Wall type guards. Oh wow he can go left lol.

I agree with you that Reed was good. He found a way to contribute when he wasn't scoring, and a lot of guys don't do that.

That being said: If DJ had 0 points tonight, he would be crucified, regardless of anything else he did. People would say "SEE!!! Cal plays favorites."

Also, I'm not sure the night DJ goes for 22 and 6, we can all sit here and talk about how he isn't as good as other players on the team. He finally had a good game. Let's give him some credit.
Someone criticizing a couple of things with a player, just showing you can look at every player and pick out at least a couple of things. Leave Wagner on the floor if he is playing good. Just don't take your best player off the floor half the game when they are the most efficient player on the team. Leading three point shooter in the country right now that gives you steals, assists, blocks and team play. Why him off the floor of all people? I am just afraid we are going to lose some games because of the coach putting individuals over team.

Someone criticizing a couple of things with a player, just showing you can look at every player and pick out at least a couple of things. Leave Wagner on the floor if he is playing good. Just don't take your best player off the floor half the game when they are the most efficient player on the team. Leading three point shooter in the country right now that gives you steals, assists, blocks and team play. Why him off the floor of all people? I am just afraid we are going to lose some games because of the coach putting individuals over team.
Now, I agree that Reed should be out there late.

Most people that are talking about putting the individdual over the team keep referencing DJ as the example. I didn't think tonight was putting DJ over the team. DJ played well and should have been out there.

I didn't think Edwards played poorly, but I don't like the combination of Edwards and Adou out there in crunch time. We need more shooting, which will open up the the driving lanes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT